Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a wheel

• 09-05-2015 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

Hi all, does anybody want to recommend a wheel? :) The paddle shifters on my last wheel aren't working anymore and tbh the wheel was crap anyway. I'd like one with an actual gear stick, as well as paddles if possible? Need the pedals too. Budget would be about 150 max.

Oh also is getting one with force feedback definitely recommended?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Hi all, does anybody want to recommend a wheel? :) The paddle shifters on my last wheel aren't working anymore and tbh the wheel was crap anyway. I'd like one with an actual gear stick, as well as paddles if possible? Need the pedals too. Budget would be about 150 max.

Oh also is getting one with force feedback definitely recommended?

I just bought a logitech g27 second hand on adverts for 150, one of the best out there for pc I think. It's 200 euro on amazon Spain brand new.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its also €200 in pc world bricks and mortars here, well it was 2 month back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭.G.

Still can't decide on what wheel to get. Wanted the T300RS cos I could use it on the PS4 and PC but those pedals look real crappy and cheap compared to the G27 pedals and the G27 can be had for a lot less money. Seems a shame to buy something that won't work on both PC and PS4 though even though most of my driving games are PC based.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

G27 owner here but if i were you id go with the T300RS IF you wish to use it on both systems as pedals could be upgraded at a later date, i havent used them but how poor are they?

Otherwise go with G27 and stick to your PC if its good enough to run all the glorious racing sims/games on PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Thanks for all your advice guys, I've decided to continue saving up to get a g27 :) the gamepad will have to do for now!

Dcully wrote: »
    G27 owner here but if i were you id go with the T300RS IF you wish to use it on both systems as pedals could be upgraded at a later date, i havent used them but how poor are they?

Otherwise go with G27 and stick to your PC if its good enough to run all the glorious racing sims/games on PC.

Yeah had a G27 a few years back so I know how good that is. From reading user reviews the pedals get a lot of bad press, for something so expensive it's disappointing. Should have a clutch too. I know you can buy better pedals but they should come with it for that price. My PC can handle anything on Ultra but it would be handy to have a wheel that works on PS4 too cos I love Driveclub as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

To save starting a new thread can anyone recommend a stand for my wheel? Something compact, sturdy inexpensive, etc etc

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    To save starting a new thread can anyone recommend a stand for my wheel? Something compact, sturdy inexpensive, etc etc
    Are you just looking for a wheel and pedal stand or something that incorporates a seat?

I think the ones that just hold a wheel and pedal can be a bit iffy. They don't have enough weight or floor space to support the wheel without flexing. Flexing can be a problem in general with budget stands.

If you're any good at DIY you could probably make a better stand yourself. There are loads of plans and DIY rigs out there. For ideas you could look at the sim hardware forum on racedepartment.

I don't have much experience with stands though. The problem is a lot of them seem to come from America making them more expensive than they're worth.

The playseat seems like it would be suitable for your needs. http://www.playseatstore.com/challenge.html

OK originally I was thinking just stand for the wheel and pedals, something like wheel stand pro or similar but that playseat challenge does look perfect for my needs, compact, good quality, only problem.... 200 yoyos, pricey, more than I intended to spend, then again it might be a good investment.

The DIY project is not possible due to lack of resources/interest/space.

Anyone have one?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

I do. I can highly recommend it. Its comfy when I'm in it, it's sturdy, you can stick the wheels and pedals on it permanently and the whole thing folds away and takes up very little storage space. If you buy it in a bundle with a wheel you get a discount off both.

Cheers man, just went and ordered it. Doesn't dispatch for a week so I've 7 days to come to my senses and cancel!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I just pulled the trigger on a T500 and a Basherboards adapter for my CSP's, I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas here!
    It's going to be interesting comparing it to my trusty Turbo-S.
    I'm told they're a complete animal.

I just pulled the trigger on a T500 and a Basherboards adapter for my CSP's, I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas here!
    It's going to be interesting comparing it to my trusty Turbo-S.
    I'm told they're a complete animal.

Any reason that you didn't go for the t300?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Any reason that you didn't go for the t300?
    Raw power and durability, the T500 is up to mk5 at this stage.
    I've always like them, and a comparable Fanatec wheel is about twice the price used, and four times the price new.
    I know the T300 is PS4 official and uses brushless motors but they still seem to be having reliability issues.

