Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herberton Walk, Dublin 8

Options
  • 10-05-2015 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Been looking to rent in this area for a few weeks now, and wondered if it would be safe? Obviously having your wits about you etc is to be expected, but would it be a dangerous area?
    I don't know much about Herberton/Rialto/St James's area and wondered if someone would be able to help and give advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

No it wouldn't be dangerous, and yes you would keep your wits about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

+1 to the above. Tbh you have to keep your wits about you everywhere too.

St. Anthony's road is...awful. Compared to what it used to be, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

never knew st anthonys road to be anything less than awful in the 20 years Ive known the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Lived close enough to Anthony's Road (years ago to be fair) and the area was a bit chronic for burglaries and junkies back then . For all that, I liked it. Seems to have had a big influx of house buyers since then.

A friend bought a house near there recently and he likes the area.

As said, like with any such socially-mixed inner city area, just keep your wits about you and you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

Thanks for all the replies. We don't go out out so wandering around late night and early am's won't be an issue.

Apartment is alarmed and is really beautiful and after 12 years of living in older type "alright" apartments, would be great to live in a bright modern apartment. The alarm os a good piece of mind.

But I'm the type that likes to go for a ramble after dinner and wander round the place (walking) and I don't think the area is suitable for be to do that!

Really not sure what to do. It seems to be a like it or love it place. With the Luas only 2 mins walk from front door, and into town so quickly, it's hard to know what to do.

Appreciate the responses though.

It IS a decent place to go for a walk in the evening, especially in the summer time. Less than 10 minutes to the canal and you're away in a hack.

And that's a cul de sac, so you've no through traffic. And the Back of the Pipes garden with the biodome adjacent aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

cute_cow wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. We don't go out out so wandering around late night and early am's won't be an issue.

Apartment is alarmed and is really beautiful and after 12 years of living in older type "alright" apartments, would be great to live in a bright modern apartment. The alarm os a good piece of mind.

But I'm the type that likes to go for a ramble after dinner and wander round the place (walking) and I don't think the area is suitable for be to do that!

Really not sure what to do. It seems to be a like it or love it place. With the Luas only 2 mins walk from front door, and into town so quickly, it's hard to know what to do.

Appreciate the responses though.
    Ah, you'd be grand going for an after-dinner walk. I live not too far away from there and I'd often take the dog out at 8/9/10 at night depending on my mood and the weather. The canal is a lovely spot for a stroll.

Don't wander around waving your new iphone and wads of cash and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

OP are you from dublin? or somewhere city-like? Have you been around there for a look?
    It's not a pretty area, plenty of rough characters around. Mind you you're likely to be safe enough, but I'd rather not have to see toe rags day-in day-out even if they don't hassle me.

It's one of those places where people give you the hairy eyeball as if to say "you're not from around here, are you"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's one of those places where people give you the hairy eyeball as if to say "you're not from around here, are you"

They don't really, to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A lot of people living around Herberton & Dublin 8 aren't originally around there. I don't recall any hair eyeballing when I was there (for 3ish years). When I also walked around loads, you're not confined to your apartment or anything. People are out and about and active all the time. It's a super handy place to live.

never knew st anthonys road to be anything less than awful in the 20 years Ive known the area

I know it far more than 20 years and it was quite alright at one stage, believe it or not! I don't go up it or down it much at all these days (well not the old part)...normally I'd cut through Reuben Street. But it depends on where you're going to or from I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

I can only give you my experience of the area, as I live a couple of streets over and regularly drive through Herberton/St Anthony's Road area.

The general feel of St. Anthony's Road is one of the worst I've experienced in the city. Not that I've seen anything directly malicious but very rough characters/junkies always hanging around there. There is a row of really nice red brick houses at the top of the road, which are 70% (estimate) unoccupied - which tells its own story I think.
    Living in the area, I've never had any real trouble apart from kids and the car being damaged a couple of times. We get a blow in of kids causing damage now and again. My neighbour (old Dublin woman) seems to think they're from the old Fatima Mansions (Herberton), but I wouldn't really know.

If you're moving into the apartment and have secure parking etc, you won't have much trouble, but if you like to get out and about it's probably not the best area.

It's strange that in Dublin a couple of streets make such a huge difference, I'd probably live on Reuben Street but not Anthony's Road/Herberton.

That's only my thoughts and obviously people have opposing views, but given the chance to live in the bright shiny apartment there or an "alright" apartment somewhere else - I'd most definitely pick the somewhere else.

Advertisement