Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deleting software from eternal hard drives

Options
  • 10-05-2015 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

When you put an external hard drive into a computer for the first time it installs software into your computer.Is it possible to delete this from your computer completley and would this affect further use of the hard drive

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

External hard disks are plug and play devices. Some may have additional software (encryption etc.) but the driver that the system installs when the device is first plugged in is generic and cannot be removed.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

yoyo wrote: »
    External hard disks are plug and play devices. Some may have additional software (encryption etc.) but the driver that the system installs when the device is first plugged in is generic and cannot be removed.

Nick

So can I delete this software and if so how?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

So can I delete this software and if so how?

If it's encryption/backup software it is usually installed under the name of the drive manufacturer so something Western Digital backup or Samsung backup or whatever. Use Add / Remove programs in Control Panel to find and remove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd say its most likely the driver the OP is referring to.

Advertisement