Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone here holiday alone?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It was more years ago than I'd care to admit when I was out there but Magaluf for all of it's Union Jacks was far more tolerable than the Up the Ra nonsense we came across on a night in Santa Ponza...

It was a real shame because I can remember walking about 5 miles down the beach from Magaluf and it was utterly beautiful: clean unspoiled beaches and a handful of rural cafés serving local food etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Sleepy wrote: »
    It was more years ago than I'd care to admit when I was out there but Magaluf for all of it's Union Jacks was far more tolerable than the Up the Ra nonsense we came across on a night in Santa Ponza...

It was a real shame because I can remember walking about 5 miles down the beach from Magaluf and it was utterly beautiful: clean unspoiled beaches and a handful of rural cafés serving local food etc.

Santa Ponsa was not great, but not worse than Magaluf (from what I saw),though it was a few years ago. But I agree, either way, once you get out of those place, Majorca was lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Doing it right now. Very introverted and pretty good by myself but you do need some level of social aspect, definitely seems to vary on the city how much. honestly, I'm not great at getting along with strangers but I find if I pick the right places to stay and am willing to engage in a brief bit of conversation with everyone, I'll hit it off with a few alright.

I personally avoid party hostels, if you're not looking to get blind drunk they all feel the same and everyone kind of seems to have the same goals, etc... HOWEVER, they might be an ideal entry point to solo travelling though if you're a bit concerned and/or drink more than I do, the people are usually open and friendly.

I think it definitely helps that I'm quite easily interested in people's lives if they're at all different to what I'm used to, usually have lots of questions and it seems to flatter people a fair bit.
    Absolutely sucks when you talk to a dorm buddy and immediately find out they're boring as hell though, can't just ignore them the whole time after that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The thing about traveling alone though, I'd generally only do it in cities. There's more to do, more people and you have more anonymity. I wouldn't go to places like Lanzarote or Mallorca alone. It just wouldn't feel right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I was in Vegas for 2 nights on my own as I waited on others to join from California, it was great, do what you want when you wanted and not having to fight over what to do that day if you stayed as a group.

Walking about during the day taking in the sights and then sitting down at a bar and just chatting to the bar maids at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I am going to travel on my own for the first time. Partner is going on a boys only golfing trip later in the year, so I decided I would do something myself. I am hoping to fly into Naples, get the train to Sorrento and base myself there. I can get to Pompeii, Positano and Capri etc. from there. Sounds idyllic with plenty to see and do.

BUT I am a bit nervous. Well excited but terrified I must be honest. Anyway, as a more ahem....mature in age person I decided on an hotel.

But having read some of your posts here, I would love the idea of a hostel (I would need my own room, I snore like hell and I wouldn't inflict that on anyone!) so would anyone be able to recommend a website for hostels that they have used, and found ok.

I suppose it would be OK to use a hostel when I am waaaaay past my twenties now. or would I feel awkward or anything?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

Thanks.

there's a really good hostel in a town called Portici - The Fabric hostel. Portici is a 15 min walk from Herculaneum, which is the other major site next to Pompeii in the area. Portici is also on the Circumvesuviana line which is basically the Dart there, so its handy to get to and handy to find other places from.

Sorrento doesn't really do hostels if I recall correctly but its an excellent day trip spot.

Herculaneum is actually better preserved than Pompeii as its much closer to Vesuvius, though Pompeii is much bigger. Portici and Herculaneum are basically wedged between the sea and the volcano.

Your plan is essentially a really good one though and seems pretty well researched. In terms of the islands, there is also Ischia and Procida. I haven't actually been to Capri - I went to Procida, which I think is the smallest of the islands. I took a boat from the harbour in the city to get there and you can take a variety of boats from there too. I believe you may be able to get a boat from Sorrento too but can't confirm and it may be more exspensive.

Just bear in mind to watch pickpockets and confidence tricksters in and around the centre of Napoli as they are pretty good at what they do. Take particular care around the station - it can be dangerous there at night.

There is a street in the centre of Napoli which is known locally as 'Pizza Street'. Napoli is referred to by many as the birthplace of Pizza.

Keep an eye out for Diego Maradona posters everywhere - he played for Napoli and is still revered. In Ireland we have JFK and Jesus on the wall, in Napoli they have Maradona and Jesus!

Anyway, It's a great place to visit and you'll have a brilliant time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 alanmreid

Any suggestions for a meditation retreat in Ireland that does not include yoga?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I pretty much always go on holiday alone. I tell friends where I'm going and if they want to come along, fine, but mostly they don't. I should learn to take a hint! :D
    I guess I could always join a group holiday like Contiki or GAdventures

It kind of depends where you go and what sort of personality you are. I'm quite introverted and shy, so a week long sun holiday on my own probably wouldn't have suited me. If you were backpacking, staying in hostels and doing a lot of activities you might be more likely to bump into people who are doing something similar.

A lot of the time I do join a group tour (have been with gecko adventures numerous times) and meet people that way. Last year I went a different way; the Germans would call it a star tour. I landed in a city and did day trips in and around the city and met quite a few people that way. Outside of that, I find a bar and wait for someone to talk to me!

There are holidays specifically marketed at single people too - a quick google will find them. Some are singles 'hoping to meet someone romantically' holidays, but most are people alone traveling together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

i have traveled a lot, but since my family ware sold i now travel alone sometimes. had some great times. check out holiday guru solo.ie.
    this year oi have been to Oman, UAE, France, Germany, Czech republic ,Austria Italy. uk. and now looking at middle east again . Hostelworld is a good app. and some fine hostels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

11wingnut wrote: »
    i have traveled a lot, but since my family ware sold i now travel alone sometimes. had some great times. check out holiday guru solo.ie.
    this year oi have been to Oman, UAE, France, Germany, Czech republic ,Austria Italy. uk. and now looking at middle east again . Hostelworld is a good app. and some fine hostels.

Why did you sell your family? Bit extreme if you just wanted a solo holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I went to Paris on my own once just to escape the rug rats. In seriousness, I had kids when I was young so rarely got to get any space to myself so when the youngest lad went off to college almost 2 years ago I decided to go explore Asia on my own (sorta! My sister and her boyfriend were with me for a little of it). Sri Lanka, India, Nepal, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia have all been hit alone and the amount of amazing new friends I have met has been astounding. 

I am in my mid 40s and relishing time on my own after years and years of having to please others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Yep, loads of times. Whats weird is when you get a certain kind of strange look from someone when you tell them you are going to, say, South Africa for 2 weeks alone. Now I don't know about anyone else but I couldn't think of a single person I could go there with for that long. A lot of people in their mid 30s are tied down and with contracts, jobs, kids, wife etc they could only commit to the odd night out so I wouldn't let that stop me. Holidaying alone is great, you are free to go where you want and you can meet some very interesting people.

The people who cant do anything alone are the ones I feel sorry for. If you cant enjoy your own company what good are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

no I am not a fan of solo holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

alanmreid wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a meditation retreat in Ireland that does not include yoga?

On the Island of Inishraher in Clew Bay, Mayo have meditation retreats, if you practice transcendental meditation.

Advertisement