Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help! how to zoom Nikon D3200!?

• 09-05-2015 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Total SLR newbie here. I can zoom a bit by manually turning the circular lens but I expected to be able to zoom alot closer than that? ? Button w magnifying glass and +sign on left of screen doesn't seem to do anything? ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I'm guessing it's the kit lens that came with the camera that you're using? 18mm-55mm?

If you look at the top of the lens, and twist it so the marker is at 18mm that is the lowest setting, twist it over to 55mm that is as far as it will zoom.

If you want more zoom you would need to purchase a telephoto lens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Boll*x are you serious. What's the button with the magnifying glass on it for then?

Just going from memory from my old D5000. The Zoom + and Zoom - are just for zooming in on a photo in playback mode that you have already taken. To zoom in and check something in the background of a photo for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

It's a pretty versatile range though, it's a wide angle -> a short telephoto so it should do the job for 99% of general photography activities. When you say 'zoom closer' though are you talking about making further things look bigger? or getting physically closer to small things and still be able to focus on them? For the first then you need a lens with a larger focal length. For the second depending on how close you DO want to go you might need what's referred to as a 'macro' lens which allows you to get quite physically close to something, or alternatively a lens that has a better close focusing distance than the 18-55 (I don't know what it's is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Silva360

The + and - are simply to enlarge (or reduce) the photo on the LCD screen. You could always crop, but then you degrade the quality of the image. I'm afraid you'll need a longer lens than 18-55 if you want to zoom in closer in the field.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,046 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's no way of zooming on DSLRs without manually twisting or pulling a barrel on the lens.

Thank you all. Unfortunately before I got replies to this thread I pressed every button and turned every knob on the thing and now I seem to have fecked it up. I am reading the manual btw before you say 'read the manual!' I'm on page 20 something. I reckon I either adjusted shutter speed, aperature or something else. Now I can only take photos when the lens is at the '18' mark. If I zoom at all the picture is fuzzy. I might need to take it into a camera shop and get it reset (will buy a telephoto lens while I'm at it). I was trying to make things further away look bigger

Sounds like you have it set to manual mode with manual focus. You really should learn how to use the camera in manual mode or else an SLR is wasted on you and a regular cheaper point & click would suit you better tbh.

Try, switch the main knob on the camera to the green AUTO mode and then on the lens switch it from M to A. That should help?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,046 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you have a switch like the 'A/M' one on the side of your lens?
    if so, check it - this is the autofocus/manual focus switch. set it back to A if it's on M.

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3200/D3S_8400-left-1200.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

Surely you are taking the mickey?

• Advertisement

do you have a switch like the 'A/M' one on the side of your lens?
    if so, check it - this is the autofocus/manual focus switch. set it back to A if it's on M.

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3200/D3S_8400-left-1200.jpg
    MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Sounds like you have it set to manual mode with manual focus. You really should learn how to use the camera in manual mode or else an SLR is wasted on you and a regular cheaper point & click would suit you better tbh.

Try, switch the main knob on the camera to the green AUTO mode and then on the lens switch it from M to A. That should help?

That sorted it thanks! I'll be ready for the next occasion....I wrote this thread while in the church on Sat :eek: so too late for those photos but next time I'll know what I'm at

Surely you are taking the mickey?

It must be amazing to be born with an innate knowledge of how everything works and never have to learn a new skill from scratch, what's that like??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

It is amazing.

Seriously though - you gotta see where I might think you are taking the mickey?

Advertisement