Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Housemates and Renting!

Options
  • 10-05-2015 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

I've recently finished college and need to move out of my rented apartment. I haven't signed any leasing agreement, the room belonged to one of the original signees of the lease but he moved out.

I am paying one of the people living here, but now I've been told i've to find someone to move in to replace me or continuing paying rent even though im not living here.

At first I agreed with this, but now I'm annoyed because one of the housemates has a new dog living here and I may not be able to find a buyer as a result of this. I love dogs, so it was not a problem for me, but for anyone looking to rent my room this may be a deal-breaker.

Any advice ? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You can walk away. You owe nothing to no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

You can walk away. You owe nothing to no one.

Really? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

What was the agreement?

If you said you would stay for 9 months and you are leaving after 9 months then you shouldnt have to find someone.

What was the agreement?

If you said you would stay for 9 months and you are leaving after 9 months then you shouldnt have to find someone.

There was a verbal agreement that I would rent the house until Friday this week since January. No landlord as far as I know.

Bit of a development. I've been told that I don't have to pay up, but make an effort to find a replacement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 fieldsmedal23

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Bit of a development. I've been told that I don't have to pay up, but make an effort to find a replacement!

Isn't that absolutely fantastic for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

That can only be a request, not an obligation. Feel free to ignore it if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

sounds like its one of the housemates parent's house. Just make a bit of an effort to find someone i.e. a facebook post seeing if anyone is looking to move into that area, either get a response or don't and then leave them off.

sounds like its one of the housemates parent's house. Just make a bit of an effort to find someone i.e. a facebook post seeing if anyone is looking to move into that area, either get a response or don't and then leave them off.

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've recently finished college and need to move out of my rented apartment. I haven't signed any leasing agreement, the room belonged to one of the original signees of the lease but he moved out.
    Did you pay a deposit when you moved in?

• Advertisement

That can only be a request, not an obligation. Feel free to ignore it if you want.

It's sort of the "rule" of house sharing that you find the replacement before you move. It may not be something you are forced to do but it's the courteous thing to do rather than your housemates having to go to the hassle of doing it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's sort of the "rule" of house sharing that you find the replacement before you move. It may not be something you are forced to do but it's the courteous thing to do rather than your housemates having to go to the hassle of doing it.

If there's a contract then yeah but in alot of other places it wouldn't be the case.

I think the people still in the house would prefer to vet the replacement in alot of places so it falls back on them or the landlord.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If there's a contract then yeah but in alot of other places it wouldn't be the case.

I think the people still in the house would prefer to vet the replacement in alot of places so it falls back on them or the landlord.

I've never seen a contract in any houseshare I've been in, always just individual rooms let to people with no paper work whatsoever and people can move out with a months notice, deposits usually passed on from the person moving in to the person moving out etc so really in the interest of the person moving out to get someone.

Generally I find other house mates don't want the hassle of finding people recently a person moved out of my house and refused to find someone which meant I had to do viewings etc while being very busy id have been happier if the person moving would have found someone themselves (like had always happened in the house since I moved in and there is a turnover of tenant every 9 or 10 months usually on average). The people can still be vetted by the others but all the phone answering, advertising etc is done by the person moving.

Advertisement