Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you study

• 10-05-2015 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

For example for business studies or geography leaving cert qs our teachers have sample answers for us I understand everything but I won't be able to remember it unless I learn it off by heart which involves me writing it out and saying it aloud over and over again what is an effective way of studying long essay style questions?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Moved from Study Logs subforum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

No easy way to study unless you have a photographic memory.
    Understanding a concept first definitely makes it easier to study.
    If writing it out is how you learn answers then keep doing it.

If you look at the psychology behind learning it actually shows that multiple self generated links are the best. That is that you make your own retrieval cues and link one piece of information with another rather than links and cues given to you by someone else. Even if this means making your own from the sample answers they give you.

In behavioral science there is a technique called chunking.. What you want to do is learn specific facts as a cohesive whole. So basically learn all the facts for an essay together as a unit. The idea is that if you retrieve one piece of information you should retrieve the rest.

Also repetition is very important for transferring information into long term memory. Elaborate rehearsal is the best for studying. Once again , every time you see two pieces of information you can relate link them! Also revise the essays every time you get a chance. Learning adopts the " use it or lose it principle".

Remember also that your recall is limited! You have to transer the information from your short term memory to your long term memory. Your short term memory has a capacity. So take breaks in between study. Make sure they are active breaks too. Don't try and learn too much at once. Make a time table for your study and spread it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

make my own notes
    learn them
    do the exam questions

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Kaitlyn2424

Thank you this was very helpful to me
    EoghanIRL wrote: »
    No easy way to study unless you have a photographic memory.
    Understanding a concept first definitely makes it easier to study.
    If writing it out is how you learn answers then keep doing it.

If you look at the psychology behind learning it actually shows that multiple self generated links are the best. That is that you make your own retrieval cues and link one piece of information with another rather than links and cues given to you by someone else. Even if this means making your own from the sample answers they give you.

In behavioral science there is a technique called chunking.. What you want to do is learn specific facts as a cohesive whole. So basically learn all the facts for an essay together as a unit. The idea is that if you retrieve one piece of information you should retrieve the rest.

Also repetition is very important for transferring information into long term memory. Elaborate rehearsal is the best for studying. Once again , every time you see two pieces of information you can relate link them! Also revise the essays every time you get a chance. Learning adopts the " use it or lose it principle".

Remember also that your recall is limited! You have to transer the information from your short term memory to your long term memory. Your short term memory has a capacity. So take breaks in between study. Make sure they are active breaks too. Don't try and learn too much at once. Make a time table for your study and spread it out.

Advertisement