Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Heffernan 5k Tue May 19th 8pm

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Thanks a mill for the loan of the tenner Niall!
    What's your next few races so I can arrange to return the loan?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Great race to be honest. Well organised and nice course. Can't argue with €13 either. The start was a bit strange to say the least though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Loved this race - couldn't fault it tbh. Happy enough with 18:05 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Below par performance from me too, but that was nothing to do with the race.
    No complaints. Did I ever mention I hate 5k's though?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

22:04 for me on the watch (was a few seconds back from the start)

Since this was serving as a test to see if I was on for a sub 22 at my goal race in 4 weeks I'm calling it a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nowhere near I want to be unfortunately.
    Felt I ran a very strong race, starting slow and passing people all the way and finished well. So i was pretty disappointed to see 19 already on the clock when hitting the finish straight, sub19 was my minmum expectation. Anyway it's a marker, onwards from here.

Edit: BTW the race was fantastic as always, bit of a crazy start!! great spread at the end. Well done to KC on the PB.

i think you cruised past me at about 1 mile

• Registered Users Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Loved it, I did a great PB! Any pictures?

20:22 for me and very happy with that. Last sat week I ran 21:17 in Tallaght but I knew that was a poorly run race by me.

Next stop: sub 20!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

belcarra wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for the loan of the tenner Niall!
    What's your next few races so I can arrange to return the loan?

No worries John; I'll probably do the 5 mile in dunboyne next week, if not that, the beer mile?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Loved it, I did a great PB! Any pictures?
    Some here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

adrian522 wrote: »
    The start was a bit strange to say the least though!

What happened?

More pics here

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What happened?

Nothing really, I just didn't know what was going on. We were on a side road first of all. I thought the start was there. Then we went on to the main road and everyone seemed ready to go. Then after standing around a bit everyone started to jog forward. There was general confusion on if the race had started. After maybe a minute of this we came to a stop again and then the race got started for real.

All just seemed a bit strange.

Nothing really, I just didn't know what was going on. We were on a side road first of all. I thought the start was there. Then we went on to the main road and everyone seemed ready to go. Then after standing around a bit everyone started to jog forward. There was general confusion on if the race had started. After maybe a minute of this we came to a stop again and then the race got started for real.

All just seemed a bit strange.
    Pretty standard stuff tbh....they were trying to keep us off the main road to keep it open as long as possible. I think the idea of moving us to to the start line then is to try spread people out before the start. A lot of races do it.

All seemed a bit strange to me. didn't know where the start line was at all. Not complaining about it at all, as it probably served it's purpose. I just found it quite confusing.

All seemed a bit strange to me. didn't know where the start line was at all. Not complaining about it at all, as it probably served it's purpose. I just found it quite confusing.
    I suppose fair point, the start line wasn't clearly marked by a gantry.

Anyone else notice that the 500m to go sign seemed to be at the 4.7km mark?...not a problem for those with GPS watches but could have effected people's final push.

fletch wrote: »
    I suppose fair point, the start line wasn't clearly marked by a gantry.

Anyone else notice that the 500m to go sign seemed to be at the 4.7km mark?...not a problem for those with GPS watches but could have effected people's final push.

That sign broke my heart!!
    I was wearing a watch alright but I wasn't looking at it, so I believed (until now) that the sign was actually at 500m to go. I remember thinking WTF at the time though!!

That sign broke my heart!!
    I was wearing a watch alright but I wasn't looking at it, so I believed (until now) that the sign was actually at 500m to go. I remember thinking WTF at the time though!!
    I had a friend following behind me without a GPS watch (he was just using a stopwatch) and was worried it might mess up the end of the race....luckily it didn't though and he set a PB :D

Kms 1, 2 & 3 were all pretty much spot on (a few metres long according to my watch maybe but as you'd expect).
    Km4 marker came in around 50m short and then the 500m marker as mentioned was about 350m to go.

Thankfully I was giving it everything anyways so it made no real difference to me as I wouldn't have been able to change my tactics regardless!

No worries John; I'll probably do the 5 mile in dunboyne next week, if not that, the beer mile?

Just had a look there at the Dunboyne race...Is it similar quick to Terenure?
    I think I might give that a go alright.

Still trying to develop the balls to push myself along and enter the Beer Mile. :o
    Watch this space...

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Just had a look there at the Dunboyne race...Is it similar quick to Terenure?
    I think I might give that a go alright.

Still trying to develop the balls to push myself along and enter the Beer Mile. :o
    Watch this space...

By all accounts it's a faster course than Terenure, never actually done it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Did both last year. Dunboyne as a second chance to hit a target missed at Terrnure. Hit it. :) I do think Dunboyne is a slightly faster course. Nice rural roads. One downside though is no starting mat.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

My first time to do this race even though it is a local one for me. Chuffed to bits with my 21.47 by my watch (21.56) timed but I started way back. Over a minute of a personal best. I guess some proper training does work.

Race Report here if anyone is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 13,465 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

fletch wrote: »
    I had a friend following behind me without a GPS watch (he was just using a stopwatch) and was worried it might mess up the end of the race....luckily it didn't though and he set a PB :D

Only a stopwatch in this day and age! (It was me :) )

Advertisement