Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Holiday

Options
  • 10-05-2015 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

I'm looking to back to full time study for a year and was hoping to get a mortgage holiday from BOI. Well, when I say hoping, the entire plane hinges on me getting a mortgage holiday!! Anyone any experience with this and even if they grant it will they try to take away my tracker?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Would you be in a position to make 12 advance payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 craicfox

Fraid not, if only!!
    I did switch about 6 years ago to paying every two weeks, so ive been making 13 payments per year for the last 6 years. Do these count as advance payments??

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

TBH I'd say you've got 2 chances of this getting the go ahead; slim and none. Some BOI mortgage packages from back in the day included an option to take a 3 month payment holiday, but not 12 months. There's no way they'll just allow you to stop paying it for a year, sure with the amount of interest that'll accrue in a year, plus the fact that the capital sum isn't being paid off, you could be looking at a jump in repayments of several hundred per month (depending on what your repayments currently are, and how much/how long is left on your mortgage).

I looked for a moratorium last year because my husband had lost his job and I was on long term sick leave. We were literally living on my illness benefit of €188 per week, and even then they wouldn't let us take a payment break - the best they could do was interest only. If you were in financial difficulty then they may give you reduced repayments or interest only, but I really can't see them letting you do that if you're having no problem paying the mortgage now, and want to go back to college.

Advertisement