Playseat challenge arrived today, just put it together, very happy with it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Playseat challenge arrived today, just put it together, very happy with it.

I've been looking at these, they look fantastic, what's it like man? Is it sturdy?

I've been looking at these, they look fantastic, what's it like man? Is it sturdy?

I was originally looking at the wheel stand pro, but with no seat in my room I figured this would cover both. Also I've limited space in my room so I wanted something that I could put away when I wasn't using it so the playseat challenge was perfect for my needs.

It's very easy to setup once it arrived, maybe 10 minutes. It took me a while to figure out the most comfortable position, thankfully everything is adjustable from the seat slope, the wheel stand and the pedal rest.

It's basically like a garden deck chair combined with a wheel stand. I haven't come across any negatives so far. Maybe if you're very big it might be uncomfortable. Will be interesting to see how it holds up over time.

It's very sturdy, surprisingly so! Comfortable, overall it's a very good design. Best of all once I've finished using it I can fold it up in 30 seconds and store it away.

There's a good review from inside racing on YouTube, basically spot on imo. 200 yoyos all in including delivery, money well spent imo.

I can put up some pictures is anybody wants

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'll gladly look at some pics if you're sharing man.
    My wheel arrived yesterday, the Basherboard didn't. The pain, the pain!

I'll gladly look at some pics if you're sharing man.
    My wheel arrived yesterday, the Basherboard didn't. The pain, the pain!

Will do, as soon as I figure out how to upload images onto this site!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Will do, as soon as I figure out how to upload images onto this site!
    You can't really upload to this site as you've no storage space. You'd need to upload to the likes of flickr or photobucket and link to them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

I was originally looking at the wheel stand pro, but with no seat in my room I figured this would cover both. Also I've limited space in my room so I wanted something that I could put away when I wasn't using it so the playseat challenge was perfect for my needs.

It's very easy to setup once it arrived, maybe 10 minutes. It took me a while to figure out the most comfortable position, thankfully everything is adjustable from the seat slope, the wheel stand and the pedal rest.

It's basically like a garden deck chair combined with a wheel stand. I haven't come across any negatives so far. Maybe if you're very big it might be uncomfortable. Will be interesting to see how it holds up over time.

It's very sturdy, surprisingly so! Comfortable, overall it's a very good design. Best of all once I've finished using it I can fold it up in 30 seconds and store it away.

There's a good review from inside racing on YouTube, basically spot on imo. 200 yoyos all in including delivery, money well spent imo.

I can put up some pictures is anybody wants

I bought the Challenge seat and a G29 Wheel at Christmas and have been using it almost daily since. The seat is a brilliant solution if space is a concern. The seat itself is very robust and has a nice heavy soft suede feel to it. Would highly recommend the product as well.

Wheel is all kinds of awesome and have been using it on Grand Prix Legends a lot recently. Hard to see myself ever playing another driving game at the moment to be honest!

My friend bought the Playseat Evolution(E299) a few weeks back and its a great chair as well and not as big as I thought(And has some folding capabilities)...Worth looking at it also

Hope this is of some help
    D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Domo1982 wrote: »
    I bought the Challenge seat and a G29 Wheel at Christmas and have been using it almost daily since. The seat is a brilliant solution if space is a concern. The seat itself is very robust and has a nice heavy soft suede feel to it. Would highly recommend the product as well.

Wheel is all kinds of awesome and have been using it on Grand Prix Legends a lot recently. Hard to see myself ever playing another driving game at the moment to be honest!

My friend bought the Playseat Evolution(E299) a few weeks back and its a great chair as well and not as big as I thought(And has some folding capabilities)...Worth looking at it also

Hope this is of some help
    D

Did you get the separate shifter stick for the G29? If so, does that fit on the playseat? Or does the shifter need to be built into the wheel unit like the G27?

I've only just started looking into wheels and mounting solutions etc. I've been a very casual racing player to date, but I've got an Oculus Rift scheduled for delivery in July so I'm definitely all up for getting a wheel set up. There's something wrong with using a gamepad in Project Cars on a regular monitor, but in VR it would be a crime.

Advertisement