Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk to me about rabbits

• 09-05-2015 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi all,

Were thinking of getting a rabbit for our daughters. A lop earred or miniature lop. We have a good garden and I'm at home so it can be out a lot. Can anyone direct me toward a list of breeders? I have read its better to go to a breeder than a pet shop? Any issues with rabbits I should consider?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Rabbits are social animals, and do best in pairs, preferably male / female.

They will need to be neutered, especially females, this is expensive!

Rabbits live longer if kept indoors, they scare easily and being in a hutch outdoors can shorten their lifespan a lot.

They can live well over eight years, so they're a bit of a commitment.

Some rabbits like being petted or picked up, some rabbits hate it (mine do) and will bite and scratch. (rabbits have a strong bite :( )

They need shots every year for myxomatosis / VHD.

They eat a LOT of green veg (not lettuce, and not carrots)

They eat a LOT of hay.

They can be litter trained, but they're a lot slower to pick it up. Some never pick it up.

They also produce a phenomenal amount of poop, but it doesn't smell and its dry so its not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Hi Lara,

I have two rabbits. They are fantastic pets I love them. Rabbits are prey animals and will not make a sound and for that reason are often forgotten about and over looked. Unlike a dog or cat that will make their wishes known. People often think they are simple animals that don't need much care but they are very nice fun animals and each comes with its own personality.

Rabbits are the size of cats and exercise about as much. So be prepared to give them considerable time to exercise. Kids loose interest fast so ask yourself will you be prepared to let it out everyday during winter in the cold? For 5+ years?

Rabbits are very social animals and unless you are going to be spending several hours with it everyday can I suggest that you get two? They can keep each other company.

Finally consider the idea of an indoor bunny. They are very easy to toilet train and will jump into their hutch when they need to go. They won't go crazy like those often neglected bunnies living in the garden in their little box. My two follow me about the house and are part of the family. You can read more here http://myhouserabbit.com/new-to-rabbits/thinking-about-getting-a-pet-rabbit/

Any questions just ask.

Oh and the more you love something, or the more expensive something is, the more likely it is that your rabbit will eat it. Unless you bought it for the rabbit, then it will ignore it in favour of the box it came in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Thanks a lot for your advice everyone. We are quite clueless, but wouldn't want to take any pet in without knowing all the pros and cons. I am a child minder and would love a tame pet that all the kids can enjoy. I'll have a look at the info regarding keeping them indoors also. Thanks again :)

2013Lara wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for your advice everyone. We are quite clueless, but wouldn't want to take any pet in without knowing all the pros and cons. I am a child minder and would love a tame pet that all the kids can enjoy. I'll have a look at the info regarding keeping them indoors also. Thanks again :)

There are a lot of rabbits in various shelters so it might be worth looking there for a suitable bun as well.

If its a pet for children, would you consider mice or hamsters? They are cute and furry but pretty smart too, and fascinating to watch. They also only live 2 years or so, so are less likely to outlive a child's interest?

They take up a lot less space too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

I wouldn't cope well with mice or hamsters lol, the care would all be left to the other half which is not what he wants. We do want a family pet. There are a lot of cats around, would they be a prob? (Not a cat lover)

Advertisement