Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houseshare tenant rights

Options
  • 09-05-2015 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

I probably know the answer to this, but just want to confirm...! Moved into a house a year ago, no lease signed. Deposit given to person moving out. Do I have any rights at all? Fairly sure landlord will sell soon, concerned about notice, and deposit. Also landlord is insisting on painting bedrooms. I would prefer not to have anyone in my room, can I refuse?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dearg lady wrote: »
    I probably know the answer to this, but just want to confirm...! Moved into a house a year ago, no lease signed. Deposit given to person moving out. Do I have any rights at all? Fairly sure landlord will sell soon, concerned about notice, and deposit. Also landlord is insisting on painting bedrooms. I would prefer not to have anyone in my room, can I refuse?
    Does the landlord live there with you or not?

If yes then you are not a tenant but a licensee with very few rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Sorry, should have specified, landlord doesn't live here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dearg lady wrote: »
    Sorry, should have specified, landlord doesn't live here
    Ok then once you pay your rent to the Landlord or once rent you pay is paid directly to the LL and you are not subletting from a house-mate you are a tenant and have all the rights of a tenant.

You should visit the PRTB website where all the information on your rights as well as your obligations are outlined.

Ah, ok, that's my problem then I think. We all pay rent to one tenant, and he passes it on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You're not paying the deposit to the landlord- and you have no lease = Licensee situation. You can be asked by the person you are paying the rent to- or the landlord- to leave at any stage, without any statutory notice. The Act simply says that you should be given 'Reasonable' notice- in practice this means if you pay rent on a weekly basis- reasonable is a week, if its on a monthly basis- then reasonable is a month, etc etc.

You are not protected under the Act and can be asked to leave.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I thought as much. I guess this means I can't refuse access for the painting, ah, hassle!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Similarly- you only have to give 'reasonable' notice to quit. I would suggest you do just this- and find somewhere and a set of circumstances, where you are in fact the tenant. If the property is going to be sold anyway- you're going to have to move. This time of the year is probably best for finding somewhere new- it gets progressively worse as the summer goes on- to September when its urban warfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

urban warfare.

i like this saying!

Similarly- you only have to give 'reasonable' notice to quit. I would suggest you do just this- and find somewhere and a set of circumstances, where you are in fact the tenant. If the property is going to be sold anyway- you're going to have to move. This time of the year is probably best for finding somewhere new- it gets progressively worse as the summer goes on- to September when its urban warfare.

I am quite strongly leaning towards this! Thanks Conductor & Foggy!

As I suspected! We just got notice. 8 weeks so pretty fair. Hopefully they are also fair about the deposit!

• Advertisement
Advertisement