Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A bike for cycling to work?

• 09-05-2015 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

Apologies for such a basic question but some good advice might save my life and save me a few pennies in the long run.

I am returning to Ireland and plan on cycling to my new job. Can you recommend a good set up for me? It's probably going to be no more than a 10 km round trip on road. I start early so during the winter I will be cycling in the dark. What safety equipment should I get. Basically any tips would be great. I am particularly interested to know what type of tyre I should get? I visited a bike store recently and was surprised to see a varied selection for different surfaces. I am worried that a very thin, slick tyre will result in me crashing in the rain.

Appreciate the help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Bicycle tyres don't aquaplane. The pressure on them is too great because there's such a small contact area. So a slick tyre is the best for the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Free Hat

quozl wrote: »
    Bicycle tyres don't aquaplane. The pressure on them is too great because there's such a small contact area. So a slick tyre is the best for the road.

Its that small contact area that has me worried!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Free Hat wrote: »
    Its that small contact area that has me worried!
    Don't worry about that. MotoGP bikes corner at 300kph on contact patches the size of a credit card, and pro cyclists descend twisty mountain roads at ~100kph on even tinier contact patches.

Lumen wrote: »
    Don't worry about that. MotoGP bikes corner at 300kph on contact patches the size of a credit card.

Ok so It's not a major concern. Cause my inclination would have been to buy a mountain bike with big grippy tyres but people don't do that any more I guess.

Any recommendations on a bike? I guess a helmet and Hi Viz are compulsory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Cause my inclination would have been to buy a mountain bike with big grippy tyres but people don't do that any more I guess

Those have less grip on the road... much less grip.

• Advertisement

quozl wrote: »
    Those have less grip on the road... much less grip.

Ah you learn something new every day.

Ok so It's not a major concern. Cause my inclination would have been to buy a mountain bike with big grippy tyres but people don't do that any more I guess.

Any recommendations on a bike? I guess a helmet and Hi Viz are compulsory.
    Get a hybrid. Past that choices are mainly determined by budget and clothing requirements (e.g. do you want to get mudguards to avoid soaking yourself in the rain).

Helmet is not essential but doesn't do any harm. Hi vis is less important than good lights and is often sweaty. If you cycle like you're invisible (you should) then it doesn't really matter what you wear. Good road position, anticipation and a calm head is what keeps you safe.

Spend money on good clothing, but don't go mental as you'll probably buy stuff that you subsequently consider too baggy or ugly.

Lumen wrote: »
    Get a hybrid. Past that choices are mainly determined by budget and clothing requirements (e.g. do you want to get mudguards to avoid soaking yourself in the rain).

Helmet is not essential but doesn't do any harm. Hi vis is less important than good lights and is often sweaty. If you cycle like you're invisible (you should) then it doesn't really matter what you wear. Good road position, anticipation and a calm head is what keeps you safe.

Spend money on good clothing, but don't go mental as you'll probably buy stuff that you subsequently consider too baggy or ugly.

Thanks mate. I'd like to think I have a good head on the road. Is a helmet and hi viz required by law? I'm guessing they are not, seems like they should be.

Thanks mate. I'd like to think I have a good head on the road. Is a helmet and hi viz required by law? I'm guessing they are not, seems like they should be.
    No they're not, although some Gardai don't know the law.

They offer the same incremental protection as they would when walking, driving, or doing DIY, so if you're going to wear one when cycling you should do in those situations too. Funnily enough the Australians (who have compulsory bike helmets) recommend this, so they're being very consistent. There's a separate thread dedicated to that endless debate. :)

Given my previous history, a cycling helmet might be useful when I head out to the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Given my previous history, a cycling helmet might be useful when I head out to the pub.

Helmet or not, going to the pub and cycling is not exactly a good combination.

Re your original question....10km round trip is a trip one could make on any type of bike.

What is your cycling experience? Do you like to cycle fast or is just getting there the most important thing? Is comfort your thing or you prefer a sporty type bike? All these questions are relevant in determining ideal type of bike. Otherwise your request is the same as how long is a piece of string...and we all know it can be any length you want it to be :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd go for a hybrid, and since you're commuting you'll possibly be in busy rush hour traffic in which has hi-viz & a helmet won't do any harm.

I don't bother with hi-viz myself but I've come off a few times and was thankful I'd a helmet ~ if not just to save me the lecture from people lol.. Seriously last fall I had I hit a wall hard enough to break my helmet, I'd dread to think what would have happened without it.

But its an endless debate, its not compulsory here anyway so its a personal choice.

Mudguards will save you a winter of misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Get puncture resistant tyres, commuting is no fun getting a puncture almost every week.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Helmet or not, going to the pub and cycling is not exactly a good combination.

Re your original question....10km round trip is a trip one could make on any type of bike.

What is your cycling experience? Do you like to cycle fast or is just getting there the most important thing? Is comfort your thing or you prefer a sporty type bike? All these questions are relevant in determining ideal type of bike. Otherwise your request is the same as how long is a piece of string...and we all know it can be any length you want it to be :-)

I think comfort is probably higher on the agenda than speed. My cycling experience is extensive up until I was able to drive and not so frequent after that. I can cycle well though I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I would recommend these. Small money.
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sks-long-mudflap-prod25599/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

If you are going to commute year round you might consider something like this
    http://www.rosebikes.com/article/xtreme-triple-chain-case/aid:161645

Advertisement