Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annual boosters?

• 11-05-2015 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi there folks

I have 2 dogs who are due their annual boosters in the near future. They are both 15 months old.
    I have read conflicting advice online, some for and some against annual boosters and I'm just looking for some opinions of real people who have and haven't done annual boosters.

FWIW I have pet insurance with AXA and as far as I am aware from my policy documents, if my dogs contract an illness that could've been prevented by the administration of annual boosters, they won't be covered. How likely are the dogs to contract something that could be prevented by the boosters?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:) I was going to start a thread about the same thing!!

My older boy is 6 this year and has always got his vaccinations. He's due the "core" ones again this year but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get titres done because he'll be getting bloods in a few weeks anyways so an extra tube won't hurt him :p That just leaves lepto and kennel cough - my vet told me last year that she recommended lepto for my two because they're always in water - some of it stagnant and dirty at times and that if it was her own dogs she'd vaccinate for it... I do trust her so not sure what to do about lepto.... That leaves KC and since they can get it anyways even with the booster so not sure what to do there either!!

My younger girl has had her puppy and 1 year boosters so would only be due lepto and KC - once I decide what to do with the other fella I can decide what to do about her lol!! You say yours are 15 months - have they had the 1 year booster? If not then it's recommended they get it by any source I'd trust - eg Jean Dodds

There's so much conflicting info though - some put out by extremely biased sources so I don't really trust them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Kennel cough vaccine waste of time. I had foster pup with kennel cough my unvaccinated guys (6 dogs!) didn't catch it in all the time they spent with him. My friends vaccinated dog got it after only spending short time with him! Vet admitted that not every strain of kc is covered by vaccine so what's point of it!

Lepto vaccine only lasts for less than a year anyway so when you wait year to boost your dog is going around for a few months unvaccinated. It also has some of the worst side effects when compared to other vaccines.

definitely do your own research. There is loads to read up on. I also think it's strange that vets still recommend yearly booster when the crowd who produce the vaccines say they last years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

The 2 dogs got their last puppy vaccinations in May of last year so it's their 1 year booster they're due.

I have 3 other dogs, all rescues and they haven't had any boosters or anything like that in the years I've had them and I've never had an issue with illnesses, in fact I've never even had to bring any of them to the vet. I suppose that's why I'm a bit hesitant.

nala2012 wrote: »
    I also think it's strange that vets still recommend yearly booster when the crowd who produce the vaccines say they last years.

The core ones are the ones that are supposed to last 3 years. There's a general misconception in the raw/natural camp that evil vets are pushing people to get every single vaccination every year when it's not the case with anyone I know. Lepto and KC (if applicable) but not the rest.

OP the rule of thumb would be to get the 1 year booster then after that you can decide what to do. Personally I'd take anything from dogsnaturally and any FB page that's sharing links from them with a large pinch of salt because they're just to biased imo

tk123 wrote: »
    The core ones are the ones that are supposed to last 3 years. There's a general misconception in the raw/natural camp that evil vets are pushing people to get every single vaccination every year when it's not the case with anyone I know. Lepto and KC (if applicable) but not the rest.

OP the rule of thumb would be to get the 1 year booster then after that you can decide what to do. Personally I'd take anything from dogsnaturally and any FB page that's sharing links from them with a large pinch of salt because they're just to biased imo

No idea what dogsnaturally is and don't use facebook for this sort of thing.
    Okay so, I'll get the 1 year boosters out of the way and then decide what to do after that.
    Thanks for your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

tk123 wrote: »

They last longer then 3 years! Can't find the link but some of them last 7 years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought the 2 puppy vacs plus the 1 year shot was the initial course of vacs, the subsequent ones after that are the boosters.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought the 2 puppy vacs plus the 1 year shot was the initial course of vacs, the subsequent ones after that are the boosters.

You're right. I think everyone just calls them all boosters to add to the confusion! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

My dogs are due soon too. I always got the booster. Even though they are never in kennels a vet in the past told me that they could still could get KC out and about.

Wondering whether to keep getting KC vacc?

