Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought MS Office for the wrong region.

Options
  • 10-05-2015 5:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

I bought a laptop and MS Office from Komplett a few weeks back and then moved abroad before trying to install the office package on my laptop... turns out it's region-specific and the European version I have doesn't work here. I contacted Microsoft and they said it can't be exchanged for a local one by them and they said to contact whoever sold it to me. I did this and Komplett have said since the box was opened (the only way for me to get to the product key), they can't replace it or provide a refund, etc. So now I've an unregistered, unused MS Office package I can't do anything with!

Does anyone know if there's any workaround for this problem?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I bought a laptop and MS Office from Komplett a few weeks back and then moved abroad before trying to install the office package on my laptop... turns out it's region-specific and the European version I have doesn't work here. I contacted Microsoft and they said it can't be exchanged for a local one by them and they said to contact whoever sold it to me. I did this and Komplett have said since the box was opened (the only way for me to get to the product key), they can't replace it or provide a refund, etc. So now I've an unregistered, unused MS Office package I can't do anything with!

Does anyone know if there's any workaround for this problem?

You could try changing the regional settings for your laptop maybe. Accessed via Control Panel

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

It's probably an IP geo-location block. You could try using a VPN like Tunnelbear to give you an Irish IP address in order to activate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

maki wrote: »
    It's probably an IP geo-location block. You could try using a VPN like Tunnelbear to give you an Irish IP address in order to activate it.

I just downloaded and installed Tunnelbear and it worked a charm! Thanks Maki, I really, really appreciate it!

Advertisement