Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy acne

Options
  • 10-05-2015 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Does anybody else suffer from this? My gp says its all hormone related and it will clear after baby comes and hormones settle, but it's really bringing me down. I look like I have chicken pox on my neck and the skin on my back is so rough. No acne on my face and no cleanser or moisturiser I've bought works. Sorry for the rant but hoping somebody out there might have the miracle cure or suggestion ;-)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Try effaclar duI from la roche posay I get hormonal acne and it has helped greatly

• Registered Users Posts: 34 channelcarrie

I'm 6 months pregnant now and have been getting acne on and off. I tried lots of creams (found no difference) then tried squeezing fresh lemon each evening into glass and dabbing onto each spot. Every time I've had a breakout, this has reduced it much quicker (even within a day or 2) and its natural so reckon that can't be bad. Also ensure to keep the area moisturised too.
    It can be so frustrating getting acne - I thought I would be glowing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 clara98

Thanks for the replies girls. I have the effaclar duo already but will give it another try. Will purchase some lemons later and give that a try too, will have to get some spf too as lemons and the sun can have a negative affect .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Unfortunately I had terrible pregnancy acne around my mouth, nose, and in and behind ears. It was so bad and deep it hurt to move my mouth. Nothing I tried worked, but my skin completely cleared a week after having him! Still, not tons of pregnancy photos of me floating around!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

You could ask GP again if there's anything you can take in pregnancy. Just cos it's hormone related might not mean you can't take anything. I was prescribed something in late pregnancy for acne but I was told they would be more cautious in prescribing it in early pregnancy. Easy to say but be glad it's not in your face :( Mine took a while to go away after giving birth - a month or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 littlebean

I have pregnancy acne, it started when I was about 9 weeks. It's all over both cheeks and side of my face. It just appeared one day and has been ever since....I'm 23 weeks now. It has got better but since it's hormonal there isn't much that has made a huge difference. I switched to a few Clinique products like a moisturiser for very dry skin which made the biggest difference.

Hope you find some relief or something that works for you !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

As soon as i found out i was pregnant my tummy and my back broke out really bad and still remains like that.

Got a deep sore one at the side of my eye which is still there giving me awful headaches

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

I can certainly vouch for la roche posay effaclar foaming cleanser and effaclar duo cream.
    They're pricey but certainly worth it, a little goes a long way. Plus the foaming cleanser is a large bottle so ideal for use on your back and chest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 clara98

Thanks for all the replies girls. The last week I've been washing my face and neck with a drop of tea tree oil and then applying the effaclar duo after it and moisturising. No miracle cure but things definitely seem to have calmed down. I've less than 8 weeks left until due date but plan on breast feeding and I've read that hormones can stay a bit all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

clara98 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies girls. The last week I've been washing my face and neck with a drop of tea tree oil and then applying the effaclar duo after it and moisturising. No miracle cure but things definitely seem to have calmed down. I've less than 8 weeks left until due date but plan on breast feeding and I've read that hormones can stay a bit all over the place.

I am breastfeeding my 8 month old, found my face completely cleared shortly after birth but have cleavage spots!

• Advertisement
Advertisement