Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuffed Animals / Cuddly Toys

Options
  • 10-05-2015 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

Doing a clear out of my daughter's room this weekend and have a load of stuffed animals to rehome.

Does anywhere take them?
    I've heard hospitals don't due to germs.
    Do charity shops?

Maybe it's worth trying to sell some of the dearer ones? e.g. Kermit

Any ideas welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wash them and donate them to charity.

Are there particular favourites that should be kept? One thing my sister did was explain to the children that they had lots of toys, but that some children have few or none. And got the children to donate them / choose the ones to go.

Hospitals don't take soft toys due to hygiene reasons. Not a good thing to have food / saliva / vomit / blood / poo-covered toys shared amongst sick / immuno-compromised children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Victor wrote: »
    Wash them and donate them to charity.

Are there particular favourites that should be kept? One thing my sister did was explain to the children that they had lots of toys, but that some children have few or none. And got the children to donate them / choose the ones to go.

Hospitals don't take soft toys due to hygiene reasons. Not a good thing to have food / saliva / vomit / blood / poo-covered toys shared amongst sick / immuno-compromised children.

Thanks.
    Daughter happy enough to say bye to these ones.
    She kept the favorites.
    Do charity shops take them if washed though?
    Anyone know from experience?
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oh gosh which ones take them?

I've tried the SVP, women's refuge and hospitals around here and none of them take soft toys.

pwurple wrote: »
    Oh gosh which ones take them?

I've tried the SVP, women's refuge and hospitals around here and none of them take soft toys.

Agreed - tried SvP this morning & they don't take them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

How about holding on to them until there is a local school/Christmas fair. They usually sell stuffed animals at those things so imagine they would be happy to get donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I am not sure where you could get rid of them but I did see on facebook where someone took old stuff toys and stuff them into the outer cover of a bean bag to make a seat for their kids bedroom.

theLuggage wrote: »
    How about holding on to them until there is a local school/Christmas fair. They usually sell stuffed animals at those things so imagine they would be happy to get donations.

Thanks - there is a Summer fair coming up.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Our local St vDeP shops takes them so I presumed they all did.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Our local St vDeP shops takes them so I presumed they all did.

Oh cool - might depend on who is on on the day & what stock they already have

Will try another one maybe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Maybe try a local Freecycle Facebook page?

I can send a link to a Dublin one if anyone wants, just send me a PM. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Animal shelters would generally be delighted to take these - for cats to snuggle up to.

Advertisement