Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK paper driving license for rent a car in USA

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I had a minor tip in the car park of a Walmart in a small town in Northern Florida this week, a woman reversed into me while I was stopped, minor damage to my car, broken light and a bit of trim on hers. She dials 911 and the Police showed up after twenty minutes. Not a bit friendly, 'licence and registration' he barked and he retreats to his patrol car where he sits for about ten minutes. I was starting to get worried as this is the part you see on the TV where you find out there's an outstanding warrant for something you did twenty years ago that you didn't even know about.
    He then returned to us, told us we were on private property so rules of the road don't apply and we each have to sort out her own damage. He told the woman she could leave but asked me to wait, I started to panic here wondering what he wanted me for.
    The lady drove off and his whole demeanour changed and he became a lot friendlier, he noticed the address on my licence, asked me what I was doing in town and proudly announced that he grew up in the next town....:eek:
    We spent the next twenty minutes shooting the breeze about everything from the GAA to the price of the pint back home.
    I was really glad I didn't have to explain my old pink paper UK licence with an address I haven't lived in for ten years as I only changed over in November.

I knew I'd done nothing wrong but there's something really scary in dealing with the police over here, there's no scope for discussion if something doesn't add up, it's not worth taking the risk if there's any doubt about your driving credentials.....

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Chisler2

Bayberry wrote: »
    If you need are considered a state resident for license purposes, an International Drivers Permit and an International license won't be of any use to you - and an IDP on it's own is never of any value.

If you're a visitor, having an IDP is never a bad idea, but most of the time in the US you will get by without it. However, if there is any issue of contention, you will be on firmer ground if you have an IDP along with your license.

I am Irish. I lived in the UK for 30 years and have a valid, no-points UK licence. I married a US citizen and live in Iowa.

If you live in this STATE for "more than 31 days" you are required to (a) do a fresh driving-test - however problem-free your licence elsewhere has been for decades and (b) have a State driving licence in order to either hire or purchase a vehicle.

Facts. You can "think" or "feel" however you like, or "try to find ways around it" but that is the LAW in this State (one of the "States" of the United States).

Listen up Ireland.........everywhere else outside is "different" to Ireland . OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Chisler2

I had a minor tip in the car park of a Walmart in a small town in Northern Florida this week, a woman reversed into me while I was stopped, minor damage to my car, broken light and a bit of trim on hers. She dials 911 and the Police showed up after twenty minutes. Not a bit friendly, 'licence and registration' he barked and he retreats to his patrol car where he sits for about ten minutes. I was starting to get worried as this is the part you see on the TV where you find out there's an outstanding warrant for something you did twenty years ago that you didn't even know about.
    He then returned to us, told us we were on private property so rules of the road don't apply and we each have to sort out her own damage. He told the woman she could leave but asked me to wait, I started to panic here wondering what he wanted me for.
    The lady drove off and his whole demeanour changed and he became a lot friendlier, he noticed the address on my licence, asked me what I was doing in town and proudly announced that he grew up in the next town....:eek:
    We spent the next twenty minutes shooting the breeze about everything from the GAA to the price of the pint back home.
    I was really glad I didn't have to explain my old pink paper UK licence with an address I haven't lived in for ten years as I only changed over in November.

I knew I'd done nothing wrong but there's something really scary in dealing with the police over here, there's no scope for discussion if something doesn't add up, it's not worth taking the risk if there's any doubt about your driving credentials.....

Well - the visiting Irish should surely confine their visit to Irish-Friendly-Florida. I can absolutely assure any potential Irish visitors that any misdemeanour in the State of Iowa will be dealt with bureaucratically and on the basis of empirical evidence and, unless (possibly.........but I doubt it very much!) you share a Swedish or Dutch historica-cultural background culture with trhe Federal Officer your misdemeanour or crime will be dealt with in the usual American way.............fairly and democratically and without - as far as is possible in human affairs! - "prejudice".

Advertisement