Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoke City V Spurs.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    We were lauding our fitness levels earlier in the season but could it be that a lot of the squad are now burned out due to being over trained earlier in the campaign?

Yep, mentioned this a few months ago. The hard or double sessions have a medium term effect. Eventually fatigue accumulates and there isn't the opportunity for recovery, so essentially your goosed!

From 22nd Feb, should go into journalism!
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/94395894
    mushykeogh wrote: »
    A tired looking team. The problem with with really pushing the fitness work is that sooner or later you need an extended break to be able to benefit from it! As the games come thick and fast more recovery is required. Wouldn't be surprised if the lethargy continues for the remainder of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

you were spot on Mushy.

I call it "Fit To Drop"

I remember seeing a program about over training several years ago.

It can fatigue you faster than not training at all.

It can also have a long term effect on your health.

Long term over training can damage Arteries, which in turn can lead to Heart and Brain problems.

So even if you are a ordinary person trying to get fit, don't push yourself too much.

Train for slight STRAIN NOT PAIN

Get fit like you did as a child.........as kids we didn't go off and run like the clappers for miles OR lift weights till our veins were bulging out of our necks.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

you were spot on Mushy.
    even if you are a ordinary person trying to get fit, don't push yourself too much.

Train for slight STRAIN NOT PAIN

Get fit like you did as a child.........as kids we didn't go off and run like the clappers for miles OR lift weights till our veins were bulging out of our necks.

Haha, if fairness Monkiesocks i wouldn't agree with any of that but thats for another day. I definitely think spurs were overcooked in the fitness end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

said it before and ill say it again, its more down to 'not giving a sh*t' t this stage of the season. As soon as the cup final was over the players have metaphorically been on the beach. Its the modern day footballer attitude. We have had nothing to play for and a squad, with very few exceptions, who are happy enough to plod on. Hopefully Potch clears out those who need to go, but with nothing to play for its impossible to motivate a modern day footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Swansea unbelievably won at Woolwich. They've got the bit between their teeth now. If we miss out on Europa League I'll be delighted. The real quality players won't he hanging around for Europa League football, they'll be off anyway. Its only delusional to think otherwise. No better way to start next season than no Thursday night crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Swansea unbelievably won at Woolwich. They've got the bit between their teeth now. If we miss out on Europa League I'll be delighted. The real quality players won't he hanging around for Europa League football, they'll be off anyway. Its only delusional to think otherwise. No better way to start next season than no Thursday night crap.

Who are these "real quality players" you speak of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Who are these "real quality players" you speak of?

Haha

It would be very spursy to finish 7th and villa go and win the cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

People may say it lacks ambition for us to want to finish outside the Europa League places, but we need a break from that crap. I can't do another season watching sh*te football on horrible pitches with crap commentators.

I'm fed up with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

People may say it lacks ambition for us to want to finish outside the Europa League places, but we need a break from that crap. I can't do another season watching sh*te football on horrible pitches with crap commentators.

I'm fed up with it!

Use the remote to change the channel :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I'm fed up with it!

I agree with this but I am a little less caring this time around cos I have found a distraction for next year by taking early retirement and swanning off to the south of Spain next September for seven months or more.

I will tune in for premier league games but not for the crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I'm fed up with it!

Disagree. We should be Europe. Pain that it might bring, we need to be in Europe for the good of the club

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Disagree. We should be Europe. Pain that it might bring, we need to be in Europe for the good of the club

EL Thursday nights, travelling to some clubs of varying quality is probably hard for Premier league players to get excited about. I know they are well paid and should always be professional but it's not the reality. Travelling to some cold out of the way places and barely having time to prepare for weekend Premier league games is counter productive in the quest to qualify for CL.

Even the atmosphere in comparison to CL is clear for all to see.

Personally I think its a big load Bollax. Hopefully Southampton or Swansea Pass us out to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    EL Thursday nights, travelling to some clubs of varying quality is probably hard for Premier league players to get excited about. I know they are well paid and should always be professional but it's not the reality. Travelling to some cold out of the way places and barely having time to prepare for weekend Premier league games is counter productive in the quest to qualify for CL.

Even the atmosphere in comparison to CL is clear for all to see.

Personally I think its a big load Bollax. Hopefully Southampton or Swansea Pass us out to qualify.

Do we really have a chance of getting top 4 next season? No, not a snowballs..

Sickens me to admit it but it's true. City Chelsea and arsenal are miles better than us and united are gonna spend truck loads of cash again so we'll be fighting for 5th spot again.

The only way we will make top 4 anyway soon is if we spend big on really good players... But the really good players won't come to us anyway...

Also, whilst under this control , levy and co. We won't be making top 4, unless our billionaire owner throws a few quid at it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Looks like we're heading back down the road of the big four and everyone else. Sigh.

irishmover wrote: »
    Looks like we're heading back down the road of the big four and everyone else. Sigh.

Put your hands over your eyes, easy.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Do we really have a chance of getting top 4 next season? No, not a snowballs..

If we have no chance of getting Top 4, then we have no chance of winning the Europa League - so what's the point in being in it? The negatives outweigh the positives 10 to 1.

The only positive is that the winner gets Champions League football, but we already know we're not going to win it.

I think we should attempt to duck out of the Europa League as a form of protest. UEFA need to realise how sh*t the tournament is and restructure it.

I would see no problem with qualifying for EL if it was used to blood new players, or playing squad players not getting enough game time in first team. This way it could actually benefit the club.
    Send out your youths and 2nd string with assistant or development manager to away games but not the manager or staff required for the training of the first team. I don't see this happening anytime soon so be the better option if we didn't qualify imo.

I would see no problem with qualifying for EL if it was used to blood new players, or playing squad players not getting enough game time in first team. This way it could actually benefit the club.
    Send out your youths and 2nd string with assistant or development manager to away games but not the manager or staff required for the training of the first team. I don't see this happening anytime soon so be the better option if we didn't qualify imo.

In fairness, this is the one thing I like about Harry. He had his priorities. He put the kids out for the Europa League and the League Cup matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Poch did play the reserves this season in the group games, but played a strong team in the knockout rounds.

I'd love it if we didn't even send our head coach to the away games. That'd put UEFA in its place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement