Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing PC to college???

• 09-05-2015 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

hey i know now its the norm to have a laptop wit you at college but i have pc which was really expensive for me .. roughly 2grand

Is it safe to bring to college and to keep it at what ever accommodation im in or should i go and buy a laptop
    i plan on doing engineering or architecture

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

In my experience there is a mixture between taking notes by hand and typing notes on a laptop/tablet at lectures. More people writing than typing in my experience so I don't think you would be at any disadvantage not getting a laptop. I leave my laptop at home , write notes in lectures and then type them into the slides at home if I need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm bringing my PC with me. Awkward or not, after putting money into it I'm not shelling out again for a laptop, think you're in the same boat. I've heard from people that you won't have an issue over having the PC for usage. Less likelihood of it being stolen if you ask me.

If you can't type very well, then the only real disadvantage is not being able to bring it to a library

Can't see many thieves wanting to lug around a 10kg PC, or open it up and steal your graphics card :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

hey i know now its the norm to have a laptop wit you at college but i have pc which was really expensive for me .. roughly 2grand

Is it safe to bring to college and to keep it at what ever accommodation im in or should i go and buy a laptop
    i plan on doing engineering or architecture

That will depend entirely on the type of accommodation you choose to move into. In most houses, whether it is campus accommodation or private housing, you will get a key for your bedroom door. Lock it when you go out.

But again like others have said, much easier to steal a laptop than a PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

In some of the college accommodations the doors lock automatically after you close them.
    Most college accommodations I have been in have swipe cards to get into the apartment , room and building..
    College accommodations should definitely be safe. Houses are slightly different but if you lock your room behind you it should be okay.

Advertisement