Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanic working next door - please help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

If the place is a mess with old car parts, spilled oil, etc then I would contact the environment section of the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Anna323

thanks I hope the Council will do something...I truly do. If I could post you picture, trust me you would understand what I mean...

Does anyone know how long until the Council acts on the complaint? It was sent last week, at the beginning of the week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I wonder where he disposes of old oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid, etc........

oh in my garden and his - i have a neighbour who saw him do it - one of the trees died because of it ( well we think its because of it) as it was healthy up to 18 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Anna323 wrote: »
    thanks I hope the Council will do something...I truly do. If I could post you picture, trust me you would understand what I mean...

Does anyone know how long until the Council acts on the complaint? It was sent last week, at the beginning of the week.

Should only take a few days. Depends what section you sent it to. Best to send two separate complaints. One to the planning enforcement section about the unauthorised business operation and the other to the environment section about the mess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you other neighbours you can ask to make a complaint? That would speed up the response

i do but i havent approached anyone yet as i am looking to wait and see what happens. but one other neighbour who is on his other side build a big wall between them, as he kept running into his garden when working on cars, and the guy got pissed off - the wall is big and i dont blame him - looks like ill have to do the exact same thing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

oh in my garden and his - i have a neighbour who saw him do it - one of the trees died because of it ( well we think its because of it) as it was healthy up to 18 months ago

You can add the Environmental Protection Agency to your list of bodies to contact so...

I will take care of that tomorrow - at least now I have some hope. well you have given me some hope.

the initial complaint was sent to: Inspectorate Division, Environment, Business and Enterprise Department, Fingal County Council, Swords.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

the initial complaint was sent to: Inspectorate Division, Environment, Business and Enterprise Department, Fingal County Council, Swords.

Ring them tomorrow and chheck they got it and are the right dept to deal with it.

Fingal are decent enough to deal with

thanks I will follow up on it. the revenue is next.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭easygoing1982

are there reg plates on these cars. are they taxed. If not and are parked on a public roadway report to the council as abandoned cars if no plates and to the guards regarding the tax.

no tax, no insurance and no NCT.

I have pics of all the cars with the registration numbers which were sent onto the council with my complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

kippy wrote: »
    He is running a commercial garage from his house in the middle of an estate. On pure health and safety grounds this is not legal

Wrong. It is perfectly acceptable to operate a number of businesses from your home. While health and safety does come into it, it wouldn't be the biggest hurdle to overcome. There are many mechanics working from home who operate within all applicable laws including vat.

As it happens this guy seems not to have an actual 'location' of business as he works in his driveway so there would be issues alright. The EPA would have issue with oil/waste disposal but if you store waste oils etc correctly and bring them to your local dump for correct disposal then there isn't an issue. Also if he has a separate bin for industrial waste that gets collected separately then again this is not an issue but from what I'm seeing from the OP this is not the case.

oh not the case at all - if you see his front garden now you would understand what I mean. I just hope I can stop him from running a garage from a small, quite, not a lot of room to even turn a car street/location.

ahhh I hope something can be done - now am scared that there isnt a lot I can do and I will just have to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

oh not the case at all - if you see his front garden now you would understand what I mean.

Any pics?

yes on my iphone and i honestly dont want to divulge my location.

Wrong. It is perfectly acceptable to operate a number of businesses from your home. While health and safety does come into it, it wouldn't be the biggest hurdle to overcome. There are many mechanics working from home who operate within all applicable laws including vat.

As it happens this guy seems not to have an actual 'location' of business as he works in his driveway so there would be issues alright. The EPA would have issue with oil/waste disposal but if you store waste oils etc correctly and bring them to your local dump for correct disposal then there isn't an issue. Also if he has a separate bin for industrial waste that gets collected separately then again this is not an issue but from what I'm seeing from the OP this is not the case.
    Yeah my mechanic us like this, separate storage areas for hazardous waste and he's a dedicated work area behind his house

Different scenario here though

• Advertisement

completely - he works in the front garden, cars all over the place, car parts all over the place, wooden crates all over the place - and yes some ended in my garden which I removed yesterday, and now a bit of a car is all over my roses - he drove over them - and did I mention he just finished on a car about 20 mins ago - the revving up of the engines does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,595 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not wrong at all. Based on the facts presented here he is acting illegally on pure health and safety grounds. There is no doubt he would also be breaking any number of environmental laws, never mind the questions around insurance/tax/employment status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Is there a wall between your garden and his garden?

He sounds like a right £$%^& to drive over other peoples cherished plants.

Especially roses.

there is a row of roses and he just drove over one - but i want to tell him tomorrow to remove the car that is parked on my property also as I am brining someone in to put up a wall. I have no other choice.

there is a row of roses and he just drove over one - but i want to tell him tomorrow to remove the car that is parked on my property also as I am brining someone in to put up a wall. I have no other choice.

At least if you get the wall you can stop that

Do you live on your own op?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

kippy wrote: »
    Not wrong at all. Based on the facts presented here he is acting illegally on pure health and safety grounds. There is no doubt he would also be breaking any number of environmental laws, never mind the questions around insurance/tax/employment status.

No, Your initial statement was wrong. I agree with you that this guy seems to be breaking laws but with the right set up it is perfectly legal to operate a business from your house including a garage.

the house is mine but i rent a room out to a person.

No, Your initial statement was wrong. I agree with you that this guy seems to be breaking laws but with the right set up it is perfectly legal to operate a business from your house including a garage.

does this mean he can get planning permission and actually run this business from his front garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Stheno wrote: »
    I don't think there are rules/laws such as you are referring to that prevent him working from his house

Yes there is. He has to pay rates of he is running a business from house and he has to obey noise pollution laws.

Citizens advice can advise you too OP.

• Advertisement

the house is mine but i rent a room out to a person.

I wonder is some of his attitude down to you being female, going on your username? Ie he's just a right bully?

I'd be chatting to the other neighbours strength in numbers and all that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement