Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finger food ideas

• 09-05-2015 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

We will be having a christening soon. Family will be going to Restaurant for a meal and afterwards we'll have them and some more friends etc back in our house.

Can you suggest some ideas for finger food? We plan to have a cheese board.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Homemade sausage rolls with apple and thyme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Cocktail sausages. Everyone loves cocktail sausages. Plain ones, sticky ones, bacon wrapped ones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Crudites - healthy and you can prepare in advance and keep in the fridge. Sliced peppers, carrots, cucumbers, olives, brocollli, bread sticks etc on a large platter, with a flavoured hummus dip (tesco do a fab cumin/moroccon flavoured one), homemade sour cream and chives etc etc...

Smoked salmon on cambridges brown bread, with a horseradish flavoured mayo, sprig of dill on top....can be kept in fridge also (make bite size)

Some little slices of crusty bread, spread with a good quality pate, and topped with an onion relish.

That leaves your oven free for some hot homemade pastries, cheese, sausage filled, some wings or ribs etc.

Little triangle of sambos always go down well.

I'd love nibbles, can you guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I've never known anyone to gobble down vegetable crudites at a party, ever.

Cocktail sausages are always a winner, OP, as are sandwiches..do a selection and cut them in triangles.
    You could have sausage rolls too, mini ones, or what about onion rings, chicken goujons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

fussyonion wrote: »
    I've never known anyone to gobble down vegetable crudites at a party, ever.

Cocktail sausages are always a winner, OP, as are sandwiches..do a selection and cut them in triangles.
    You could have sausage rolls too, mini ones, or what about onion rings, chicken goujons?

People do eat crudites if offered I find. Not everyone wants breaded, processed food anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Cocktail sausages cooked in the oven coated with honey and whole grain mustard. Guaranteed they're will be none left after the party.
    Get the tomato bread from lidl slice it, top with pasta sauce and cheese. Pop them in the oven for a while.
    Selection of sandwiches always work - good soakage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I would eat my bodyweight in crudités and hummus. Little chicken satay skewers always go down well also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Devils on horseback. Yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

I love salami and cream cheese roll ups.
    You can buy german peppered salami in aldi and cream cheese with herbs or pepper etc. You could fix them with a cocktail stick and an olive or you could just place them on ritz crackers.

I also like raw veg and houmous. If you can get little disposable mini containers smaller than a paper cup and bigger than a shot glass, you could put in a spoon of houmous and have 3 or 4 pieces of cruidities standing in it. ( green bean, mange tout, carrot, pepper )

I like smoked salmon on brown bread, garnish with lemon slices and dill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Aldi have mini burger buns which look like the same bread as those large floury baps you get.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/bakery/rolls-products/rolls-products-detail-page/ps/p/mini-burger-buns/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

OP if you haven't got a lot of helping hands you should keep it simple. Guests arriving later would understand you've already had your meal prior to that and been on the go all day.
    So as suggested by other posters:
    Sandwiches (2 varieties)
    Smoked salmon platter
    Cocktail sausages (the one with honey+mustard sounds divine)
    Chicken wings
    Nachos + dips

...Should be plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 asjasia

tortilla rolls cut into small pieces filled with cream cheese and salmon or chicken filet and pesto for example
    bruscetta
    mushroom-eggplant marinated and baked in the oven, presented on a stick like satay
    hummus with pita bread
    fruitsticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Buy a few french breads or similar, cut the up, dip in olive oil and season, put in oven until toasting. Take out, add some good quality sundried pesto, then add buffalo mozzarella or goats cheese. You can also add things like jalapenos, roasted peppers, salami, all sorts of things. Very tasty and easy. Stick back in oven for a few mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

crusty bread with olive oil in the oven for a couple minutes...top with black pudding and a little brie to melt down over it...yum!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

IMV it's important not to have to do too much work when you get back from your own meal!!

I hope you have a lovely day.

As others have said, there is nothing, and I mean nothing, that will beat cocktail saussies. Into the oven, plain or dressed, doesn't matter, they are always gobbled up. Make sure you have cocktail sticks!

Mini sausage rolls are always a winner too.

Then triple decker sandwiches cut into strips. Brown, white, brown. Take the crusts off for best effect! Looks fantastic and you can vary the fillings, and put in the fridge when made, for when you return. Settle them with a cocktail stick per strip.

A bowl of potato salad, coleslaw, and pasta salad always works too.

If you can put a tray of skinny chips in the oven with the sausages, they will all love you too. It's not a day for healthy eating really, it is what it is.

Then the boldies..... crisps, peanuts, taco crisps and the like with a bowl of dips.

Enjoy.

Advertisement