Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you HUNGRY for a half marathon

Options
  • 09-05-2015 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Looks like good value..

This is a downhill, road, point to point half marathon from Kilbehenny, Co. Cork to Cahir, Co. Tipperary, losing over 70 meters in height from start to finish.
    Part of the Ballyhoura Active Series.
    €35 online entry incls: registration, chip timing, technical t-shirt, goody bag, 2 course meal, showers.

Register at https://www.mynextrun.com/cahir-downhill-half-marathon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Going to give this a go seeing as it finishes a few hundred yards from the in-laws front door. Therefore won't be partaking of the '2 course meal' as can't pass up on mammy in laws sunday roast:)

my only gripe is the name, it's going to take away from my achievements and effort when describing where I got my half marathon PB, Downhill Half marathon indeed:mad:

Think the course is pretty undulating with the 'Downhill' aspect really only happening as you leave the old Cork road and head into the centre of Cahir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I signed up for this race today and I'm looking forward to it. It may well be net downhill but as sideswipe mentioned I reckon that old road is lumpy enough, although it is a while since I've been on it...
    Either way the surface should be good all the way what with it being on an old primary route and I'm looking forward to doing a point to point road race for a change.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I like the idea of the free food :D Shame it's so close to IM!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Do they run a bus back to the start to get your car? Since it is point to point?

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    Do they run a bus back to the start to get your car? Since it is point to point?

I think it's a case of parking in Cahir and getting a bus to the start AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

My marathon training ground, have run this course so many times I'll have to sign up to race this.
    Not flat by any means, lots of drags, dips and long straights...very good surface though with a big hard shoulder the whole way into Cahir. As mentioned already most of the height is lost from the junction down to Cahir castle. Headquarters is at Duneske leisure centre where there is plenty of parking and then your bused out to the start.

Headquarters is at Duneske leisure centre where there is plenty of parking and then your bused out to the start.

That's great, I wasn't sure how they were going to do that. It's like a yellow pack Boston marathon. :D

To be fair, there's a lot being got here for 35 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

Toffeeboy wrote: »
    Looks like good value..

This is a downhill, road, point to point half marathon from Kilbehenny, Co. Cork to Cahir, Co. Tipperary, losing over 70 meters in height from start to finish.
    Part of the Ballyhoura Active Series.
    €35 online entry incls: registration, chip timing, technical t-shirt, goody bag, 2 course meal, showers.

Register at https://www.mynextrun.com/cahir-downhill-half-marathon

Can you be more specific.. which two courses? :pac:

physiopad wrote: »
    Can you be more specific.. which two courses? :pac:

It could be main course and desert- or put another way packet of Tayto and mars bar!

Mods any chance of amending the heading of this to include race name and date.

Cahir Downhill Half Marathon- 12/7/15

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

This looks like a good half, Easy access as it is just off the motorway, Very tempted to sign up.
    Is this the first year that it will be run?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

boydkev wrote: »
    This looks like a good half, Easy access as it is just off the motorway, Very tempted to sign up.
    Is this the first year that it will be run?

yes and i believe the last. the club running it are very good.
    Good crowd signed up already.

Ran the route for this yesterday. Should be a pretty fast one, especially if there is any sort of breeze from the south!

sideswipe wrote: »
    Ran the route for this yesterday. Should be a pretty fast one, especially if there is any sort of breeze from the south!

Would you have a garmin link or similar sideswipe? Be interested to see how downhill it is!

Beef wrote: »
    Would you have a garmin link or similar sideswipe? Be interested to see how downhill it is!

HERE you go. Not sure if the start/finish is in the right spot!! Felt pretty downhill yesterday even with a stiff enough headwind- as I said if there's a strong tailwind it could have more of an effect than the profile with it being point to point.

That's brilliant thanks for putting that up. Looks good alright and as it's only a few weeks to the race, I might try and get a run on the course myself beforehand too. Cheers!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

yes and i believe the last. .

doesn't sound good. why would they already know it's the last?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

mossym wrote: »
    doesn't sound good. why would they already know it's the last?

There is no problem, The club organising it have been asked to organise it as part of a series.
    Maybe if they make a profit and have a good turn out they may host one of their own next year.
    But it will be a good half marathon, I run the route every week and it is sandwiched between the galtee and knockmaeldown mountains.
    and there is one in clonmel in august which is also a good half marathon.

Have decided to give this a go and signed up, Hopefully they will get good numbers.

Just over a week to go, Hopefully this race will be a success.
    Anybody else signed up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

boydkev wrote: »
    Just over a week to go, Hopefully this race will be a success.
    Anybody else signed up?

i have, really looking forward to it. It is a nice route, hopefully a good turn out.
    It starts in limerick and as you pass into Tipp you will see the lovely sign - Welcome to Tipp, the home of hurling. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Flat rather than down. (Apart from final km) Great value for money. Enjoyed the after race berries and BBQ. Pacer for 1.40 was great.

Great race yesterday, Very well organised and run event. I found the course tough mainly due to heat in the first 6 miles and the long straights were hard. But managed to get a PB so overall happy. Better pace planning is required. It was great to get a quick rub down after and then have a shower and savage BBQ'd Burger all for the €35 entry fee.
    Hopefully they will make this a annual event.
    Also the T-Shirt is one of the nicest i have gotten in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

great day yesterday. the organisers did not spare the cash - great facilities.
    the running top was very nice - lot of people did not spot the spelling mistake.

Thought it was well organised yesterday too. For a first time event it was well pulled off. Nice to do a point to point and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who struggled in the heat!
    Disappointed to see so many runners toss gel wrappers and bottles over and into the ditches at the side of the road- especially after a big 'thank you' was announced at the start for the volunteers who picked up rubbish from the road before the race.
    The finish line was a bit tight and dangerous I thought- dodging traffic and hopping up and down onto the path whilst avoiding tourists and pedestrians going into the Castle was tricky. I suppose closing the road would be to expensive so I know this can't really be avoided.

Overall I would recommend it though and hope they do organise it again- maybe drop the 'Downhill' tag though- it's more of a undulating 12 mile race followed immediately by a downhill 1.1 mile race;)

Advertisement