Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethiopia

• 11-05-2015 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

HI Every-one,

Ethiopian Airlines recently launched a direct flight from Addis Ababa to New York. With a stopover in Dublin. And somewhere along the line, some-one agreed that both legs of the trip could be sold separately. So it's now possible to fly direct from Dublin to Addis for less than 400 Euro!

I REALLY WANNA GO!!

I'm a 32 year old environmental scientist with a passion for African travel. I've wanted to go to Ethiopia for a few years now (It's the next honeymoon destination for adventure travelors... really? You hadn't heard? How strange...). I'd like to go later this year if possible for about 10-14 days. Other than that, I don't really have a plan at this stage, but I wanted to check if there are any like-minded people out there who might be interested in joining/coming. If you might be interested, drop me a message and maybe we can make it happen. i don't mind solo-travel but it's always nice(er?) to go in a group :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

Go - it is absolutely brilliant. It is also what I'd call "easy Africa" - a stable country with good roads and functioning local airports, very low corruption (so no bribery worries) and very friendly people. Also - from Addis northwards, low malaria risk.

I'd recommend seeing the Simien mountains and Lake Tana. Also - if you are into history then Axum (and the surrounds).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I'm stoked about going some time, too. I spent a good amount of time in the other 'easy Africa' - southern Africa. But the richness of history and culture of Ethiopia, not to mention the rift valley makes me really want to go. Unfortunately, all the people I knew living in Addis aren't there anymore. The only other place topping it on my to-do list is Iran, but Ethiopia would be an easier trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

HI Every-one,

Ethiopian Airlines recently launched a direct flight from Addis Ababa to New York. With a stopover in Dublin. And somewhere along the line, some-one agreed that both legs of the trip could be sold separately. So it's now possible to fly direct from Dublin to Addis for less than 400 Euro!

I REALLY WANNA GO!!

I'm a 32 year old environmental scientist with a passion for African travel. I've wanted to go to Ethiopia for a few years now (It's the next honeymoon destination for adventure travelors... really? You hadn't heard? How strange...). I'd like to go later this year if possible for about 10-14 days. Other than that, I don't really have a plan at this stage, but I wanted to check if there are any like-minded people out there who might be interested in joining/coming. If you might be interested, drop me a message and maybe we can make it happen. i don't mind solo-travel but it's always nice(er?) to go in a group :)

LA not New York

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

dunno about the good roads :)
    although they were wiping out a good few communities building them last time i was there.
    Id love to go back , ive travelled a good bit of africa and spent several months there , was one of my favourite countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

sarkozy wrote: »
    I'm stoked about going some time, too. I spent a good amount of time in the other 'easy Africa' - southern Africa. But the richness of history and culture of Ethiopia, not to mention the rift valley makes me really want to go. Unfortunately, all the people I knew living in Addis aren't there anymore. The only other place topping it on my to-do list is Iran, but Ethiopia would be an easier trip.
    Ethiopia over Iran for me slightly. I have been to both recent enough.

Ethiopia is not easy to get round by road but cheap flights are the way to zip about

Lalibella is a must see too. I didnt like Axum to be honest. Gondar is savage too. It is the gateway to the Simiens

Harar to feed the hyena and sample the local khat;). Very colourful town and culturally very different as Muslim.

Addis is party town....it is non stop

• Advertisement

Yeah forgot about the Khat , more potent than any synthetic I've ever tried!
    Well worth a day in a Sheesa house , chill and relax all day and then out to drink and party all night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Relax on khat, you must have been on some crazy **** with it. I was wired!

Yeah was wild! Apparently very high quality but im sure they all say that.
    Sat in some sort of room smoking sheesa all day and chewing the stuff , was relaxing and i was happy enough thinking to myself these auld twigs would only be a mild one.
    Wild thirst on me and glad to get out of there and into the "pub"
    then it hit me :)
    About 10am the next day i felt that i was coming down and was wiped from the drink , lay on the bed and felt the alcohol numbness leaving me and ZING , wide awake again after an hour or two :)
    Tried it a few times since and never hit me as hard but i think i gave it much more respect :)
    SWIM has taken loads of uppers, cocaine , speed etc and when i explained the effects, SWIM said it was much more potent that any of them (in a subtle kind of way)!

Advertisement