What happens if there is an emergency and need to put my dogs in kennels? Kennels won't take dogs without cert + doesn't it take a few days for vacc to work?

odckdo wrote: »

What happens if there is an emergency and need to put my dogs in kennels? Kennels won't take dogs without cert + doesn't it take a few days for vacc to work?

I think most places expect you to have it done 2 weeks before?

ATM i'm thinking of just getting KC and Lepto - have to talk to my vet now in a few weeks and see what she says. For KC Bailey had a cough last year that the vet thought was a mild case of KC made milder by the fact he'd been vaccinated a few months before. My two have had no side affects/reactions to the lepto shot and will swim/paddle in ANYTHING. They're both due around August which is when they'll be swimming most so the length of coverage suits us fine - they tend to not swim in the river during the colder months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

We boost 12 months after the puppy vaccs. Then every 3 years. Don't believe in over vaccinating. We do it ourselves. I know... I know... Hey, they're my dogs so my responsibility.

Our 2 sleep indoors, have a secure yard, are always on leads and fed the best of grub. And they're very well bred. I just don't believe in preparing for all of these seldom seen diseases.

I don't 'buy into' all this must-do vet stuff. Look after your dogs... Check ears, nails, pads and teeth/gums weekly and if you're lucky... You won't need to see one. We've tackled most minor issues ourselves. But we've also been very very lucky.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Whatever about not continuing annual shots for distemper, parvo etc, I think it is NOT a good idea at all to let the Lepto boosters lapse. There is a new Lepto vaccine out now that covers more varieties of the bacteria. The reason it needs to be boosted every year is because it is a bacterial vaccine, not a viral one, and such vaccines tend to be relatively short-lived.
    Most dogs stand a good chance of being exposed to Lepto bacteria regularly, and it will whip the healthiest of dogs, often not diagnosed until the damage is done. Realistically, it is the one disease that most dogs stand a pretty good chance of catching, regardless of health, age, breed, or lifestyle.
    I am not an owner who vaccinates, never vax for KC, I don't treat for fleas, and I worm every so often. But I ALWAYS get the Lepto booster for the dogs every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

I never thought about not vaccinating every year. I thought the rescue I got my dog from wouldn't have vaccinated him if they didn't think it was necessary. The placeplace where we leave our dog when we go on holiday also requested proof of vaccination (but would now certainly accept him without further proof).

Now I am wondering. I always thought that vaccinating my dog was the right thing to do but never did any research about it. I also thought that treating my dog regularly against ticks and fleas was the responsible thing to do but maybe it is not? Is the small risk of contracting lime disease worth putting what another forum member described as "toxic chemicals" between my dog's shoulder blades.

I wish I could be sure I am doing the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

I must admit I vaccinate my dog every year for everything. Everyone has there different methods and mainly I go by the vet tells me if I am being honest.

One of my own is due tomorrow. 2 dogs down the road from me died from parvo last month :( one was a labby pup.

Never had a case of parvo here in this area as far as I heard so this has worried me slightly.

Briefly talked to my vet about it (while booking app) and he said the vaccine out now covers 4 strains of it (I think, was in slight rush to talk properly) They mentioned that from dogs being bought in from abroad a new strain is showing up here. I am not one to be worried easily bar when it comes to my pooches. And coming from a small area 2 cases is enough for me to get it done.

awanderer wrote: »
    I never thought about not vaccinating every year. I thought the rescue I got my dog from wouldn't have vaccinated him if they didn't think it was necessary. The placeplace where we leave our dog when we go on holiday also requested proof of vaccination (but would now certainly accept him without further proof).

Now I am wondering. I always thought that vaccinating my dog was the right thing to do but never did any research about it. I also thought that treating my dog regularly against ticks and fleas was the responsible thing to do but maybe it is not? Is the small risk of contracting lime disease worth putting what another forum member described as "toxic chemicals" between my dog's shoulder blades.

I wish I could be sure I am doing the right thing.

