Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fog of War - Answer Question Wish had been Asked...

• 09-05-2015 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I recently watched the movie, The Fog of War, about Robert McNamara and the 11 lessons from his life. He quoted a line which I had heard before, but hadnt thought too much about at the time, 'Never answer the question that is asked of you. Answer the question that you wish had been asked of you.'

Would someone be able to explain this a little more. Obviously it is not as blunt a case as:
    Q: Sorry mate, would you have the time please?
    A: Could be anywhere, try third door on the right,

It sounds like theres a deeper lesson on wordplay and communications behind it, which interests me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

It sounded like a deep clever statement at the time from an incredibly intelligent man ........ so much so that it's taken on a life of it's own in certain sectors of the business world ......... but the fact is it does not work, it's nonsensical.

Using this method would cause arguments in personal relationships or ruin a deal in business.
    Politics, McNamara's arena, is the only place you may get away with avoiding answering a question as it's almost expected but even politicians have been caught when trying to implement the "McNamara Rule" when being interviewed by particularly diligent reporters.

I remember seeing a few clips of politicians (American I think) using the "McNamara Rule" and being called on it .......... one called-out politician replied "You get to ask the questions you like, I get to give the answers I like" to which the reporter retorts "That was a response, not an answer ........ can you just answer the question I asked please?"

Basically if you don't want to answer a question then just say so rather than embarrassing yourself by trying to cleverly dodge the question and end up looking foolish.

Advertisement