Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uefa Fair Play Farce

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If you can't even be bothered to describe what this thread is supposed to be about then I can't be bothered to be outraged about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This could set a really bad precedent. There have never been a club with a hooligan element participating in European competition before and this could pave the way for clubs like West Ham to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

In the great UEFA/FIFA scheme of things, this hardly qualifies as an outrage. In fact it could even be above board. Other criteria for judgement were positive play and respect for the opposition. So I can see why they finished above us, a country with Jack Charltin and Roy Keane as it's footballing icons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

gosplan wrote: »
    In the great UEFA/FIFA scheme of things, this hardly qualifies as an outrage. In fact it could even be above board. Other criteria for judgement were positive play and respect for the opposition. So I can see why they finished above us, a country with Jack Charltin and Roy Keane as it's footballing icons.

Was it not just yellow and red cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

CSF wrote: »
    Was it not just yellow and red cards?

No there are a few things that are counted, UCD got our spot and are now in EL based on the below:)
    Teams are judged on the following criteria:

Yellow and red cards: If no cards are shown the score will be 10. Every yellow card will deduct this total by 1. A red card will cost a team 3 points in the ranking. If the red card is the result of a second yellow card the deductions of the second yellow card will be ignored. But if a player gets a direct red card after he got a yellow card earlier, the yellow card will be counted as a deduction. This score could become negative
    Positive play: e.g. attacking tactics, acceleration of the game, efforts to gain time, and continued pursuit of goals. A team can score a maximum of 10 points and a minimum of 1 point
    Respect to the opponent: e.g. returning the ball to the opponent at a throw-in, helping an injured opponent: maximum 5 points, minimum 1 point
    Respect to the referee: maximum 5 points, minimum 1 point
    Behaviour of the team officials: maximum 5 points, minimum 1 point
    Behaviour of the fans: maximum 5 points, minimum 1 point
    NB: this criterion is ignored when the number of fans is negligible e.g. if there are no fans at all or because of penalty that was given by the UEFA
    The total number of points will be divided by the maximum number of points, 40 (or 35 if there are a negligible amount of fans), and multiplied by 10 which will result in a score between 0 and 10. The score is calculated to two decimal points and not rounded up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's not a good thing for UCD to be in the EL. A bad draw to Eastern Europe would be a difficult financial burden for the club to face.

gosplan wrote: »

The Uefa terms are a mistake. If a Dutch group of supporters has done the worst history and culture damage anyone does in 20-30 years but the association gets an extra club in Europe for being fair play. It can only be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's not a good thing for UCD to be in the EL. A bad draw to Eastern Europe would be a difficult financial burden for the club to face.

180k for being in the round will alleviate any financial issues. Decent result and possible 40k bonus, granted the money doesnt come until after the final.

Normally the FAI loans clubs the money and when UEFA pays it to the FAI they take whats owed before sending on the balance.

Wonder if the FAI charge interest......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Usually the first round draw is regionalised meaning Irish teams will generally face western/northern European teams.
    This season Sligo were in Lithuania, Derry were in Wales and Dundalk were in Luxembourg. Previous to that St. Pat's were in Lithuania and Drogheda in Sweden. Think before that the Irish teams were in Iceland. None of those locations would put a huge amount of financial strain on a club given the amount of money they would get in return. And UCD would never really be in financial difficulty anyway given that it's a college team.

As for the "Farce" in the OP; these disturbances occurred outside the ground I thought. Surely only the behaviour of the fans inside the ground would be taken into account for the fair play league. Just like the behaviour of the Chelsea fans on the train in Paris wouldn't have made a difference to England's ranking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

The Uefa terms are a mistake. If a Dutch group of supporters has done the worst history and culture damage anyone does in 20-30 years but the association gets an extra club in Europe for being fair play. It can only be wrong.

I'm sorry but you have no clue about football hooligans or ultras if you think Dutch fans are the worst. The last major tragedy involving Dutch football happened back in the 1990's when the Ajax and Feyenoord fans had a riot and a lad got killed; this type of incident happens almost every year in Eastern European countries, where the ultras and hooligan groups are far more violent than in Holland.

Even English fans are far from the best behaved, West Ham look set to get a place because of this scheme, yet if you saw what their fans are like when they play Millwall, you'd be moaning about them too.

And if Feyenoord fans are the worst, why should the association be blamed for what a bunch of idiots do on an away trip? It's hardly fair to stop another club from getting a EL place just because the fans of a different club were misbehaving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

They're students. Interrail it over. Be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

anncoates wrote: »
    They're students. Interrail it over. Be grand.

Cans and Naggins, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Usually the first round draw is regionalised meaning Irish teams will generally face western/northern European teams.
    This season Sligo were in Lithuania, Derry were in Wales and Dundalk were in Luxembourg. Previous to that St. Pat's were in Lithuania and Drogheda in Sweden. Think before that the Irish teams were in Iceland. None of those locations would put a huge amount of financial strain on a club given the amount of money they would get in return. And UCD would never really be in financial difficulty anyway given that it's a college team.

How so? They havent got an actual fanbase that exceeds 400/500. They do not have an actual income stream via tickets, merchandise like other clubs. They recieve money from the college yes but it comes no where near what they need to play for a season in the LOI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

So ban Feyenoord then.

Or do you want UEFA to go back to the 80's and ban all clubs from an association because of the actions of one set of fans (e.g. Heysel)? Is/was that really fair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Is it obligatory to use the word "farce" every time UEFA is spoken about?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

MrKingsley wrote: »
    How so? They havent got an actual fanbase that exceeds 400/500. They do not have an actual income stream via tickets, merchandise like other clubs. They recieve money from the college yes but it comes no where near what they need to play for a season in the LOI
    Right, maybe I used the wrong term when I said they would never be in financial difficulty. UCD got into financial difficulty back in the 1980s when they had to sell a good few of their players. But more recently they've been one of the few clubs not to be in financial difficulty while still remaining mostly competitive.

And if the money received through the college comes nowhere near what we need for a season in the LOI, then why are we now pushing on to 40 seasons in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

If I posted what I thought of the Feyenoord fans who caused that trouble I'd probably get banned from the forum, but I don't really understand why any other Dutch club should miss out because of the actions of their rivals fans.

Ban the club involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

v3ttel wrote: »
    If I posted what I thought of the Feyenoord fans who caused that trouble I'd probably get banned from the forum, but I don't really understand why any other Dutch club should miss out because of the actions of their rivals fans.

Ban the club involved.

precedent perhaps - all English clubs were banned from European competition for 5 years after Heysel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So ban Feyenoord then.

Or do you want UEFA to go back to the 80's and ban all clubs from an association because of the actions of one set of fans (e.g. Heysel)? Is/was that really fair?

UEFA only banned English clubs on the back of the English government.

If it was a full UEFA ban England would also have been banned from World Cups in 86 and 90 and Euro 88 leaving Ireland with out their greatest football moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Right, maybe I used the wrong term when I said they would never be in financial difficulty. UCD got into financial difficulty back in the 1980s when they had to sell a good few of their players. But more recently they've been one of the few clubs not to be in financial difficulty while still remaining mostly competitive.

And if the money received through the college comes nowhere near what we need for a season in the LOI, then why are we now pushing on to 40 seasons in it?

A big chunk of the money comes from fundraising within the club. Whether it be through the Superleague, kids football camps, subs paid by the LSL players.

UCD AFC is constantly under financial pressure but manages to keep its head above water by being careful with the little money they do have

• Advertisement
Advertisement