Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Heffernan 5k Tue May 19th 8pm

Options
  • 10-05-2015 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

From comments read here this is meant to be one of the fastest 5ks going. Surprised to see no thread for this years event.

Going to head down myself for this as a tune up / see where I'm at 5k. Anyone else up for a trip ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭DocQismyJesus

From comments read here this is meant to be one of the fastest 5ks going. Surprised to see no thread for this years event.

Going to head down myself for this as a tune up / see where I'm at 5k. Anyone else up for a trip ?

My favourite race in Ireland. Rocket fast

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

My favourite race in Ireland. Rocket fast

5k on the track the day after :( will miss this!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Already signed up...have high hopes for a PB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Am hoping to run this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I've been following a 5k plan from Pfitzinger's Faster Road Racing for the last 12 weeks with this as my goal race so I'm hoping it'll all come together for a PB.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm in for this, going to be my last 5K for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I presume you can enter on the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

wrstan wrote: »
    I presume you can enter on the day?

I hope so, I am planning to. You could last year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

€15 on the day, according to the poster. See y'all there!

It's great value!

But holy cow, I just had a look at the forecast, it's sayin "near gale" :eek::eek:

A couple of days ago it was forecasting almost no wind!

• Advertisement

wrstan wrote: »
    It's great value!

But holy cow, I just had a look at the forecast, it's sayin "near gale" :eek::eek:

A couple of days ago it was forecasting almost no wind!

But is the gale with us or against us?

menoscemo wrote: »
    But is the gale with us or against us?

According to those nice Norwegians it's from WNW, so I'll have to check out the course orientation.

Are you suggesting it could be an even quicker course than usual? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

All set for this. Should be a big turn out from our club as its our annual road trip:D

Tomorrow's forecast is not too bad (I'm looking at Enfield in particular). 10'C, no rain, and a moderate breeze (NW). Based on the course orientation, it'll be behind us at the start, side on (and slightly behind for the entire middle section (though largely sheltered by the hedges) and into the wind for the final kilometer. So a tough final kilometer, but aren't they always?

How does the course compare to the Tallaght 5k course. Would you say its 10 secs faster etc?

How does the course compare to the Tallaght 5k course. Would you say its 10 secs faster etc?
    If you're a sub-16 minute 5k runner, I'd say it's around 4 and 76/100ths seconds faster than Tallaght. Actually, now I come to think of it, I've never done Tallaght, so I don't know. Just run faster and it'll be quicker. :D Hard to find a faster course, as it's completely flat, has only two turns, and has a good competitive field. It's also on in the evening, so there's a pretty good chance of cool weather.

If you're a sub-16 minute 5k runner, I'd say it's around 4 and 76/100ths seconds faster than Tallaght. Actually, now I come to think of it, I've never done Tallaght, so I don't know. Just run faster and it'll be quicker. :D Hard to find a faster course, as it's completely flat, has only two turns, and has a good competitive field. It's also on in the evening, so there's a pretty good chance of cool weather.

Well its freezing out there now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Well its freezing out there now!!

And windy as **** now ! :D

Yes, at the moment thoughts of a PB are evaporating. If nothing else it'll be a good tough workout. I'll be having another crack at the distance in Bohermeen in a couple of weeks anyway, hopefully in calmer conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

be grand forecast is for dry, 10 degrees and a moderate breeze at 8pm - perfect running conditions :D (unless of course it doesn't go well in which case it was monsoon season with a hurricance blowing me backwards!!)

• Advertisement

I don't remember much wind in previous outings. I think the course might be well sheltered (we'll see later I guess!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

It's not too bad in between but fairly crazy when those hail showers come

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's going to be dry, cool, a tailwind the whole way round, everyone will get a PB and there will be Michelin star chef preparing cakes afterwards. And the coffee will live up to standards set last year (allegedly).

Anything less and I shall be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Results up already.........

http://www.precisiontiming.net/result.aspx?v=2648

KC 15:48
    Meno 19:11
    Pacing mule 22:10

Good work men

Yeah, it's certainly a fast course. The weather more or less played ball too despite the hail shower five minutes in. The course was pretty sheltered so the wind was never a problem and it really is flat as a pancake. I came in at 17:28 managing to knock one second off my three year old PB. I'm absolutely delighted with that as I've missed a lot of running over the last couple of years and have only been back training consistently since the start of this year.

Sandwell wrote: »
    Yeah, it's certainly a fast course. The weather more or less played ball too despite the hail shower five minutes in. The course was pretty sheltered so the wind was never a problem and it really is flat as a pancake. I came in at 17:28 managing to knock one second off my three year old PB. I'm absolutely delighted with that as I've missed a lot of running over the last couple of years and have only been back training consistently since the start of this year.

20:33 for me, 20.sec improvement on tallaght, so getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

36 sec improvement for me down to 17'19"...delighted :)

Sandwell wrote: »

20:33 for me, 20.sec improvement on tallaght, so getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

19:22 a PB by 20secs. Very happy with that.

• Advertisement

Nowhere near I want to be unfortunately.
    Felt I ran a very strong race, starting slow and passing people all the way and finished well. So i was pretty disappointed to see 19 already on the clock when hitting the finish straight, sub19 was my minmum expectation. Anyway it's a marker, onwards from here.

Edit: BTW the race was fantastic as always, bit of a crazy start!! great spread at the end. Well done to KC on the PB.

Advertisement