Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving classes and stamps

Options
  • 09-05-2015 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Can an ADI instructor deny putting stamps the logbook after each driving lesson?

My wife is taking driving lesson in Dublin and she has taken 3 lessons with the same instructor, he as refused to put any stamp or comment every single time, according to him because her level is not good enough.

After taking and paying for 3 lesson, I am wondering if that is normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

mauro007 wrote: »
    Can an ADI instructor deny putting stamps the logbook after each driving lesson?

My wife is taking driving lesson in Dublin and she has taken 3 lessons with the same instructor, he as refused to put any stamp or comment every single time, according to him because her level is not good enough.

I don't know however if he's telling her after each lesson her level isn't good enough, I would be getting another instructor. Isn't the first lesson the different bits and bobs in the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

mauro007 wrote: »

Report him to the RSA. What he's doing is complete bullshít. Find a different instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

thelad95 wrote: »
    Report him to the RSA. What he's doing is complete bullshít. Find a different instructor.

id second that. disgraceful carry on. must be knocking your wifes confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The stamps in the log book don't matter anymore. The ADI needs to be logging the lessons as complete on her driver account on the RSA's website. They are what the RSA & NDLS need to see, before she can sit her driving test. ADI's no longer need to use a log book & drivers no longer need to produce it for the test. Does your wife know that? Has she asked him about uploading her lessons online instead? Is he not giving her any verbal feedback on what she needs to improve on?

The logbook still acts as a book of receipts for the learner so situations like this can be avoided. If he's refusing to stamp and sign the logbook you can be pretty sure he's not logging them online either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

I would change instructor and report them - 3 hours for lesson 1 is just a scam imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mauro007

Thanks a lot to everyone for your feedback.

Just to provide more information, my wife had initially 4 lessons with other instructor, the logbook was filler and everything was fine, unfortunaly the hours the he was available wasn't suitable for my wife, so she had to get another instructor.

With the new instructor that I mentioned in my previous post, he gave to my wife 3 lesson and he did refuse to put the stamp or record any information in the logbook in any of the 3 lessons because of the "poor progress" and to be honest we were not aware that the lesson are uploaded online too, but as ProudDUB and thelad95 mentioned i guess he didn't record anything online.

We going to stop using this instructor, he was stressing my wife and intimidating her, for instance he was giving out to her for not changing the gears properly which might cause 900 euros to replace. To be honest he manage to known down her confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mauro007

Thanks a lot to everyone for your feedback.

Just to provide more information, my wife had initially 4 lessons with other instructor, the logbook was filler and everything was fine, unfortunaly the hours the he was available wasn't suitable for my wife, so she had to get another instructor.

With the new instructor that I mentioned in my previous post, he gave to my wife 3 lesson and he did refuse to put the stamp or record any information in the logbook in any of the 3 lessons because of the "poor progress" and to be honest we were not aware that the lesson are uploaded online too, but as ProudDUB and thelad95 mentioned i guess he didn't record anything online.

We going to stop using this instructor, he was stressing my wife and intimidating her, for instance he was giving out to her for not changing the gears properly which might cause 900 euros to replace. To be honest he managed to known down her confident.

What a chancer. Tell him you are going to report him to the RSA, unless he uploads the lessons. The area of lack of progress is a bit of grey area, especially if the ADI genuinely feels that the student is not making any progress during the lessons. But not to sign off on all three of the lessons is just not on.

It doesn't matter if the 'student' spends the whole lesson conking the car out in the carpark, he should still record it and log it. I'd recommend ringing him, and threaten reporting him to the RSA if he doesn't record the lessons online. There may also be reason to bring him to the small claims court.

I'd nearly wonder if he is actually an ADI, wouldn't surprise if he was a scam given the details you've provided so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

ProudDUB wrote: »
    ......ADI's no longer need to use a log book.....

This statement isn't accurate. A logbook is still required so that the ADI can upload a pupil's lessons against a logbook number. If there's no logbook number the lessons can't be uploaded and allocated to a specific learner and their driver number.

The whole situation needs a little bit more explanation. The first lesson taken by your wife, with her initial instructor, was that her first time behind a wheel? Was she very inexperienced as in a total beginner?

This statement isn't accurate. A logbook is still required so that the ADI can upload a pupil's lessons against a logbook number. If there's no logbook number the lessons can't be uploaded and allocated to a specific learner and their driver number.

I know, it's the stamps in the log book that aren't needed. (Unless the learner wants to have their own physical record of the lessons, in the event of a dispute.) The RSA go by the online logging of the lessons, not the stamps in the book.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I know, it's the stamps in the log book that aren't needed. (Unless the learner wants to have their own physical record of the lessons, in the event of a dispute.) The RSA go by the online logging of the lessons, not the stamps in the book.

It's also very helpful as a tool if used correctly. The pupil has a record of how they've performed and what they've to work on. They can easily forget what they've been told verbally. The logbook still has to be purchased by the ADI and each lesson recorded against it

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Like said above - if progress isn't being made very well then that should be commented in the logbook (e.g. "Today we did left turns and bla blahblah"). This guy is refusing to even do that.

Btw OP you can check your online lessons here:

http://rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Driver-Training/Car-Training-EDT/My-EDT/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Red Fred

By filling the logbook and stamping it doesn't necessarily mean that the student is fully up to standard on the topic covered - it just means it has been been covered- the feedback section should detail anything that needs to be worked on.

The purpose of the logbook is as a record/diary for the student to see their progress or what they need to work on and also to record any questions they may think of between lessons.

As said already I'd demand that instructor fills out the lessons completed and if he refuses report him to the RSA.

Advertisement