It really depends on your own circumstances and what environment your dog is in? Some training classes etc will require certs. If you use kennels they might want vaccinations or they might take titres certs. If you have insurance some polices require you to vaccinate or at the very least you need to have an annual health check. As I've said my two are in the water every day so there's no point in me using spot-on treatments. I've had worm counts done so don't need to worm them.
    For lepto my vet said pretty much the same as DBB so we had it done last year on her advice. One of mine had a really bad eye infection from swimming in stagnant/flood water and we were over on the vets every few days to have it checked/dyed/different drops so she has a fair idea what bugs are floating around in the water to base her advise on (I got a slap on the wrist about that one lol!! :p)

Awanderer, I'll answer your points from my own frame of reference... it's up to every owner to read up on these things and do what you're happy and comfortable with!

Vaccination: I'm happy for the dogs to get their first round of vaccines, which includes that vaccine at ~1 year of age, and from there on to get titre testing done to see that the immunity levels are still okay. Once my dogs reach older age, I don't vaccinate them at all, because they've built up a lifetime of immunity.
    The only exception is the Lepto vaccine, for reasons I explained above.

Worming: Lungworms concern me, intestinal worms not quite so much, so I worm the dogs chiefly for lungworm maybe twice a year.

Flea-treatment: I am of the very strong belief that dogs should not be treated for fleas unless they have got fleas. I haven't flea-treated my dogs in almost 12 years, the only reason I did it then was because I moved into my new-build house and the place was feckin crawling with fleas :eek:

Ticks: Most tick-killing products only kill the tick once it has latched on, and has started feeding... This surely exposes the dog to the possibility of Lyme Disease? It's not a problem around where I live, but I might have to have a re-think if we lived in a Lyme Diseasey area. As it stands, I check the dogs every night (if we've walked through likely tick habitat that day) for ticks, and if I find one, I whip it off with the tick hook.

As for your rescue dog, I run a rescue. Unless the dog is surrendered with an up-to-date vaccination card, I treat the dog as if he's never been vaccinated, and my vet starts the whole process off from the beginning. I'd guess the rescue you dealt with has the same policy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ballinasloex

We have 5 dogs and we always get ours fully vaccinated even kenel cough to be honest, worm and flea aswell ,no real reason but that's what works for us and our dogs are very healthy and there not on dear food.... I think its worth it and more so if yea have more than one!

DBB wrote: »
    Worming: Lungworms concern me, intestinal worms not quite so much, so I worm the dogs chiefly for lungworm maybe twice a year.

DBB, do you know what is the situation in general in Ireland re lungworm? Milbemax would be the main wormer for lungworm and they say to treat every month. I was wondering does lungworm apply to certain areas in Ireland more or could I get a way with treating every few months?

(Must look into Verm-X as an alternative treatment for worms - not sure if this can handle lungworm though?)

DBB, do you know what is the situation in general in Ireland re lungworm? Milbemax would be the main wormer for lungworm and they say to treat every month. I was wondering does lungworm apply to certain areas in Ireland more or could I get a way with treating every few months?

(Must look into Verm-X as an alternative treatment for worms - not sure if this can handle lungworm though?)

Sorry to hijack your comment but I use Milbermax & it lasts for 3 months.

There have been a number of confirmed lungworm deaths and near-misses in the past couple of years, but I can't remember where the dogs were from. Will check and report back :)

• Advertisement

Awanderer, I'll answer your points from my own frame of reference... it's up to every owner to read up on these things and do what you're happy and comfortable with!

Vaccination: I'm happy for the dogs to get their first round of vaccines, which includes that vaccine at ~1 year of age, and from there on to get titre testing done to see that the immunity levels are still okay. Once my dogs reach older age, I don't vaccinate them at all, because they've built up a lifetime of immunity.
    The only exception is the Lepto vaccine, for reasons I explained above.

Flea-treatment: I am of the very strong belief that dogs should not be treated for fleas unless they have got fleas. I haven't flea-treated my dogs in almost 12 years, the only reason I did it then was because I moved into my new-build house and the place was feckin crawling with fleas :eek:

Ticks: Most tick-killing products only kill the tick once it has latched on, and has started feeding... This surely exposes the dog to the possibility of Lyme Disease? It's not a problem around where I live, but I might have to have a re-think if we lived in a Lyme Diseasey area. As it stands, I check the dogs every night (if we've walked through likely tick habitat that day) for ticks, and if I find one, I whip it off with the tick hook.

As for your rescue dog, I run a rescue. Unless the dog is surrendered with an up-to-date vaccination card, I treat the dog as if he's never been vaccinated, and my vet starts the whole process off from the beginning. I'd guess the rescue you dealt with has the same policy :)

Thanks that is a useful answer as when the vet advised worming the dog, I never thought about differentiating between lung worms and intestinal worms. I must say that I thought that worming my dog once a year was enough as I never noticed any worms in his stools:eek:.

As for ticks, I thought that it would be for dogs as it seems to be for humans: the ticks need to be attached and to have been feeding for quite some time before being able to transmit the disease. So the product would be useful as it would kill the tick before it had time to do any harm. The silly thing is that I am a hillwalker and an occasional hillwalking guide and I often found some ticks on me in the evening. It never worried me but seeing one on my dog (which is easy as he is a golden lab so they are quite visible) does worry me:o. I generally see them crawling on his fur though not attached to his. skin.

Another question: do you have to go to your vet every time you want to buy a treatment or can you get them safely elsewhere for a better price?

awanderer wrote: »

As for ticks, I thought that it would be for dogs as it seems to be for humans: the ticks need to be attached and to have been feeding for quite some time before being able to transmit the disease. So the product would be useful as it would kill the tick before it had time to do any harm. The silly thing is that I am a hillwalker and an occasional hillwalking guide and I often found some ticks on me in the evening. It never worried me but seeing one on my dog (which is easy as he is a golden lab so they are quite visible) does worry me:o. I generally see them crawling on his fur though not attached to his. skin.

Ah, you see, I was not aware that it takes a while for the condition to spread from feeding tick to human... A good pal of mine from college got a brief bite from a tick before ntoicing it on her leg and removing it... and she got the disease :eek: Luckily she copped it in time... or rather, one of our lecturers did!

Getting back to lungworm, one of our posters here who knows this stuff (Anniehoo) was going to do a bit of a speil about lungworm, so Anniehoo... of you're reading this, maybe you'd do it if you get a chance? ;)
    So, Anniehoo told me last year that there were 4 confirmed cases in the space of a couple of weeks in UCD last year... this was an extraordinary occurrence at the time, but I don't know how the incidence has changed since? Could be related to greater awareness, both of owners and vets?
    All dogs were from Leinster, including Dublin and Kildare, and all were well-minded pet dogs.

Satori Rae wrote: »

But for it to be effective against lungworm (heartworm) on the makers website (Novartis) they say you have to treat once a month.

I suppose the question is: in Ireland do we need to worm our dogs for lungworm every month especially if our dogs don't have a chance of getting it?

http://ah.novartis.com.au/pethealth_products/milbemax_dog.html/section/469

"Milbemax for dogs is a broad spectrum intestinal wormer. If given monthly, it also offers prevention against heartworm."

I suppose the question is: in Ireland do we need to worm our dogs for lungworm every month especially if our dogs don't have a chance of getting it?

I don't think it's possible to prevent infestation, the idea is that regular treatments ensure you're hitting them before they get a chance to cause a problem.
    That said, there may be "hot spots" in Ireland, just as there are in the UK, and your dog isn't at much risk if it's not inclined to eat snails or slugs, as this is how they get into your dog in the first place.
    It's another one of those calculated risks based on personal choice, isn't it? I'd be inclined to ask my vet if they have had any cases in your area.

But for it to be effective against lungworm (heartworm) on the makers website (Novartis) they say you have to treat once a month.

http://ah.novartis.com.au/pethealth_products/milbemax_dog.html/section/469

"Milbemax for dogs is a broad spectrum intestinal wormer. If given monthly, it also offers prevention against heartworm."

Added prevention maybe if in high risk environment? Three months seems to do the job grand for us, I have three dogs at the min oldest one is 10 no case yet (we always use this but we skip a dose or 2 in the winter time to give them a break)

Maybe Ireland is not a high risk place for it? I'll have a chat with the vet tomorrow see what they think :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Ticks: Most tick-killing products only kill the tick once it has latched on, and has started feeding... This surely exposes the dog to the possibility of Lyme Disease?

