Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEPA Direct Debit from non-Irish bank

Options
  • 09-05-2015 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi

Can I pay my bills using a non-Irish bank account (that is within the European Union)?

If not, from what date will you be accepting IBAN / BIC codes from any EU country? I would like to use my ”home” country bank to pay my bills.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

ceroc81 wrote:
    Can I pay my bills using a non-Irish bank account (that is within the European Union)?

ceroc81 wrote:
    If not, from what date will you be accepting IBAN / BIC codes from any EU country? I would like to use my â€home†country bank to pay my bills.

What you want to do is the main advantage of SEPA DD for customers....if you are not able to do that then your creditor is not SEPA compliant !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think you may have to fill in a physical mandate and sign it.

SEPA works but electronic mandates don't work cross border oddly enough!

The local signup process DD+ is what allows electronic and over the phone mandates to be setup.

For non Irish banks, you can download the form, physically fill it in and post it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ceroc81

tharmor wrote: »
    Originally posted by ceroc81

If not, from what date will you be accepting IBAN / BIC codes from any EU country? I would like to use my â€home†country bank to pay my bills.

What you want to do is the main advantage of SEPA DD for customers....if you are not able to do that then your creditor is not SEPA compliant !!
    Yeah thats the goal of SEPA, but when I actually tried changing my details for gas, electricity, water and broadband none of them offers a way to specify a BIC code that is not Irish, so it seems there is still some work to be done in this area.

So I hope the poster below yours is right that there is a paper-solution that allows me to at least get my electricity billed through my other bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

ceroc81 wrote: »
    tharmor wrote: »

Yeah thats the goal of SEPA, but when I actually tried changing my details for gas, electricity, water and broadband none of them offers a way to specify a BIC code that is not Irish, so it seems there is still some work to be done in this area.

So I hope the poster below yours is right that there is a paper-solution that allows me to at least get my electricity billed through my other bank.
    yeah you can do it, its the main reason for bringing in SEPA. but you have to sign a mandate, SpaceTime is correct, electronic sign ups without the need for a signature is only for Irish companies that the bank deem are "Originator Plus" which means they are a reputable company vetted by the bank and they will take instruction for a DD request from these companies without customer input (i.e. a signature) but for a non national bank, they need your signature.

fill this in and post it back to them
    https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/downloads/DD-Mandate-Sepa-en.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi ceroc81,

We do accept any bank that is SEPA compliant. Ukoda and SpaceTime are correct to say that for any non Irish bank, we would require a physical mandate to be filled out and signed. In the meantime, should you wish to make any other payment, here is a list of the methods of payment we can accept.

Do let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Regards,
    Aoife

• Advertisement
Advertisement