Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows 8.1 cracked - options

Options
  • 09-05-2015 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

I bought a reletively new HP laptop from a guy on Adverts yesterday. However, on closer inspection I see that the hard drive was wiped of the original windows 8 installation and replaced with a hacked version of 8.1 pro. I would ideally like to go back to the original install. Apart from trying to track someone down with a similar laptop and getting a backup from them is there anything I can do (given that the key should be in the bios)?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

You need to retrieve the key from the BIOS using something like this (Look for the MSDM tab, the product key will be on the right in the plain text section), then plug the key in here to download the ISO.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

maki wrote: »
    You need to retrieve the key from the BIOS using something like this (Look for the MSDM tab, the product key will be on the right in the plain text section), then plug the key in here to download the ISO.

Thanks for that Maki. I should have been a bit more on the ball. If I had checked device manager I would have seen that there were a load of devices not installed. It's a nice laptop for what I paid for it and the battery is holding well but a little bit more worn than was made out do be (signs of been on the lap).

I'm getting an error that says that this product key can not be used to install a retail version of windows (windows 8) It tells me it's the wrong key for windows 8.1)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

I'm getting an error that says that this product key can not be used to install a retail version of windows (windows 8) It tells me it's the wrong key for windows 8.1)

I think you need to locate a stock image of 8.0 install it and use windows update to get to 8.1. If the laptop shipped with 8.0 the key isn't valid for 8.1 install/activation AFAIK

tnegun wrote: »
    I think you need to locate a stock image of 8.0 install it and use windows update to get to 8.1. If the laptop shipped with 8.0 the key isn't valid for 8.1 install/activation AFAIK

Agreed. I will work from that angle. I think the stock iso should also be able to see the key in the bios (although I've used Nirsoft's handy tool ).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Agreed. I will work from that angle. I think the stock iso should also be able to see the key in the bios (although I've used Nirsoft's handy tool ).

Hey mate if you type In Microsoft software share into google you will find a page on redit where the guys sell Microsoft activation keys but the along the right hand side you will see links to original Microsoft iso files.

Ah sorry, wrong link.
    This is the one, although you'll have to know the exact edition the laptop shipped with (likely regular edition).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

It'll detect the key in the BIOS when you install so you shouldn't actually need to type it in manually.

It's because he has an OEM key and that page is only for retail keys.

The OEM and Retail key are usually interchangeable(Although I've only ever used retail iso's from MSDN and haven't had an issue with OEM keys) it would be an issue if he had the volume key though. Showing my age now with systems shipping with they key in the bios is this key used to activate on first boot from the factory or do they still ship with a volume licence from the factory image?

I don't like the "install 8.0 then upgrade to 8.1" method because at the end of the day, you're upgrading the OS and I've never been comfortable with doing this.

It is possible to clean install 8.1 with an 8.0 key, you have two options.

- Use a tool to copy the ISO to a USB flash drive and add an ei.cfg file. Place it in \sources and with the following contents. This will bypass the key check during setup. You can then use your 8.0 key in the System control panel applet once setup is complete.
    [EditionID]

[Channel]
    OEM
    [VL]

- Or, use any dodgy key you can find on the net just to get past the install page, then once the OS is installed, change the key in the System control panel applet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't 8.1 a free upgrade from 8?
    Why bother cracking it?

Sounds like the laptop originally came with the Core/Home version of 8.0 and a pirated copy of 8.1 Pro was installed.

The OEM and Retail key are usually interchangeable(Although I've only ever used retail iso's from MSDN and haven't had an issue with OEM keys) it would be an issue if he had the volume key though. Showing my age now with systems shipping with they key in the bios is this key used to activate on first boot from the factory or do they still ship with a volume licence from the factory image?

They're interchangeable from an installation and activation point of view, but the site linked won't accept OEM or dummy keys. I'm pretty sure it used to accept dummy keys, so they must have changed something.

For OEM Windows 8 systems, activation is done on first boot using a unique product key and hardware hash.

Karsini wrote: »
    Sounds like the laptop originally came with the Core/Home version of 8.0 and a pirated copy of 8.1 Pro was installed.

That's exactly what happened. I've upgrade from a clean 8.0 install to 8.1 many times. I don't mind having to do it but anyone who has done it knows it takes the best part of two days!

I have seen many a laptop with the original install blown out of it and win 7 ultimate or 8.1 pro just flung onto it. Techs think they're doing a customer a favour by not having any manufacturer bloatware installed or giving the punter full reign of the drive. Personally I think it's a pig lazy thing to do. It doesn't take that long to pick out the shareware games and utilities and give the customer a laptop or computer with an easy recovery path.

Karsini wrote: »
    I don't like the "install 8.0 then upgrade to 8.1" method because at the end of the day, you're upgrading the OS and I've never been comfortable with doing this.
    If it was major OS version I'd agree with you but this would be a fresh build and 8.1 is more of a service pack/feature bundle than upgrading to a completely new operating system. The easiest way for the OP to do it is install and activate the 8.0 and upgrade to 8.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Alternatively, wipe and install Windows 10 Pro. Microsoft have just confirmed (as I predicted) that they will let you upgrade to the final version of Windows 10 Pro when it is launched in the next few months. For free. Installing Windows 10 from scratch is generally very quick (about half an hour) and hassle free.

Advertisement