Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE's coverage of the All Irelands announced.

• 10-05-2015 5:37pm

SUNDAY GAME LIVE COVERAGE
    17 MAY Donegal v Tyrone - Ulster SFC quarter-final

24 MAY Cavan v Monaghan - Ulster SFC quarter-final
    Clare v Limerick - Munster SHC quarter-final

31 MAY Dublin v Galway - Leinster SHC quarter-final
    Dublin v Longford/Offaly - Leinster SFC quarter-final

7 JUNE Derry v Down - Ulster SFC quarter-final
    Cork v Waterford - Munster SHC quarter-final

14 JUNE Armagh V Donegal/Tyrone - Ulster SFC quarter-final
    Galway/Leitrim v Mayo - Connacht SFC quarter-final

21 JUNE Kilkenny v Wexford/Qualifier runner-up
    Clare/Limerick v Tipperary - Munster SHC semi-final

28 JUNE Louth/Westmeath/Wexford v Meath/Wicklow
    Dublin/Offaly/Longfordv Kildare/Laois/Carlow
    4 JULY All-Ireland qualifier
    5 JULY Leinster hurling final & Munster football final
    11 JULY All-Ireland qualifier
    12 JULY Leinster football final & Munster hurling final
    19 JULY Connacht football final & Ulster football final
    26 JULY All-Ireland SHC quarter-finals
    2 AUGUST All-Ireland SFC quarter-finals x 2
    9 AUGUST All-Ireland SHC semi-final
    16 AUGUST All-Ireland SHC semi-final
    23 AUGUST All-Ireland SFC semi-final
    30 AUGUST All-Ireland SFC semi-final
    6 SEPTEMBER All-Ireland hurling final
    20 SEPTEMBER All-Ireland football final

Comments

Ill just keep my own opinions on this in a separate post.

Does anyone else find it highly irritating that RTE show Ulster Championship games that are already shown on BBC while other games go un-televised?.

Galway play Leitrim the same day as the Donegal/Tyrone game but both channels will show that Ulster game instead.

Even if you take away the fact that the Ulster games are already shown on BBC, there's also the added fact that they're in another jurisdiction that doesn't even contribute towards the license to pay for RTE.
    And finally you get the issue where very few people want to watch two northern teams play.

So why do they generally edge towards Ulster games so much?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Showing the Dublin v Longford/Offaly match is a complete waste of time.It will be a complete turkey shoot.

Offaly are playing Longford next Saturday in what should be a closely contested game and would provide a lot more entertainment.The league final between the 2 was entertaining as was the championship match last year.

Although the matches in Ulster are closely contested they tend to be very dogged and I half think RTE show them in order to give Spillane and Brolly an opportunity to go on a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Even if you take away the fact that the Ulster games are already shown on BBC, there's also the added fact that they're in another jurisdiction that doesn't even contribute towards the license to pay for RTE.
    And finally you get the issue where very few people want to watch two northern teams play.

So why do they generally edge towards Ulster games so much?.

Because Ulster is competitive. No other province is to the same degree.

Also, do you not think licence fee payers would prefer to watch two of the top teams in the country, Donegal and Tryone play, than watch the likes of Longford be hammered by Dublin?

And three counties in Ulster do pay licence fees in the jurisdiction by the way. Not that I think that has any relevance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Showing the Dublin v Longford/Offaly match is a complete waste of time.It will be a complete turkey shoot.

Offaly are playing Longford next Saturday in what should be a closely contested game and would provide a lot more entertainment.The league final between the 2 was entertaining as was the championship match last year.

Although the matches in Ulster are closely contested they tend to be very dogged and I half think RTE show them in order to give Spillane and Brolly an opportunity to go on a rant.

Nope - it's cos RTE are too cheap to send out a camera crew - far easier to take BBC NI's rubbish quality feed with more shots of the crowd than the actual game action and save another few thousand to help keep the wolf from the door for the overpaid RTE "stars"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

I can only speak for myself but every one of the Ulster matches look mouthwatering with the exception of Fermanagh and Antrim.

Galway/Leitrim wouldn't have the same appeal as Donegal/Tyrone but fair enough if BBC are showing the later.

My only complaint is that there aren't enough televised matches but I suppose we have Sky and decreasing attendances to thank for that.

• Advertisement

I can only speak for myself but every one of the Ulster matches look mouthwatering with the exception of Fermanagh and Antrim.

Galway/Leitrim wouldn't have the same appeal as Donegal/Tyrone but fair enough if BBC are showing the later.

My only complaint is that there aren't enough televised matches but I suppose we have Sky and decreasing attendances to thank for that.

On paper those ulster matches look like great contests.But for years I have been looking forward to matches in Ulster and in the last 4 or 5 years they end up as defensive tussles with neither team really going for it. If these teams went out and played the good football like they can they would be great matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I can't wait to see the Donegal v Tyrone game. It should be a real humdinger. I'm not terribly interested in Leitrim or Galway. I'd say most neutrals would feel the same way, hence RTE deciding to show the game, even if the BBC are showing it too. Donegal are recent AI winners and current AI finalists after all. A lot of people will be curious to see how they have bounced back from last Septembers disappointment & how they will line out under Rory Gallagher. With all due respect to Galway and Leitrim, they don't bring quite the same level of razamatazz to the table.

Jampip wrote: »
    Because Ulster is competitive. No other province is to the same degree.

Also, do you not think licence fee payers would prefer to watch two of the top teams in the country, Donegal and Tryone play, than watch the likes of Longford be hammered by Dublin?

And three counties in Ulster do pay licence fees in the jurisdiction by the way. Not that I think that has any relevance.

Well as stated, Galway are playing Leitrim.

Anyway the most important fact is that the Ulster games are already covered by BBC so it's just a waste to cover them too.

You're right on the 3 and it's somewhat relevant with this weekends game but they'll be showing an all proper Ulster clash in a few weeks and I feel in that regard its not right of RTE when they're funded by the 26.
    It would be similar to RTE showing Northern Ireland play while the ROI game went untelevised, their commitment should be to their fee payers.

Especially when another common channel is already covering the Ulster games.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Anyway the most important fact is that the Ulster games are already covered by BBC so it's just a waste to cover them too.

You're right on the 3 and it's somewhat relevant with this weekends game but they'll be showing an all proper Ulster clash in a few weeks and I feel in that regard its not right of RTE when they're funded by the 26.
    It would be similar to RTE showing Northern Ireland play while the ROI game went untelevised, their commitment should be to their fee payers.

That's a ludicrous statement. Do you think RTE show games just for the fans of the respective counties? The Ulster games will draw a lot more interest from the 26 counties than most teams as they are competitive, particularly in the early stages.

What's the alternative games to show on this day that the all Ulster affair is on?

Also, do you honestly expect RTE to show a Division 2 team hammer a Division 4 team when they can show two current GAA heavyweights in battle?

As licence payers, we pay to be entertained.

RTE also need viewers for advertising revenue. So they can show a game that will draw viewers or just allow BBC to show it and get no viewers at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭overshoot

Every game in that list above with the exception of Dublin has the potential to go either way. From the posters above, they are not overly interested interested in that turkey shoot, which is what galway & leitrim would also be.... only with a much smaller native population to bring up viewing figures.

If you base teams on league divisions for next year as pulling power... D2 Galway v D4 Leitrim .... D2 Fermanagh v D4 Antrim....
    see what your looking for??
    while i would expect galway to improve this year (how could they not?!) they are so far off the radar atm.
    I cant really stand RTE, never watch the analysis and its the saving grace of going to games not having to listen to them... but theyre right on this one imo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It is the other way round.

http://balls.ie/gaa/gaa-sky-tv-rights-package-announced/

Of the 31 games RTÉ will broadcast it is pretty much as you were in previous years. They will have rights to all six provincial finals, with BBC Northern Ireland also showing all Ulster championship matches RTÉ obtain the rights to.

That is the deal which the GAA did with RTE and BBC. If RTE chose not to show Donegal v Tyrone for instance then the BBC could not show it either.

Anyway even if the BBC had the rights how do you think their signal could get to the likes of Kerry and Galway? Not everyone has a satellite dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

It is the other way round.

http://balls.ie/gaa/gaa-sky-tv-rights-package-announced/

Of the 31 games RTÉ will broadcast it is pretty much as you were in previous years. They will have rights to all six provincial finals, with BBC Northern Ireland also showing all Ulster championship matches RTÉ obtain the rights to.

That is the deal which the GAA did with RTE and BBC. If RTE chose not to show Donegal v Tyrone for instance then the BBC could not show it either.

Anyway even if the BBC had the rights how do you think their signal could get to the likes of Kerry and Galway? Not everyone has a satellite dish.
    +1

and the BBC/ RTE simulcast is due to the other 3 provinces having a humpy head that a number of years ago parallel ulster games shown on BBC were stealing their thunder and distracting from the likes of a Longford v Carlow clash of titans.

So now the end effect is that theres more Ulster games shown on RTE and theres less Longford v Carlow and the likes.

No loss anyhow, the number of games will probably be cut again in the next year or 2 as games on TV are reportedly affecting club attendances, as people will prefer sit home watch a decent double header rather than head to their local pairc.
    I wouldnt be surprised if theres only 1 game on a Sunday rather than 2 from the next contract, with sky or whoever showing a game on a Saturday evening.

+1

and the BBC/ RTE simulcast is due to the other 3 provinces having a humpy head that a number of years ago parallel ulster games shown on BBC were stealing their thunder and distracting from the likes of a Longford v Carlow clash of titans.

So now the end effect is that theres more Ulster games shown on RTE and theres less Longford v Carlow and the likes.

No loss anyhow, the number of games will probably be cut again in the next year or 2 as games on TV are reportedly affecting club attendances, as people will prefer sit home watch a decent double header rather than head to their local pairc.
    I wouldnt be surprised if theres only 1 game on a Sunday rather than 2 from the next contract, with sky or whoever showing a game on a Saturday evening.

It would be a terrible idea if they further cut games.

The best advertising tool the GAA have for the 2 sports are live matches on TV.Live television almost always improves the popularity of sport and no way shold the GAA even think of cutting game if anythin they should be increasing them.

If live games are affecting club attendance then poerhaps county boards need to use their head and not schedule matches when live games are on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>

If live games are affecting club attendance then poerhaps county boards need to use their head and not schedule matches when live games are on TV.
    problem is, with the double header the way it is, you've live games from 2pm till 6pm, effectively blocking the entire Sunday afternoon.

And honestly, if youre spending all Sunday afternoon watching sport, are you going to go out to watch a game at 7pm, aside from the fact that on a sunday evening thats when many players are looking to return back to where they live on weekdays in the big smoke

a cunning solution would be to have one of the 3.30pm games delayed till 6, and then show it as live. Its what Setanta did abroad till GAA messed up everything with GAA Go.
    That way you would still have 2 games on a sunday, but theres a large window from 12 to 4 for club games to be played, and any important game doesnt go unshown.

Advertisement