Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BHS STAGE 2 TIPS/EXPERIENCES

Options
  • 10-05-2015 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,

I'm doing my Stage 2 exams in under a month, agggh :S Has anyone got any tips or would like to share their experience? I'm terrified! What do I DEFINITELY need to know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

The riding is grand. On the flat you ride two horses in a group and they will tell you what they want you to do exercise wise. You will need to ride without stirrups and with reins in one hand.

Jumping - on the first horse its a very basic grid. As in trot in over a pole and pop a cross pole, then progress to same plus a stride to a small upright etc.

Once you pass that then you are allowed to ride the course (They let you walk it first). Course is about eight fences and you ride it on two horses. The heights are grand I wouldnt be brave jumping and I was fine with it.

For the stable management you definately need to know how to plait (nothing major just one or two plaits in the mane), how to strap (really old school but we had to do it), and how to apply travelling gear like boots, bandages and rugs. Also, how to load the horse with a focus on the safety aspect.

They will ask you basic anatomy of the horse aswell.

Also you might be asked how to clip a horse. You dont need to actually do it just know how to put blades on machine and how tight it should be and why you would clip. Its usually a standard type clippers they have. if in doubt just say you would apply blades and tighten to manufacturers instructions as all machines come with details and some are different

The theory is around grassland management, feed and health as far as I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tommy090

The riding is grand. On the flat you ride two horses in a group and they will tell you what they want you to do exercise wise. You will need to ride without stirrups and with reins in one hand.

Jumping - on the first horse its a very basic grid. As in trot in over a pole and pop a cross pole, then progress to same plus a stride to a small upright etc.

Once you pass that then you are allowed to ride the course (They let you walk it first). Course is about eight fences and you ride it on two horses. The heights are grand I wouldnt be brave jumping and I was fine with it.

For the stable management you definately need to know how to plait (nothing major just one or two plaits in the mane), how to strap (really old school but we had to do it), and how to apply travelling gear like boots, bandages and rugs. Also, how to load the horse with a focus on the safety aspect.

They will ask you basic anatomy of the horse aswell.

Also you might be asked how to clip a horse. You dont need to actually do it just know how to put blades on machine and how tight it should be and why you would clip. Its usually a standard type clippers they have. if in doubt just say you would apply blades and tighten to manufacturers instructions as all machines come with details and some are different

The theory is around grassland management, feed and health as far as I remember

Thank you! I'm so nervous :(

Advertisement