Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neutered male attracting other dogs

• 11-05-2015 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

My male Labrador (18 months) was neutered 2 months ago. Since then, he attracts a lot of attention from other dogs. They would just constantly want to hump/ mount him and he REALLY doesn't like it.
    It gets to a point where one dog would constantly follow him trying to get on top nearly every time we go park/beach and he does his warning signs and barks but the other dogs just keep coming back. It never ended too badly (he slightly! bit a St bearnards ear once because this giant dog just wouldnt leave him alone)

Its just annoying for him he can't just play or do his own thing in the park/beach and I'm afraid something serious would happen.

Other than this particular behaviour nothing has changed after neutering.

Any advice???? Thank :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Might do no harm to get your vet to check him out, as if memory serves, there are some bacterial infections around the butt and anal glands that can mimic the smell of a bitch in heat. If that's what it is, it could be a coincidence that it happened around the time he was neutered, or it could be that his testosterone-y smells were masking the problem until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 chesterjake222

Hi DBB , thanks for the advice. We will definitely be bringing him back to the vet for a check over. I never knew about them particular bacterial infections.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shaymus27

Bring a stick with you and gently push dogs away with it.

Maybe bring a water pistol to shoot water at these dogs.

If you think a dog is approaching to annoy your dog in this way try cut him off before he gets too near.

Might sound mad but it might also prevent fights if your dog gets annoyed by this unwanted attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bailey doesn't like other dogs trying to hump him and with age he's learned to tell them to FO - it never goes any further than a few growls and if they ignore that one bark from him. I ALWAYS make a point of telling other owners that he doesn't like it and he'll snap at their dogs if they don't control them. He's very good at making vicious faces so the owners usually take notice if their little darling doesn't. :p

On the flip side of this... If there's a dog being an ar$e pushing other dogs around and especially pushing my female around (she's still a bit young that she doesn't stand up for herself yet) Bailey will try to step in and discipline the other dog humping/pushing them down. When this happens I explain nicely to the other owners that he's doing it because they're dog is being a pushy b@stard and pull Bailey away/leave if the dog continues to annoy Lucy.

Advertisement