Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lights and Bell

• 11-05-2015 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

One of my kids picked up the cycle safety booklet from our local Garda station. Page 3 states;
    “It’s the law to have a bell on your bike at all times and to have workinglights.”

Is this correct and should we all have lights on the bike during the day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

You only need lights after dark -- and a red rear reflector.

You do officially need a bell (except on a bike "adapted for racing" or something like that), but I've never heard of that being enforced, so I treat it as a "dead letter" law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

there's an exemption, can't remember the exact words, something like "unless modified for racing".
    lights only needed during lighting up time as defined by road traffic acts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Bell not required of modified for racing. Lights after dark are a legal requirement.

I use Exposure strobes back and front during the day depending on conditions (low sun, shadows etc).

Edit - here's another solution to a bell

http://inhabitat.com/trotify-makes-your-bike-sound-like-a-galloping-horse/

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

In France last year every Dutch cyclist that I came across had a bell on there bike, every one of them! .. Pinarello Road bike with Di2 or Campag EPS, Carbon Wheels, Carbon Handlebars and a tiny black (I assume carbon) bell attached.

Very law abiding those Dutch cyclists!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Yeah, love that "carbon" ringing sound when it is hit by the clapper :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Isn't the exemption for the bell only for races?

So all bikes need a bell unless you are in an official race of some sort?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Isn't the exemption for the bell only for races?

So all bikes need a bell unless you are in an official race of some sort?

According to the legislation (S.I. No. 190/1963 - Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) Regulations, 1963), the requirement is :

"93. (1) Every pedal cycle (other than a cycle constructed or adapted for use as a racing cycle) while used in a public place shall be fitted with an audible warning device consisting of a bell capable of being heard at a reasonable distance, and no other type of audible warning instrument shall be fitted to a pedal cycle while used in a public place."

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    According to the legislation (S.I. No. 190/1963 - Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) Regulations, 1963), the requirement is :

"93. (1) Every pedal cycle (other than a cycle constructed or adapted for use as a racing cycle) while used in a public place shall be fitted with an audible warning device consisting of a bell capable of being heard at a reasonable distance, and no other type of audible warning instrument shall be fitted to a pedal cycle while used in a public place."

So that makes the AirZound things illegal?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's all covered in the Irish Cycling legislation thread

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement