Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premium for end-of-terrace property.

Options
  • 09-05-2015 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

How much extra for end of terrace over mid terrace is reasonable?

I'm looking at a new development, the difference in size is only 70 sq ft and the garden size is basically the same but with side access. There is only one extra window (in a bathroom) so there wouldnt be a huge difference in light either. I would obviously prefer the end house but they are looking for nearly 15% (40k) more which seems a bit much. Or is this normal enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

my friend bought house new ,in 2004,
    end terrace,
    garden twice the size of any other house,
    paid the same as everyone else as far as i know, 80k.

I dont think theres any legal ruling on this,
    front garden was bigger too.
    enough room to build a house on, beside her house,

ITS up to you to decide is it worth 40k ,
    she was not looking for an end house ,
    i think the builder was just nice.
    she just wanted to buy a new house .

You could just buy an older end terrace house,in the area ,
    it would probably be cheaper .

i never knew end terrace house,s were cheaper,
    a middle house might be warmer ,and more secure than a corner house .
    as corner house gets more wind ,rain on 1 side.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

riclad wrote: »
    my friend bought house new ,in 2004,
    end terrace,
    garden twice the size of any other house,
    paid the same as everyone else as far as i know, 80k.

I dont think theres any legal ruling on this,
    front garden was bigger too.
    enough room to build a house on, beside her house,

ITS up to you to decide is it worth 40k ,
    she was not looking for an end house ,
    i think the builder was just nice.
    she just wanted to buy a new house .

You could just buy an older end terrace house,in the area ,
    it would probably be cheaper .

i never knew end terrace house,s were cheaper,
    a middle house might be warmer ,and more secure than a corner house .
    as corner house gets more wind ,rain on 1 side.

End of terrace are usually dearer as they are more like a semi d and you only have to put up with sounds coming from one neighbour and you have rear access without taking bikes etc through the house. You also may have the option to extend

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

ted1 wrote: »
    End of terrace are usually dearer as they are more like a semi d and you only have to put up with sounds coming from one neighbour and you have rear access without taking bikes etc through the house. You also may have the option to extend

No option to extend here, very little room at the side

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

farrerg wrote: »
    How much extra for end of terrace over mid terrace is reasonable?

I'm looking at a new development, the difference in size is only 70 sq ft and the garden size is basically the same but with side access. There is only one extra window (in a bathroom) so there wouldnt be a huge difference in light either. I would obviously prefer the end house but they are looking for nearly 15% (40k) more which seems a bit much. Or is this normal enough?

Well, the benefits are that you only have neighbours on one side. You have side access so you don't have to bring bins etc. through the house. Also, if you're thinking of extending out the back or whatnot then building work doesn't have to all go through your front door.

If I had the choice between 2 houses, an end terrace and the terraced beside it, I would pay a premium for the end terrace every time. Usually the premium works out at around 10-20%

bohsfan wrote: »
    Well, the benefits are that you only have neighbours on one side. You have side access so you don't have to bring bins etc. through the house. Also, if you're thinking of extending out the back or whatnot then building work doesn't have to all go through your front door.

If I had the choice between 2 houses, an end terrace and the terraced beside it, I would pay a premium for the end terrace every time. Usually the premium works out at around 10-20%

Thanks, hadn't thought about the building work part

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

We were the same, no option to extend to the side but didn't want to be dragging bins, bikes etc through the house. Paid €5k extra in 2007. Glad we did as made getting rear garden landscaped easier and noise from one neighbour is bad enough without listening to it from both sides. If you can afford it it's worth it imo but €40k seems a bit excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Do both houses have driveways? If so you might be able to get 2 cars side by side in the end of terrace. Access is a big plus with end of terrace. If you want to get the attic done it would be easier with a end of terrace from an access point of view but from a space point of view depending on the roof profile the mid terrace might have a better shape so that may be something to consider.

Would you consider a mid terrace next door to an end of terrace as if you did need any work done you neighbour might let you use their side entrance and let you put materials over your fence?

are they two bed houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Personally I would not fancy being on the corner.....mainly to do with traffic really. If its a quiet estate, if you are on the middle of the street you could play with the kids on the road, football scooting or whatever, and you can see traffi coming. Cant do that on the corner. Also street parking is trickier at the corner.

Having said that, if you want to extend, then that is your spot.

Millem wrote: »
    If you want to get the attic done it would be easier with a end of terrace from an access point of view but from a space point of view depending on the roof profile the mid terrace might have a better shape so that may be something to consider.

Would you consider a mid terrace next door to an end of terrace as if you did need any work done you neighbour might let you use their side entrance and let you put materials over your fence?

are they two bed houses?

They're 3 bed, had been thinking of getting attic converted so this is a great point, if the mid is easier to convert its definitely going to be a big plus for us. I must also check the assigned parking and see if there if they both have 2 spots or if the mid just has one.

If you were going to extend into the back garden in the future, ground floor only, is there any issues / restrictions for a mid that would need to be considered, aside from access?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

They're 3 bed, had been thinking of getting attic converted so this is a great point, if the mid is easier to convert its definitely going to be a big plus for us. I must also check the assigned parking and see if there if they both have 2 spots or if the mid just has one.

If you were going to extend into the back garden in the future, ground floor only, is there any issues / restrictions for a mid that would need to be considered, aside from access?

In relation to backgarden....you can extend out without planning permission if you don't build on any boundaries and it's less than 40m2 but you need to have a certain amount left in your garden so maybe you would only extend 25m2 max.
    An end of terrace house will be slightly wider so the extension would be a bit better in size/shape.
    i found builders charge a higher price per sq m in a mid because of acess issues in a mid terrace.
    In relation to attic conversion which I am guess you will need to reinforce the roof...it will be a big job getting steel in so they may get it in through the roof. We got a quote for approx €20k on a mid terrace attic conversion.

Are the gardens divided by fences that "slot" in between concrete? If so in the house we are sale agreed on the fences Can be pushed up! So if you go for a mid terrace beside an end your neighbour might let you get stuff in that way!!!

Also some furniture can be a pain to get in so a side entrance is handy!!

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    In relation to backgarden....you can extend out without planning permission if you don't build on any boundaries and it's less than 40m2 but you need to have a certain amount left in your garden so maybe you would only extend 25m2 max.
    An end of terrace house will be slightly wider so the extension would be a bit better in size/shape.
    i found builders charge a higher price per sq m in a mid because of acess issues in a mid terrace.
    In relation to attic conversion which I am guess you will need to reinforce the roof...it will be a big job getting steel in so they may get it in through the roof. We got a quote for approx €20k on a mid terrace attic conversion.

Are the gardens divided by fences that "slot" in between concrete? If so in the house we are sale agreed on the fences Can be pushed up! So if you go for a mid terrace beside an end your neighbour might let you get stuff in that way!!!

Also some furniture can be a pain to get in so a side entrance is handy!!

So you can't build right against the neighbours garden wall essentially? You would need to step it in a bit?

Then the end of terrace looks like a much better option for attic or extension work.
    The end we are looking at is at the end of a cul de sac in the estate so should be ok for traffic / kids playing on green opposite.
    It's just a case of deciding if its worth that much more! I have a feeling the builder won't entertain any lower offers ....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So you can't build right against the neighbours garden wall essentially? You would need to step it in a bit?

Then the end of terrace looks like a much better option for attic or extension work.
    The end we are looking at is at the end of a cul de sac in the estate so should be ok for traffic / kids playing on green opposite.
    It's just a case of deciding if its worth that much more! I have a feeling the builder won't entertain any lower offers ....

You need the neighbors permission to replace the boundary with a better was for construction. You cannot build up tight to the existing boundary as you have to allow for facia, soffits and guttering which would all be over sailing the building line unless you stepped back into your own garden.

The attic depends on the roof construction and if both house are the same. The mid could have full height and the end of terrace may be hipped. We would need to see a picture to confirm this.

Either way you have to structurally reinforce the attic floor and you have certain fire safety measures to take account of but that's a different story.

End of terrace is the better option all day long if you can do it financially, you will thank yourself in 10 years time.

IF you want to build an extension without planning permission,
    you have to leave a few feet ,empty space between you and your neighbours boundary wall .
    I,VE Seen houses for sale with very large gardens ,
    in dublin,
    where the price was just the same as the house down the road,
    but these were not new house,s ,
    eg houses 3o years plus old .terraced house s .
    eg not being sold by a builder .
    it depends on your neighbour, s,
    i never hear a sound, but my neighbours, are , 50- 60 years old .
    And the walls are well insulated .
    my friend lives in semi d,
    i lived there 3 years ,never heard any significent noise from the neighbours ,
    whatsover .
    no music, talking ,nothing.

SOME new house builds had low levels of sound insulation .

riclad wrote: »
    IF you want to build an extension without planning permission,
    you have to leave a few feet ,empty space between you and your neighbours boundary wall .

Planning and boundary wall treatment are unrelated. Planning is a requirement if it's over 40 square meters or you want to leave less than 25 Sq. m of a rear garden.

The boundary wall treatment is a civil matter between you and your neighbour and the council cannot dictate how it's treated. Once you and your neighbour agree on a detail, you can fire away.

Here,s a link,

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/planning_permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house.html

Generally, you will not need planning permission for:

Building an extension to the rear of the house which does not increase the original floor area of the house by more than 40 square metres and is not higher than the house. The extension should not reduce the open space at the back of the house to less than 25 square metres which must be reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of your house. If your house has been extended before, the floor area of the extension you are now proposing and the floor area of any previous extension (including those for which you previously got planning permission) must not exceed 40 square metres. (There are also other height restrictions.)

Thanks, this gives me some things to consider. Need to compare what else we can get in the area for the extra 40k, maybe worse BER etc but larger garden for extending etc. down the road.

Any idea if there are restrictions on the number / size of velux windows you can install facing the back of the house without planning?

Any idea if there are restrictions on the number / size of velux windows you can install facing the back of the house without planning?

Generally no. A Planning Enforcement Officier will not issue any proceeding for velux to the rear. Obviously you need to take account of the structure of the roof and you cant fill it completely :)

Also, dont forget the 40 Sq. M rule is ground floor only, it reduces to 28 Sq. M if you want to go upstairs and then there is restrictions on what you can do at first floor level without planning, particularily with regards to distance to the boundary.

Advertisement