Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

veg..greenhouses/indooors/outdoors... what goes where?

Options
  • 11-05-2015 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

hi all

im on a veg growing kick this year and have a load of those cheapo soft plastic growhouses, (five of the "4 tier" ones and 2 growbag style ones) im doing containers only, so... will everything do better in these, or will certain plants be better out in the elements?

im growing a lot of chillis (indoors and out), asian leaves, (chinese cabbage and pak choi) spring onions, viking spinach (for baby leaves) tumbler tomatoes and cambridge strawberries, ill sow some rocket soon and some more salads

any advice welcome

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I'd leave the Chinese cabbage and pak choi outdoors as they will bolt (go to seed) if it gets to warm.
    I'd leave spinach outdoors as well.
    Chillis and tomatoes will do better outside although I did have a good crop of tomatoes outdoors last year.
    Spring onions I would do outside in the ground as they are hardy.

I prefer to grow as much outside as possible. Less watering to worry about. I have a cheap four tier greenhouse also and use it more in the early months to protect seedlings from frost, and for growing salad leaves in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

Hi livinsane

thats great, thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

'Chillis and tomatoes will do better outside...'

Should that be 'inside'? (Given how the rest of the sentence reads.)

I would have thought that a greenhouse would be better for these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I found it hard to ripen tomatoes outdoors - i had to cut them and bring them indoors - put them in a brown bag to ripen. I'd imagine tomatoes would do best indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

lk67 wrote: »
    'Chillis and tomatoes will do better outside...'

Should that be 'inside'? (Given how the rest of the sentence reads.)

I would have thought that a greenhouse would be better for these?

Should read inside! Sorry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement