Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pickpockets

Options
  • 10-05-2015 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭

Just to give you a heads up, there's two lads pickpocketing in Galway city.

Was walking home last night around midnight at the docks when 2 guys were passing by, one walked into me and then asked where I was heading. I assumed it was two drunk lads from out of town looking for somewhere to head so I told them I was heading home but suggested a pub and they continued onwards. Couple of minutes later realised my phone was gone.

The guy who pickpocketed me was around 5"8 with a dark jacket and dark hair that was heavily receding at the front. The other guy was taller but I didn't see what he looked like. Both were white although I dunno what country they were from. Might've been Irish.

Thought it'd be a good idea to post this up so other people can keep an eye out and avoid them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 harlemangel

Same thing happened to me fri night walking through Eyre square. . Two lads again, jostled into me as he was walking by... realised a few mins later that my phone was gone ... called millstreat guards on sat morn... was told that the cameras in eyre squaredon't get good quality footage cause the leaves are in the way. .. unbelievable.
    Anyway, safe to say that these guys are operating regularly in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

The garda told me they have cameras at the docks but the quality isn't great.

Sure pickpockets get slim to no punishment when they're caught anyway so I wouldn't be looking for a court to sort this out.

Best thing that can happen to them is they do it to the wrong person and get their heads kicked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Seriously, what is the point in cameras if they can't capture anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Update: the Gardai said there was a large number of pickpocketing being reported over the weekend, conducted by two lads so the Gardai say they're taking it very seriously. There were two Bulgarian women who were caught pickpocketing by CCTV in Galway a couple of years ago and both were jailed so here's hoping something similar happens here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah if Garda nab these two they may decrease the risk by as much as 50% as there is usually a group of them coming up from somewhere else and then move on as soon as the heat is turned on.

Be extra careful when you're drunk and keep everything in your front trouser pockets as these are hardest to steal from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

when someone bumps into you, it should set the alarms ringing. what they do then is try and distract you with questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

This is why always keep a mousetrap in my pocket when walking after dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 harlemangel

biko wrote: »
    Yeah if Garda nab these two they may decrease the risk by as much as 50% as there is usually a group of them coming up from somewhere else and then move on as soon as the heat is turned on.

Be extra careful when you're drunk and keep everything in your front trouser pockets as these are hardest to steal from.

My phone was in my front pocket, its where I keep it so that it doesn't get stolen .. well, back to the drawing board on that one now ... :-/

Advertisement