Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool runnings

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

28th Oct-3rd Nov

Only a couple of runs this week, for 10 miles. Various things getting in the way - work, and a climbing trip to Kerry. And the yellow weather warning led to an abort on the climb after about 90 minutes. Started a S&C class on the Wednesday evening. Was just a recce to improve my own efforts, but it was really good, and I think I'll stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

New here. 13 miles yesterday. Going for 10 today. Running since 2011 but never done a marathon. 2020 will be the year!

New here. 13 miles yesterday. Going for 10 today. Running since 2011 but never done a marathon. 2020 will be the year!

Cool. Good luck with it. There are marathon threads on here specifically for newbies, with training plans, advice, etc. They can be a great help.

Nov 4th-10th

Three runs for 13 miles. Gym sessions. parkrun aborted after getting a little too close to the moshpit at Machine Head on Friday night. Ow.

Nov 11th-17th

Only two runs for 12 miles. Ribs still quite sore. It's right where I bruised it when I fell heavily trail running a few years back, so maybe that explains it a bit. Got the S&C in, though with difficulty.

• Advertisement

Nov 18th-24th

Just the 2 runs again this week, for 10 miles. A combination of work and c*******s season, also resulting in missing the S&C. Must do better.

25th-1st Dec

Deja vu all over again! Monday to Wednesday 2 runs (11 miles) and S&C session. Thursday-Sunday nada. Work/parties. Will do better this week.

2nd-8th December

Three runs/gym and S&C session. One of which was Tymon parkrun. Didn't expect to get anywhere near the last effort, but in the event I was only 10 seconds off, which was pretty good because I haven't been training as hard. It was also a much more controlled effort. No undignified finish line dry-heaving this time out. I ran within myself and never got near the red line until I hit the 3 mile mark. 16 miles for the week.

PS: I spent some time last night reading back my old posts on here since the knee problems manifested themselves. An instructive exercise, as it made me realise how far I have come since posting that my running 'career' was finito.

9th-29th December

Very little done. 5 runs in 3 weeks for 26 miles.

298 miles in all during 2019.

Dec 30th-Jan 5th
    Started the new year as I mean to go on. Three runs for 15 miles. One of which was Tymon parkrun, and while I was expecting/hoping for an improvement, my last crack at it was on Dec 7th, so any gain at all on the 23.23 recorded that day would have been welcome.

In the event, I was pleasantly surprised. It was another smooth, controlled run, but my first mile was 15-20 seconds quicker, and I lost none of that time and even clawed a few more seconds over miles 2 & 3. Approaching the last bend though, it was too close to call, so I was forced to hit 6 min mile pace so I could cross the line in 22-something. 22.57 officially, in fact, and that's a course record for me. Very happy with that.

PS: And just a brief finish line pause, while my breakfast decided whether to stay in my stomach or not 😀

• Advertisement

Jan 6-12th

Three runs for 15 miles, and a S&C session. Pace settling down to a nice range between 8.30 and about 8.50 for the most part. The odd thing is that, relatively speaking, I'm feeling more comfortable at parkrun pace (about 7.00-7.30) than 'Easy'. Funny that.

Jan 13-19th

5 runs, S&C. 22 miles in total. Dragged myself out of bed for parkrun on a bitterly cold Saturday morning. Was going quite well, managed a sub-7 min mile, then made the mistake of taking the 22 minute pacer at his word that he was on pace. Approached the last corner and checked the watch, to discover that I had 11 seconds to cover about 70 metres. And this with the pacer about 15 metres back! Finished hard but to no avail. Even so, a new course PB of 22.11 officially was more than welcome. A sub-22 next, hopefully, followed by a sub-7 min pace run. And after that, there are a couple of scalps on my hitlist.

Jan 20th-Feb 4th

11 runs for 52 miles. Since Feb 4th I have been unable to run at all. The knee has swollen up pretty badly. No idea why, apart from the fact that I was running at all. Also I completed a fairly strenuous climb of Lugnaquilla. Apart from that, I can't pin it down to any specific incident. Will have to wait and see if it subsides, with anti-inflammatories and RICE.

Feb 5th-Mar 7th

For the past month I have been gradually re-establishing some routine. No running, the knee is still swollen, but I can get around at least. This week I managed 4 gym sessions: mostly upper-body stuff, weights, leg lifts, crunches. I also realised the leg will take a bit of work on the cross-trainer, so yesterday I did 10k, and today 8 more.

Mar 8th-14th

Only because I will forget, and there's no Garmin data, because I'm on a darn cross-trainer....Sunday 10k & gym, Tuesday 8k & gym, Wednesday 10k & gym, Thursday 3k (hard) & gym.

Edit: Snuck down to the club gym (officially CLOSED) and did 10k on the CT plus gymmage.

1st April-present

Decided, since I cannot run, to treat walking the way I used to run. So 7 miles a day for the last couple of months; 200+ since the beginning of April, and well on course for the same this month. I'm even throwing in a 'long walk' at the weekends. It keeps some of the weight off, at least.

Advertisement