Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Prison Forum really necessary?

• 09-05-2015 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

From what I see on that Prison Forum, there arent too many regular posters who were given a 2nd chance instead being consigned to the boards graveyard. Reminds me a little of Morgan Freemans numerous failed parole attempts in The Shawshank Redemption when he spoke eloquently on each occasion only to be turned down. Maybe banned users should adopt the "I dont give a fcuk" philosophy Freeman used successfully in the end as a means of persuasion which begs the question. Is it possible to crawl through a river of shiit on boards and come out clean the other side?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Miall108 wrote: »
    From what I see on that Prison Forum, there arent too many regular posters who were given a 2nd chance instead being consigned to the boards graveyard. Reminds me a little of Morgan Freemans numerous failed parole attempts in The Shawshank Redemption when he spoke eloquently on each occasion only to be turned down. Maybe banned users should adopt the "I dont give a fcuk" philosophy Freeman used in the end as a means of persuasion

I got out :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

From what I see on that Prison Forum, there arent too many regular posters who were given a 2nd chance instead being consigned to the boards graveyard.

And the important words there are "from what I see". There's an awful lot that goes on in the background that most posters will be completely oblivious to. Many of the sitebans issued are not permanent, and many of those who appeal in Prison have their bans lifted. Unlike what I've heard about some other sites, the Prison forum provides a transparent means for a banned poster to appeal their ban as opposed to being dumped off the site for good with no right to appeal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

What is the longest prison sentence that can be handed out?

A person can be permanently banned from Boards, and if they're being a complete dick in Prison they can also find themselves banned from the Prison forum. That doesn't happen all that often.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Flood wrote: »
    What is the longest prison sentence that can be handed out?

Permanent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

Zaph wrote: »
    A person can be permanently banned from Boards, and if they're being a complete dick in Prison they can also find themselves banned from the Prison forum. That doesn't happen all that often.

Didnt even think that was possible considering some of the more abusive posters in the forum

Didnt even think that was possible considering some of the more abusive posters in the forum

We're very tolerant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

As an ex prisoner i can state with certainty that the system is just and fair. Don't be a dick and you won't end up in prison.

on a lighter note prison is a funny forum to follow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

on a lighter note prison is a funny forum to follow :D

Haha Agreed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Instead of it being permanent should it be for life as in real criminal cases which is 30 years max i think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Prison forum can be fairly entertaining, especially when the perp starts off all nicely and cap in hand, then within two or three posts ends up spewing at the mods and admins like Linda Blair in the Exorcist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Of course it's necessary! How dare you insinuate it isn't!

Where else do I get to witness the greatness that is Gordon, the brilliance that is BuffyBot, the zestyness that is Zaph and the Deity that is Dav.

I love the Prison forum and in actual fact, if there's anything we should be campaigning for, it's a THANKS button.
    So there.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

It's a waste of time really, tbh. Good for amusement but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Just make a new account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Can you smell his sweat? That peculiar goatish odor is trans-3-methyl-2 hexenoic acid. Remember it, it's the smell of schizophrenia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Without the prison forum I'd have no light reading in the early hours.
    And Gordon's replies are worth the sleepless nights.:)

Without the prison forum I'd have no light reading in the early hours.
    And Gordon's replies are worth the sleepless nights.:)

Indeed. I too wanna go to Jee-sa!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Can a person not just register under a new username ??

I'll still find you, Jack. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

fussyonion wrote: »
    [...]
    if there's anything we should be campaigning for, it's a THANKS button.
    So there.

It should have thumbs up / thumbs down buttons so that the baying public can determine the fate of the individual Roman Colosseum style. :pac:

• Advertisement

Of course they can. But if they're doing it to evade a ban that account will also be banned. And if the original account's ban was for a fixed period it will have that ban increased to permanent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

They can, but it's usually quite easy to spot re-regs so they don't last long.

Oh those are.the best threads :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Well yeah. But they need to do a few things to get under the radar. I won't say because zaph is here and because if you have to ask, you deserve to never come back.

If they do get under the radar they learnt their lesson. I know people who have been banned but are posting regualry. It's nothing new or crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

What's in store for them then? Solitary confinement? The chair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

In terms of providing entertainment, yes the prison forum is really necessary.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What's in store for them then? Solitary confinement? The chair?

The Chokey!

ms-trunchbull.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

And the important words there are "from what I see". There's an awful lot that goes on in the background that most posters will be completely oblivious to. Many of the sitebans issued are not permanent, and many of those who appeal in Prison have their bans lifted. Unlike what I've heard about some other sites, the Prison forum provides a transparent means for a banned poster to appeal their ban as opposed to being dumped off the site for good with no right to appeal.

Hmmmm.

If there is a lot going on in the background that the ordinary poster can't see and is oblivious to, the how transparent is it, actually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The chair?

If only. With Gordon flicking the switch and it being streamed live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

fussyonion wrote: »
    I love the Prison forum and in actual fact, if there's anything we should be campaigning for, it's a THANKS button.
    So there.

Ooooooooh gawd no! Can you imagine the tirade of abuse hurled at those thanking the Jailers posts:D the internet would break under the strain.....

of our laughter:D

osarusan wrote: »
    Hmmmm.

If there is a lot going on in the background that the ordinary poster can't see and is oblivious to, the how transparent is it, actually?

To be fair. Gowls be gowling.
    I know an admin and a few mods, people who get banned are being gowls. Nothing new. There is no conspiracy for gowls.

syklops wrote: »
    If only. With Gordon flicking the switch and it being streamed live.
    I've been in this room for eight years now, Clarice. I know they will never, ever let me out while I'm alive. What I want is a view. I want a window where I can see a tree, or even water. I want to be in a federal institution, far away from Gordon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

To be fair. Gowls be gowling.
    I know an admin and a few mods, people who get banned are being gowls. Nothing new. There is no conspiracy for gowls.

No doubt. I look in on that forum pretty regularly.

I just think there is a kind of a contradiction there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

They can, but it's usually quite easy to spot re-regs so they don't last long.

In after hours there are two general guidelines to follow When trying to figure out re-reg accounts.

1. Every poster with a low post count is a re-reg.
    2. Every poster with a high post count is a well disguised re-reg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I always get a "revenge of the nerds" vibe from the Prison forum, to be honest.

• Advertisement

In after hours there are two general guidelines to follow When trying to figure out re-reg accounts.

No i'm not

shut up you

JUST SHUT UP OK!!!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I always get a "revenge of the nerds" vibe from the Prison forum, to be honest.

Free the degsy 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Phil Mitchell

I thought the Prison Forum was for people who had family members in Prison :pac:

osarusan wrote: »
    Hmmmm.

The OP stated that to him there didn't appear to be many people who got a second chance. My comment about a lot going on in the background that most people wouldn't see is in relation to what landed the person in Prison in the first place. The OP doesn't have access to other posters' records, for example, so he has no way of knowing how many times a sitebanned poster had been warned, infracted or banned from forums before being sitebanned. The transparency I referred to is that the appeals process in Prison is fair and visible to all, and that we have to be able to publicly stand over any sitebans we issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

I thought the Prison Forum was for people who had family members in Prison :pac:

x2, I assumed it was for people who had been to prison and whatnot!

The transparency is the mods have assess to how many times you were banned and why , plus how how many shared ip addresses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

That is actually a good idea though. For support ...might be a bit dangerous though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The transparency is the mods have assess to how many times you were banned and why , plus how how many shared ip addresses

How does that all work if people are on mobile devices and using different wifi hotspots?

Not that I need to know, mind you. I'm asking purely for scientific research purposes. :D

ProudDUB wrote: »
    How does that all work if people are on mobile devices and using different wifi hotspots?

Not that I need to know, mind you. I'm asking purely for scientific research reasons. :D

I'm not about to give away all our trade secrets now, am I? :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

ProudDUB wrote: »

Not that I need to know, mind you. I'm asking purely for scientific research reasons. :D

It just does :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Aaaaaaaaaaaah g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan, g'wan.....

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

They check the type of browser you typically use and things like that. People are creatures of habit. Wanna go undetected? Change everything.

Everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Had a look there just now, I see Degsy is trying to get parole. He was a good laugh, hope the overlords let him rejoin the party.

I'm not about to give away all our trade secrets now, am I? :p

When you post on moble it give you 1 specific ip Address.

It's incredibly easy to get re reg gowls, who are the problem. Not the guys who have 11 bans in 16 years. They will learn their lesson, eventually, just not trolls.

There is other tools available to mods an especially admins but that reserved for the stupid

• Advertisement
Advertisement