Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I messed up college

Options
  • 11-05-2015 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm studying engineering and hate it I shoulder dropped out a month in but I said I'd keep going and would probably like it now I'm failing everything and I'm embarrassed about it.
    I really went into this without thinking but I've done research and want to study psychology because I like it.
    Will it cost me 10000 because I lost my tuition grant?
    Is there a way I can get it back as engineering is a 4 year course and psychology is a three year course plus engineering is level 7 and psychology is level 8 would that help my case?
    Also would I have to pay full fees each year or would I get my tuition fees paid for after 1st year in psychology?
    In your opinion is psychology a good degree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You haven't messed up college. You're not the first to be in this position, and you won't be the last. Talk to your student welfare officer. They'd be well placed to advise you. And calm down!

Welcome to boards, by the way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

You'll have to pay tuition fees next year, and maybe the registration fee. That's nearly €6,000 I think.

Don't let that get you down though. If your parents can help you out then great, if they can't then you can try taking out a loan. I failed first year in college 4 times in a row, believe it or not. Now I'm in my final year, studying a course I love, and on the cusp of (hopefully) coming out with a first class honours degree.

So don't go thinking you've messed it up, you haven't. Talk with your welfare officer, talk with your parents.

As far as psychology goes, I studied it in first year this time around and loved three-quarters of it. It's amazingly interesting. Only thing is, a large part of it is statistics and I am terrible at maths. If you can handle maths and a lot of hard work, you'll like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I'm studying engineering and hate it I shoulder dropped out a month in but I said I'd keep going and would probably like it now I'm failing everything and I'm embarrassed about it.
    I really went into this without thinking but I've done research and want to study psychology because I like it.
    Will it cost me 10000 because I lost my tuition grant?
    Is there a way I can get it back as engineering is a 4 year course and psychology is a three year course plus engineering is level 7 and psychology is level 8 would that help my case?
    Also would I have to pay full fees each year or would I get my tuition fees paid for after 1st year in psychology?
    In your opinion is psychology a good degree?

You have a much better chance of a career out of your current course than choosing Psychology as much as you may want to study it. Working won't be the same as college so I would advise sticking it out. It might not be easy but 6,000 is a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 marleyjay14

thanks lads I don't think im eligible though as I don't have a thrd language on my leaving cert do you know of any summer courses which could act as the equivalent of a leaving cert language

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You were told to take this to the College forum, and you were even provided with a link to take you there.

It's never good idea on any internet forum to ignore a Moderator's directions.

Thread closed.

-Shield.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement