Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant selection for shady small raised bed

Options
  • 11-05-2015 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was hoping to get some feedback on plant selection for a shady raised bed measuring 2metres x 1metre that I have in a small courtyard area.

I am working off the suggestions from a book that I have found quite good, however as you can see on the image below, there is no idea of scale of the example he has in the book. The more I research images of the plants, I am wondering will my raised bed be too small an area for these?

19B15F5F313D4D67B2B61FB11774AEDE-0000327166-0003759447-00640L-A9274466B4B44203B43916B7BB0006BD.jpg

If you have any other thoughts on plant selection then I would be grateful. I have little experience when it comes to this part of gardening so its a paint by numbers job really, jumping 2 feet in.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

There are a few shrubs mentioned in that list, don't bother with them the area is too small. Go with perennials and you can fit 5 to 9 per square meter depending on how quickly you want coverage. Id go for perennials with good foliage to see you throughout the year.
    Epimedium Rubrum
    Luzula Nivea
    Ferns like Cyrtomium fortunei
    Helebores are good, evergreen foliage and long flowering
    Pulmonaria Diana Claire
    Small hostas maybe depending on moisture and slugs
    Asltilbes are good, seedheads after flowering but take space.
    Something along this line is good, you can pack spring bulbs in between them to keep interest.

Depends really on how shady it is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Thanks very much for feedback, I'll start looking into those suggestions.
    The area is literally all shade, maybe an hour in the morning in summer, I'm not sure yet.

I assume that reading up on heights of plants will determine where I place them - large to the back etc?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I have an Acer growing happily for the past 10 years in a very shady spot. I think is Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum'. Its got Yellow leaves which looks very nice in the shade. Its about 6ft tall now but it takes been pruned to size very well - Maybe its too big for you but I have it in a small bed.

Also I'd recommend cyclamen for some Autumn/Winter colour at the front of the border.

Advertisement