Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with fresh pasta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Moved from Cooking Club to main Cooking & Recipes forum, OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

I follow Jamie Oliver's recipe, I think it's 600 grams tipo or strong flour and 6 eggs. I use large eggs.

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/a-basic-recipe-for-fresh-egg-pasta/#uPeRIPRvGw0OZes4.97

Another thing I do when making the pasta is make smaller batches as opposed to one massive roll like in your pic.

Make sure you need the dough for a good while. Use a mixer with a dough hook if you have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

100g flour, one egg, a little olive oil, knead well, wrap in cling film and rest at room temperature 30 minutes. If it goes a bit wrong when I start rolling it just keep putting it through, folding it in half each time, and it usually comes good. Dust with flour while rolling if it starts getting a little sticky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

Ya i used my food processor to mix it but no rolling pin, i was using a pasta machine on it's biggest setting. The picture was after being passed through the machine. It's like it's too dry or something, the consistency seems fine but the edges always come out jagged like in the picture.

How long did you knead it? If it seems dry I'd say to add a teeny bit more olive oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

Only for about a minute, all the videos I've watched hardly knead at all when they use a pasta machine.. i never added olive though, it seems to only be in some recipes and not in others..

I'd knead it a bit longer. I add olive oil if I think it's a bit dry, you really only need a couple of drops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

How many times did you pass it through the machine? Pass it through, fold it into thirds and pass it again, then repeat. The rollers will work to develop the gluten in the flour and make dough more elastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

If you're not kneading for at least five mins then you'll need to pass it through the roller up to 10-15 times to get Glen h working like Minder said. I knead mine and then let it rest for half hour. Always turns out fine. I don't use olive oil, do use large eggs but would also advise to get the 'feel' of it. I use the same recipe but almost always have for left over because the egg doesn't use it. Hope it works out for you. It's sooo worth it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

That should have said 'flour left over'...bloody predictive text...

• Advertisement
Advertisement