Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AV amp and good speakers

Options
  • 10-05-2015 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm not an audio geek, so I'm looking for advice. I want to upgrade my audio for my tv and for music. I have narrowed down my search for the amps and it's between the Yamaha RX-V4377 and Sony SDR-DH750. I'm in two minds about whether I need or want 5.1 surround sound. I'm sure it's great when watching movies, but the amount of wires might drive me nuts! I'm sure given time, I could hide the wires pretty well around the skirting boards. Most of the speakers that I've looked at that are in my budget are quite small satellite speakers that often come as part of a home cinema kit. How good can these speakers be given their size? The alternative which I'm also drawn to would be a decent set of bookshelf speakers, such as the Q Acoustics 2010. People only have good things to say about these speakers. Advice would be appreciated as I'm circling around the web and still no closer to a solution!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

kknikon wrote: »
    I'm not an audio geek, so I'm looking for advice. I want to upgrade my audio for my tv and for music. I have narrowed down my search for the amps and it's between the Yamaha RX-V4377 and Sony SDR-DH750. I'm in two minds about whether I need or want 5.1 surround sound. I'm sure it's great when watching movies, but the amount of wires might drive me nuts! I'm sure given time, I could hide the wires pretty well around the skirting boards. Most of the speakers that I've looked at that are in my budget are quite small satellite speakers that often come as part of a home cinema kit. How good can these speakers be given their size? The alternative which I'm also drawn to would be a decent set of bookshelf speakers, such as the Q Acoustics 2010. People only have good things to say about these speakers. Advice would be appreciated as I'm circling around the web and still no closer to a solution!

Two words on AV followed by Sony or Onkyo = poor audio /faulty hdmi.
    The 2000 av home cinema pack is a stunning 5.1 home cinema system. I could not fault it given the price and tonal quality.
    The 400 series is drastically under cutting the Peek performance of the Qa just imo

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kknikon

So you're saying the Yamaha is a better solution? What is the 2000 AV home cinema pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

kknikon wrote: »
    So you're saying the Yamaha is a better solution? What is the 2000 AV home cinema pack?

Q Acoustics 2000 set (LINK),the 2010's x 2 a center & sub .Its officially discontinued and replaced by the 3000 set (much better series) however you might pick it up cheaper because of that.

The RX-V4** or the 400 series is a underwhelming amp for the QA's. I would be looking for the RX-V577/677 instead. A better amp will always enable you to buy better speakers.

>Sol

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

1st of all declared interest - I sell Q Acoustics!

The 2000 series hasn't officially been discontinued ( yet)

The 3000 series are at a higher price point and Q Acoustics will carry on with the 2000 series this year - however they may reduce some of the available finishes as the year progresses.

As Sol says the 2000 series are really excellent and especially at the crazy Euro pricing kicking around at the moment they are well worth looking into.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kknikon

Thanks John for your input with my query. I'm leaning more and more towards two decent speakers as the main speakers such as the Q Acoustics and filling in the surround with smaller satellites. I was originally thinking about a Tannoy 5.1 set. Would I need a subwoofer if I went with just the QA's?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Declared interest again - I'm in the Hi-fi Biz!

The Tannoy Sfx are great value at just €249 for the complete 5.1 kit including the active subwoofer ( The TFX 5.1 however is well worth the extra €10 at just €259) - of course as these are full 5.1 systems you are set up and ready to go straight away and the whole system is acoustically matched so you don't have to worry about what speakers to partner with what.....

...However without ANY doubt the QA 2010i's will sound far better for stereo than the SFX system ever could! and if you were to grab a decent pair of fronts such as the 2010i / Monitor Audio BX2 or even the Cambridge Audio SX50 you will really enhance your music listening - on the sub issue, you can tell the RXV477 ( I really like that amp BTW and I think its cracking value at around €330) that there is no sub in the system - however AV receivers and most AV soundtracks do have a separate sub soundtrack and if you want to optimise your playback especially for movies then you should add an active sub over time - again for stereo its not so important (esp if you have decent front speakers)

Hope the system goes well!

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Advertisement