Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naval EU Mission to mediterranean - The great migrant disaster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Irish Times reporting LÉ Eithne will return home at the end of July to be replaced by LÉ Niamh.

I would have thought that will drop carrying capacity substantially? LÉ Sam not better for the job? Or is she suffering the Appledore gremlins?

In any case, crew of Eithne deserve a big reception for working to the highest standards for the longest hours in stifling conditions, a remarkable performance.

The crew deserve lots of time off when they come back.

From what ive heard theres been a lot of behind the scenes work with the Le Niamh in getting the ship ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The Mediterranean migrant crisis is a whole lot worse for the societies in North Africa and Syria what with a brain drain of talented people heading to Europe and traumatising the lives of the peoples being trafficked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    The Mediterranean migrant crisis is a whole lot worse for the societies in North Africa and Syria what with a brain drain of talented people heading to Europe and traumatising the lives of the peoples being trafficked.

Probably true, but this is the Military forum, discussing the Naval Service deployments in response.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Markcheese

KingBrian2 wrote: »

Aren't most ( not all ) of the migrants from west Africa ? And non Arab Africans ? Open to correction on this- and it's still a brain drain on those countries involved.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Interesting to note that the Norwegians put the job out to tender and got a commercial ship in to represent them in the region. They don't have a small navy (about 70 vessels) and did a stint in the Indian Ocean with a brand new frigate. But for this job, it was considered cheaper to subcontract it.

The Siem Pilot got the job and has a six month contract. She has done a 600 ppl rescue already.

SIEM_PILOT_78903.570x1140.jpg

norway-ships.jpg

2015-07-01T051359Z_1_LYNXNPEB601GQ_RTROPTP_2_EUROPE-MIGRANTS-ITALY.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Probably true, but this is the Military forum, discussing the Naval Service deployments in response.

[Mod]This. Unless somehow it's relevant to the Naval response[/Mod]

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Boreas

Will the current mission in the Med be a regular deployment over the next few years and if so will the upcoming white paper take this into account when considering the acquisition of new ships for the NS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭sparky42

Boreas wrote: »
    Will the current mission in the Med be a regular deployment over the next few years and if so will the upcoming white paper take this into account when considering the acquisition of new ships for the NS?

I'dd say that's implicit in the "frigate" with helicopter capability that's mentioned. And yeah either Med operations (cause unless the EU comes up with something that works they are going to keep coming), or Piracy patrols I'd bet.

With Mellet being CoS and Eithne and Niamh proving themselves hopefully the Navy will get more international deployments.

It would appear Eithne and Niamh are on course to rendezvous somewhere east of Gibraltar, maybe tonight. Niamh entering the western approach to the Straits doing 20kts, Eithne doing 6kts well to the east of the Rock.

Would this be a first, that more than one Irish ship in such a remote location at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭zone 1

sparky42 wrote: »
    I'dd say that's implicit in the "frigate" with helicopter capability that's mentioned. And yeah either Med operations (cause unless the EU comes up with something that works they are going to keep coming), or Piracy patrols I'd bet.

With Mellet being CoS and Eithne and Niamh proving themselves hopefully the Navy will get more international deployments.

id say the navy have done its bit . back to checking fishing stocks on trawlers when the niamh returns from her trip away. were would they fine piracy partols there nothing happing anywhere of intreast.

• Advertisement

I cant link from the mobile site but the NS facebook page has a nice photo set of Eithne and Niamh exchanging ceremonial on calm seas north of the Straits of Gibraltar eastern approach lanes at 3pm Irish time. This is the first time two Irish vessels have carried out this ancient tradition in foreign waters.

They steamed together for about 30 mins before resuming course to home base and the eastern Med respectively.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Tabnabs wrote: »

I think working dress uniforms are being looked at for the NS at the moment, even extending to Blue Grey versions of the DF DPM.

Current uniform is a bit dated, however its not all that dissimilar to the RN working dress that was recently replaced.

What struck me was how heavy and unsuited it was to the Med.

What struck me was how heavy and unsuited it was to the Med.

Exactly, white shirt and white shorts are much more comfortable for the heat. Makes sense to add to the wardrobe if they're going to be operating in the Med, or even further south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

For what could be basiclly a once/twice off situtation would'nt that be a bit costly, unless the uniforms can be bought off the peg.

I see from this the plan was that Niamh would stay out there for the rest of the deployment, but based on Eithne's experience, she's now going to have about 2 months and then be replaced, with Roisin being floated as the other ship.

Also see that the mental health of the crew is being looked after which should be a good improvement...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/l-eithne-crew-to-get-counselling-for-horrors-of-mission-31368661.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

ectoraige wrote: »
    Hopefully the crew all stay safe and are well supported, large scale recovery operations can be very traumatic.
    sparky42 wrote: »
    Also see that the mental health of the crew is being looked after which should be a good improvement...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/l-eithne-crew-to-get-counselling-for-horrors-of-mission-31368661.html

Very glad to read that.

Its a pity they didnt get the tax free money they deserve.

The Army get it from overseas missions but they Navy lads get taxed to the hilt .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Bravo Zulu to the medics who delivered a baby onboard Le Niamh.

• Advertisement

Confirmed today that Beckett will be replacing Niamh and remain on station till the end of November.

Sam is leaving Cork tomorrow for the Med.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

mikeym wrote: »
    Sam is leaving Cork tomorrow for the Med.

Particularly appropriate as not only was Samuel Beckett a soldier of sorts, with the French Resistance (for which he was awarded the Croix de Guerre and the Médaille de la Résistance), but very aptly in relation to this mission, he did humanitarian work at the Irish Red Cross hospital in Saint Lô, Normandy from August 1945 to January 1946.

Saint Lô was devastated in the battle of Normandy - Beckett wrote a radio report for Radio Éireann in 1946 on the town which he entitled "The Capital of the Ruins".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Capital_of_the_Ruins

Some nice photos on the NS Facebook page of the dawn rendez-vous of Niamh and Sam in the western Med.

I do love Sams Fighting Yoda mascot!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

"Augusta-Bell 139".

?

It took me a couple of minutes before I realized that this article was at least a year old. Sister ships Aoife and Roisin!!!! I suppose this makes every one who has a drone stars wars capable. I'd have expected better from Ralph Riegel, still if it fills copy and the editor is happy with it, why not. Sure it's only the public that read it and what do they know.:(

Thankfully the NS doesn't allow this sort of carry on

The footage recorded on November 12 shows a crewman on a Greek-marked coast guard ship jabbing a sharp pole into an inflatable boat full of people.

The 58 passengers on board the raft start to scream with fear while the vessel sinks – and the Greek ship sails away. A Turkish boat later arrives and pulls the refugees out of the water. They were then taken to the Turkish port city of Didim.

The video was released by the Turkish government. An official said they had showed it to the head of the Hellenic coast guard earlier in the week, and had asked them to stop.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/news/4788-Exclusive-Video-Greek-coast-guard-allegedly-tries-to-sink-migrant-boat

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »

****ing Hell, what kind of "Coastguard" is this?

Advertisement