Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate - Taking the P!ss??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Good for you.
    Welcome to boards.ie

Whatever your intention, that sounds like a very snide remark. Such remarks aren't welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Squatman

the_syco wrote: »
    Why? Seriously now. Why? The OP is renting at 650.

OP; get a new house. How much of a deposit did you pay? Can't see anyone moving into the house with the dog there. The person you live with nor the landlord has your deposit, so unless you get someone to swap, you lose your deposit.

If you do move out, and can't get another tenant to replace you (and thus get the deposit) because of the dog, ensure you screw over the other tenant and let the landlord know that you're moving out due to the dog.

The reason this should happen, is the op has come to an agreement with the housemate, which is unfair as I see it, and if anyone else sees this as being fair please get back to me, but they both have exclusive rights to a bathroom under this agreement and therefor neither party has it better.

Regards the advice in your second paragraph i would advise that the op stand his ground and not run from his/her problems. that is just childish. (as is telling tales on the housemate behind his back). Whilst i would often agree to cut losses, in this case, the op has not confronted the housemate in any way, shape, or form, and it would be erroneous of him to leave, without trying to alter the living agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

OP, I'm inferring from your post that you haven't even raised an issue with the roommate. He doesn't even know what's bothering you as you've agreed to everything thus far. You have two options, move out, or try to work it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

DryBalls wrote: »
    There was no lease, just simply paying the person moving out the deposit and the man who had lived there for 2 years dealt with rent and the landlord.. :(

Looks like the op is a licencee of the tenant. If you have no lease and you are paying your rent to this chap then effectively he is acting as your landlord. You can assert yourself but if he asks you to leave you have no rights or recourse really. You could contact the landlord alright about subletting and the dog but you can't be sure that the landlord doesn't already know about this already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Kelly06 wrote: »
    Looks like the op is a licencee of the tenant. If you have no lease and you are paying your rent to this chap then effectively he is acting as your landlord. You can assert yourself but if he asks you to leave you have no rights or recourse really. You could contact the landlord alright about subletting and the dog but you can't be sure that the landlord doesn't already know about this already?

I'd lay money neither the LL nor the Management Co know about the dog...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

I'd lay money neither the LL nor the Management Co know about the dog...

Possibly not but op has no relationship with the landlord so how would you locate them? If he / she is lucky the PRTB might have details if the landlord is registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DryBalls

Hi all, thanks for your replies. Just in relation to some people saying that maybe my housemate isn't aware of these issues as I haven't said anything... he is in his early thirties and has house shared with people for years... i am sure he is aware, it's not like he is 18 and living out of home for the first time. I have made the point in the last few days of running to get on to the sofa first when i finish work (childish I know) and putting on tv on my laptop thinking maybe seeming I was here first I could relax in the sitting room and watch some tv, albeit on my laptop, for the evening. Maybe if I did this two or 3 times a week he may get the point. Only to have him come in, sit on the other sofa and turn up the volume on the television until I couldnt hear my laptop.

Also I didnt realise that I could be liable for the dog. I simply said I didn't mind if he got a dog. The dog is nothing to do with me, my name isn't on the lease just my housemates so how could I be liable? I know legally if both our names were on the lease, we would be jointly liable and I would have to privately go after him for the cost although most decent housemates would pay solely for damage caused by them. I just assumed that any damage caused by my housemate would be his problem especially seeing as it is his name on the lease and I am just subletting. So does this mean that if the dog chews through a wire the housemate may ask me for 50% of the costs to fix it? That doesn't seem fair.

And I asked him last night for the landlord's number, just to have in case of an issue and he said he would give it to me later. He basically fobbed me off. He again restated that he did not want to contact the landlord about anything as the rent is a good deal below market value due to the absentee landlord and he is afraid by contacting the landlord to get something fixed, the landlord may decide to raise the rent. There has recently been issues with the water. The pump is not working correctly and the water is going intermittently... it is only a matter of time until it breaks completely but he is refusing to contact the landlord saying that he will shower at work etc if that does happen.

Does anyone know how I could contact the landlord? The previous tenant doesn't have the number either. I have tried to check the PRTB to see if the house is registered but it keeps asking for my pps number etc. which I do not want to give, especially if it turns out the apartment is not registered. I have no idea who the management company is either, I dont know is there a website containing big management companies so I could ring around a few and see if they manage my apartment block.

I am looking for a new place. This tenant has decided that this is his apartment and is only renting out that room to make it cheaper for himself. He has no concept of sharing The apartment is falling to rack and ruin due to his tightness. He is very selfish to live with and I can see why he goes through housemates every 6 months or so. I am sure the landlord would be very unhappy at the state the apartment is in, the dog etc. and also the way this tenant is acting as if he owns the apartment causing reasonable tenants to move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

Would the person you found the apartment of ( friend/acquaintance) know the landlords name and contact details ?

Threshold will give you the LL's phone number

Whatever way you look at this, unfortunately it's not going to work out.
    Find somewhere else.
    This whole situation is a disgrace, the LL will have a fit when he hears about the dog.
    Have a look at the Threshold website, they are there to help you.
    Best of luck!

Hi all, thanks for your replies. Just in relation to some people saying that maybe my housemate isn't aware of these issues as I haven't said anything... he is in his early thirties and has house shared with people for years... i am sure he is aware, it's not like he is 18 and living out of home for the first time.

Whatever about the common areas, you agreed to the rent, you agreed to the dog. These are two of your main complaints in the original post. If you have a problem you need to voice it.

By the way, the landlord isn't going to care about the amount of rent you pay or the issue of the common areas. The dog might be another issue but it's hardly worth your time trying to chase it up.
    I am looking for a new place. This tenant has decided that this is his apartment and is only renting out that room to make it cheaper for himself. He has no concept of sharing The apartment is falling to rack and ruin due to his tightness. He is very selfish to live with and I can see why he goes through housemates every 6 months or so. I am sure the landlord would be very unhappy at the state the apartment is in, the dog etc. and also the way this tenant is acting as if he owns the apartment causing reasonable tenants to move out.

Technically it is his apartment. You are subletting from him. He is the de facto landlord in this situation. Just move as soon as the opportunity arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Squatman

Hi all, thanks for your replies. Just in relation to some people saying that maybe my housemate isn't aware of these issues as I haven't said anything... he is in his early thirties and has house shared with people for years... i am sure he is aware, it's not like he is 18 and living out of home for the first time. I have made the point in the last few days of running to get on to the sofa first when i finish work (childish I know) and putting on tv on my laptop thinking maybe seeming I was here first I could relax in the sitting room and watch some tv, albeit on my laptop, for the evening. Maybe if I did this two or 3 times a week he may get the point. Only to have him come in, sit on the other sofa and turn up the volume on the television until I couldnt hear my laptop.

Also I didnt realise that I could be liable for the dog. I simply said I didn't mind if he got a dog. The dog is nothing to do with me, my name isn't on the lease just my housemates so how could I be liable? I know legally if both our names were on the lease, we would be jointly liable and I would have to privately go after him for the cost although most decent housemates would pay solely for damage caused by them. I just assumed that any damage caused by my housemate would be his problem especially seeing as it is his name on the lease and I am just subletting. So does this mean that if the dog chews through a wire the housemate may ask me for 50% of the costs to fix it? That doesn't seem fair.

And you think he is the childish one? Grow a pair, and stick up for yourself, you cant hide from confrontation all your life. Just dont get into a row.
    Say something like this "I need you to remove your telly from the communal area, if you are not going to share it" Most people are not telepathic, but it sounds like you are both passive aggressive

• Advertisement

Joolzie wrote: »
    Threshold will give you the LL's phone number

Whatever way you look at this, unfortunately it's not going to work out.
    Find somewhere else.
    This whole situation is a disgrace, the LL will have a fit when he hears about the dog.
    Have a look at the Threshold website, they are there to help you.
    Best of luck!

Where are Threshold going to get the landlord's number from?

Where are Threshold going to get the landlord's number from?

They have a copy of all lets from the PRTB.

They have a copy of all lets from the PRTB.

Not that I know of. They are a housing charity, why would the PRTB give them their database?

Edit: even if they had the information, how can they verify who they're giving it out to?

Not that I know of. They are a housing charity, why would the PRTB give them their database?

Edit: even if they had the information, how can they verify who they're giving it out to?

Because Threshold is there to sort out tennant/Landlord issues, for the tennants. How could they possibly do this without being able to speak to both parties to sort out issues?,

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DryBalls

Squatman wrote: »
    And you think he is the childish one? Grow a pair, and stick up for yourself, you cant hide from confrontation all your life. Just dont get into a row.
    Say something like this "I need you to remove your telly from the communal area, if you are not going to share it" Most people are not telepathic, but it sounds like you are both passive aggressive

Hi, Yes I am aware that this living situation is turning me crazy, and am looking for a new place.

But tbh I think it is my housemate is being the passive aggressive one. After months of living there, I am in the living room watching tv on my laptop (for the first time while he is at home) which I am perfectly entitled to do and isn't passive aggressive at all I dont think.

He came into the living room and saw me there, said hello and then sat down and turned on his television on and turned up the volume until I couldnt hear my laptop. I think that is him behaving in a passive aggressive manner, not me. I just left which is exactly what he wanted me to do.

Yes I should have said something but my show was almost over and I was heading out so i did not want to cause an argument over ten minutes more of my tv show. But I think he was in some weird way asserting his dominance over the communal space.

Tbh I am moving out, this man is too selfish to live with but I am struggling to find out ho to contact the landlord/management company as I do not have the number. i really want to report my housemate to my landlord as he is allowing the apartment to fall into disrepair, is breaking the lease (i assume) by having the dog and I just want to let the landlord know.

I am telling my housemate this evening when I finish work that I am staying in tonight watching a movie on his tv with some friends in the living room and if he is unhappy to move the television into his bedroom and we can watch it on a laptop instead. I am done trying to be nice and cannot wait to leave!

Because Threshold is there to sort out tennant/Landlord issues, for the tennants. How could they possibly do this without being able to speak to both parties to sort out issues?,

How this normally works is that the tenant contacts Threshold already knowing the landlord's contact details.

How this normally works is that the tenant contacts Threshold already knowing the landlord's contact details.

My flatmate got LL mobile from Threshold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

@DryBalls As it stands at the moment you appear to be subletting from this pig that you pay rent to. as you are living with your "landlord" you are no longer classed as a tenant and have no recourse to the PRTB. You appear to be a licensee which leaves you with no real rights. You are this other persons paying guest and as such he can throw you and your belongings out the door any time he wants! To me it sounds like he might even be the owner of the property.

You need to find a new place to live quickly and If I was in your position I wouldn't be bothering to find out who a landlord is but I would be thinking about how I was going to get my deposit back!

This is how this guy gets new tenants so often! when people find out what he is like they want to leave but they have given their deposit to a previous tenant so the only option for those leaving is to find a new tenant victim who will pay them back their deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I am telling my housemate this evening when I finish work that I am staying in tonight watching a movie on his tv with some friends in the living room and if he is unhappy to move the television into his bedroom and we can watch it on a laptop instead. I am done trying to be nice and cannot wait to leave!
    he does'nt do nice.
    Watch movie on your laptop from the beginning of the movie.
    Ask him to move tv into his own bedroom - he'll switch it on in the living room and try to watch it.
    Then he'll put the volume on too loud.
    Then tell him to move with his telly to his bedroom.
    let your friends know beforehand about how the drama will unfold.

My flatmate got LL mobile from Threshold!

The only way I can imagine this worked is if Threshold had dealt with the landlord before and had details on file.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

The best thing you can do is move out and report your housemate to the landlord when you get the landlords contact details. Life can be hard enough without putting up with that muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If I was in your position I wouldn't be bothering to find out who a landlord is but I would be thinking about how I was going to get my deposit back!
    This is what I would be thinking also. <Mod Snip - don't give advice contrary to Irish law.>

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Turfcutter

What if his tv was to stop working properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

OP, Are you paying for the TV License?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Stand up and be counted or lie down and be mounted

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Turfcutter wrote: »
    What if his tv was to stop working properly?

Mod Note:

What if you were banned for breaching the charter?
    Keep it constructive and on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭crushproof

Outcome?!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭yourhero

I had a somewhat similar scenario. It is key to find out the landlord - 2 options

1. Ring up a few mgt companies and maybe you'll get lucky
    2. Tell housemate that you'll contact the PRTB as you need the details to claim rent relief (or some other plausible reason)

Either way, find it out.

Then contact landlord and say your housemate is not ideal. Has a dog, deals with deposits himself and basically cast yourself as the good guy and one that
    In my situation, there was 3 of us and 1 of the others was, lets use the term, eccentric. We wanted them out and the mgt company had no issue. We contacted neighbours and gardai in case of escalation. Then we changed the locks leaving their stuff outside. There was a bit of a scene but eventually they left.

By the way, unless you stay, your deposit is gone in all likelihood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Kelly06 wrote: »

Although if the other tenant asks the op to leave - then the op is entitled to some notice and deposit back - so be smart - have an idea/plan to move out , and time it just before rent is due and not just after-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Just read six pages only to find no damn conclusion!

Wonder what happened to the OP? Is he still there paying over the odds to be abused by his flatmate & his dog & loud TV or did he move out & is now blissfully happy & thankful he escaped?

It's like finding the last couple of pages of a book have been torn out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement