Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Works 8.5 on new computer

Options
  • 09-05-2015 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

We bought an ASUS transfomer book. There is no CD drive in this laptop

We have a Microsoft works 8.5 disk that I bought a few years ago. There is also a tracking ID on the back of the case the disk came in.

Can we install works 8.5 on the new laptop without using the disk, i.e. can we use this tracking id online to install Works 8.5 ?

I dont want to unpack the laptop to try it in case I need to return it,

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Works is a dead product; it was discontinued 7 years ago. It won't be able to edit or even open modern document formats.
    You'd be better off with something like LibreOffice.

If for some reason you really want Works, you're going to have to track down a download link somewhere. Microsoft don't offer it for download anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 peppythepew

maki wrote: »
    Works is a dead product; it was discontinued 7 years ago. It won't be able to edit or even open modern document formats.
    You'd be better off with something like LibreOffice.

If for some reason you really want Works, you're going to have to track down a download link somewhere. Microsoft don't offer it for download anymore.

Thanks, don't really want it, just don't want to buy office.

Have just been doing a bit of reading there and think we will just go with libreoffice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If you have documents that you created previously in Works and want to open them again, OpenOffice would open them, I believe. LibreOffice is a great choice too but not sure if its compatible with Works format documents.

Above all, don't install Works! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

In fairness the free LibreOffice is likely going to be vastly superior to Works 8.5. It should be possible to copy the CD files onto a USB Key and install that way (although compatibility with Windows 8.1 may not be guaranteed) but you'll get a better experience with LibreOffice or else Office 2013

Nick

Advertisement