Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 month old and talking

Options
  • 09-05-2015 12:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi

Have an 18 month child all seems fine. Walking fine etc. points at things when he wants them. Puts his arms up when he knows his jumper is bring taken off. Points at shoes when he wants to go outside.

Thing is he hasbt really started talking. Mumbles a lot of rubbish and jibberish but nothing like a proper word. Maybe sometimes mama.

Should I be worried ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Eh no. 26 month old here and he's still not talking. Had hearing checked and it's fine and he can process orders etc. it'll come.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

My guy didn't say a word until he was over 2. I knew he could hear just fine so had no concerns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Good to know. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I wouldn't worry at all. I've found they do it in fits and starts so suddenly he'll have loads of words and then nothing for another while. 18 months is still very young btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I was starting to worry about my guy till I read this, he's 19mths and only really says mamma, gone and oooh! He waffles away in his own brand of gobbledygook and is quite expressive. He makes car sounds when he points at cars and waggles his finger when we say no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Hi

Have an 18 month child all seems fine. Walking fine etc. points at things when he wants them. Puts his arms up when he knows his jumper is bring taken off. Points at shoes when he wants to go outside.

Thing is he hasbt really started talking. Mumbles a lot of rubbish and jibberish but nothing like a proper word. Maybe sometimes mama.

Should I be worried ?

Aw 18 months is still really young! They all progress at such different rates :) And the fact that you say he "mumbles a lot of rubbish and jibberish" means he is practising and getting ready to say words :) I love listening to my little one's baby talk - babyhood lasts such a short time - in no time at all they will be mini teenagers :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

You've nothing to worry about.

My son had maybe 2 or 3 words at 18mths, loads of gobbledygook though.

By 2 he maybe had only 15 words and no sentences/joining of words. We went for a speech & language assessment and she said not to worry, he's a little behind but that's normal for loads of kids & they just catch up when they're good and ready.

Went back 3-4mths later and same again, she said just carry on, he's progressing in his own time & reassess at the age of 3.

So I'm keeping a finger in the SLT pie but nothing official being done. He's 2 and 9mths now and has probably 200 words and plenty of small sentences. He's getting there in his own time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Talk to your PHN and see if she has any concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

we were worried about our fella as well as he was pushing the 2 and hadn't a huge amount of words, then what seemed like overnight his vocabulary exploded.

As my sister said ..... 'it was like someone just turned him on'

patience, it will all come in time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The worst is when you have a friend with a similar aged child that has loads of words. But no, it's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

My Little guy just went 2 in march, he has a lot of words and understands everything, id say in the space of two weeks we saw a huge difference in him, he has started to repeat what we ask him (when he feels like it) but still no sentences.

I was at a 2 yr old party last week and a little guy there who is not 2 until June was chatting away with full sentences. At first i taught wow, why is my guy not talking like this, but they really are so different. You will be amazed at how quick they pick stuff. At 18 months our little fella had very few words. Id say it was about 20/22 months when his words started to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Hi

Should I be worried ?

Wouldn't worry, once he starts with a few words he will start flying. My little guy is also 18 months, last month he had only 2 or 3 words, this month he has countless and can even put some together. Plus it can be so funny when they start, he had me in stitches yesterday trying to say zucchini and struggling with the syllables.

Advertisement