Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U Mag - best beauty buys 2015

Options
  • 09-05-2015 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Did anyone see this weeks U Magazine 2015 best beauty Buys? What did you think of the results ?

Some of the winners were no surprise - UD naked as best eye shadows, Mac studio fix as best foundation, Smashbox as best primer etc.

However were definitely a few in there that I haven't tried and must pick up:
    Rimmel exaggerate gel liner as best eyeliner, Kate moss range for rimmel as best lipsticks and Benefit dandelion as best blusher.

There were some good tanning and body products as well which I'll hopefully try.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Have been using Smashbox primer for years and love it. I always recommend it if asked.

I've heard great things about the Kate Moss Rimmel lipsticks but haven't gotten a chance to try them. I read Benefit Dandelion was being discontinued though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I have one of the Kate Moss lipsticks, I only picked it up coz I needed something to make up the 3 for 2. I was always a lipgloss person but with the creamy texture of lipstick and its long lasting, it's actually nearly converted me over to lipstick. Or maybe I'm just growing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Rimmel Kate Moss 107 has been and always will be one of my favourite lipsticks. I will give Rimmel credit though, for a drugstore brand, their lip products are very good.

Dandelion I'm not too sure about. Had it as part of a Christmas set for a few years but I've never found it amazing, I think it's meant to be a brightening shade for people who aren't as ghostly pale as I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 copea2

Tried to get the Rimmel eye liner yesterday but both places I tried were sold out.

Will definitely try out the Kate Moss lipsticks so.

Might give the dandelion a miss then. Nars Orgasm came in second and I love that blusher so think I'll stick with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

Smashbox definitely wins for me anyway. It's the only primer I use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

I was keen to try wearing red lipsticks and purchased one of the Kate Moss range.

I stopped using it when I found out that lipsticks use ground up cochineal beetle carcases to create the red pigment found in them.

~Gross, huh? I only buy natural cosmetics now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    I was keen to try wearing red lipsticks and purchased one of the Kate Moss range.

I stopped using it when I found out that lipsticks use ground up cochineal beetle carcases to create the red pigment found in them.

~Gross, huh? I only buy natural cosmetics now.

Um...and beetles/bugs aren't natural? :confused:

Malari wrote: »
    Um...and beetles/bugs aren't natural? :confused:

Right. I think you're kind of missing the point there. Beetles are used to make lipsticks. There's nothing natural about grinding up carcasses for make-up... unless I've got it wrong?

Right. I think you're kind of missing the point there. Beetles are used to make lipsticks. There's nothing natural about grinding up carcasses for make-up... unless I've got it wrong?

I knew the point you were making, but if you buy natural cosmetics you are much more likely to have ground bug (not beetle) cases in your lipstick than a synthetic substitute.

Edit: And I forgot I came in to ask what they recommended as a pressed powder! OP, is there a link or do you have to buy the mag!?

Malari wrote: »
    but if you buy natural cosmetics you are much more likely to have ground bug (not beetle) cases in your lipstick than a synthetic substitute.

Not the case at all. You should read the ingredients list on natural cosmetics.

Anyway, what you're saying doesn't even dignify a response if I'm honest. If you're happy putting dead beetle carcass on your body then I'll leave you to it.

• Advertisement

Not the case at all. You should read the ingredients list on natural cosmetics.

Anyway, what you're saying doesn't even dignify a response if I'm honest. If you're happy putting dead beetle carcass on your body then I'll leave you to it.

It wouldn't really bother me. They've been used for thousands of years for food dye as well, so chances are if they are not on your lips they have passed your lips.

Anyhoo, just struck me as a bit of a contradiction when you said it. Never mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

I wouldn't pay any attention to any magazine's 'Top' beauty picks...
    They are all picked according to how many freebies the company provides.
    I interned in a certain magazine and was amazed at how much editorial was influenced by advertising and freebies and friends..
    I would say about 95% of a magazine is influenced profusely by advertising and other stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

rustyzip wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay any attention to any magazine's 'Top' beauty picks...
    They are all picked according to how many freebies the company provides.
    I interned in a certain magazine and was amazed at how much editorial was influenced by advertising and freebies and friends..
    I would say about 95% of a magazine is influenced profusely by advertising and other stuff...

I think that's the point of this thread though, finding out if the best buys are actually worthy of the title?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 copea2

The magazine says it was 'voted for by you' so I assumed it was the readers who voted. I know I voted in one of their polls before.

I can't find it online so might only be in the mag.

@malari the best finishing powder was rimmel stay Matt powder and runners up were Mac mineralise and max factor creme puff powder.

As someone said above rimmel seem to do quite well for a drug store brand!

Advertisement