Early removal - i.e. within two hours of the tick attaching - is key to reduce the risk of tick-borne diseases. Even the newest product - Bravecto - has only 90% tick-killing efficiency at 4hrs post-admin, 98% efficiency at 8hrs and 100% at 12hrs. As best I know, the old reliables don't reach 100% efficacy until 24-48hrs post-application. So I'd be removing a tick as soon as I spot it too, rather than waiting for the product to take effect.

Bear in mind though that ticks spend a variable amount of time properly attaching to the host and it's the first two hours after the tick's actually embedded that's important.

Also re: lungworm prevalence - this is concentrated to the east of the country - particularly Wicklow and Dublin. Factor in though that there is probably many cases going unreported outside of the metropolitan area of Dublin, and also that laboratory-confirmed diagnoses are probably going to higher in the greater Dublin area, given that it requires specialised faecal testing usually done in an outside lab such as the parasitology lab in UCD.

I certainly wouldn't dismiss the lungworm threat if living in the west of the country - the first confirmed cases of lungworm in Ireland were found in greyhounds in Limerick!

Ah, you see, I was not aware that it takes a while for the condition to spread from feeding tick to human... A good pal of mine from college got a brief bite from a tick before ntoicing it on her leg and removing it... and she got the disease :eek: Luckily she copped it in time... or rather, one of our lecturers did!

Getting back to lungworm, one of our posters here who knows this stuff (Anniehoo) was going to do a bit of a speil about lungworm, so Anniehoo... of you're reading this, maybe you'd do it if you get a chance? ;)
    So, Anniehoo told me last year that there were 4 confirmed cases in the space of a couple of weeks in UCD last year... this was an extraordinary occurrence at the time, but I don't know how the incidence has changed since? Could be related to greater awareness, both of owners and vets?
    All dogs were from Leinster, including Dublin and Kildare, and all were well-minded pet dogs.

It seems that it depends on where the info comes from. Some sites state that if the tick is removed within 1 day it should be safe, most state that it has to be removed between 3 to 4 hours and according to HSE.ie it must be removed within one hour to minimise the risks! :o

Anniehoo, I would be very interested in any info about lungworms:) !

edit: hse advise to remove the ticks within hours not an hour to minimise risks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

The Milbemax licence for lungworm is fairly recent AFAIK and specifies monthly treatment. Apparently South Dublin is a bit of a hotspot for lungworm. I'm using Milbemax and Nemaslug this year in an effort to avoid lungworms. Do they even show up in faecal or blood tests? I try to be pragmatic in terms of balancing my income and my dog's health.

Vis a vis titres, I've read that antibodies only show up if there's been a recent challenge to the immune system so a dog may well have immunity even if the titres don't show antibodies. The body memory schematic of how to produce X antibody is there but may not be present if the challenge hasn't been recent. Anyone have input on that?

I've been using Rose Geranium EO over the winter - just a drop on her collar every ten days or so and the occasional rub of diluted lemon/lavender/peppermint - for insect control but now I'm looking at options coming into the summer. Bravecto looks good but my vets don't supply it. They're suggesting Effipro. Reading around, Effitix seems better for dogs but I'd still like more info.

We have foxes, squirrels and hedgehogs visiting the area.

• Advertisement

I was wondering does lungworm apply to certain areas in Ireland more or could I get a way with treating every few months

Milbemax is only a lungworm preventative if given once a month, every month. Advocate the same.

Lungworm can be fatal. :eek: Bear in mind your dog doesn't even have to eat a snug or snail - their slime alone will do. Water and food dishes left outside can easily be contaminated. Frogs are a carrier too! There are a cluster of confirmed cases in the greater Dublin area but we don't know its overall prevalance in Ireland - there's no system of reporting it.

No wormer "lasts" a period of time - it's a treatment, not a preventative. Current recommendations are to worm healthy, adult dogs every three months, so I think that's where you're getting confused.

If given monthly Milbemax and Advocate will prevent existing lungworms from replicating, because these products can kill the immature stages.

Thanks for all the replies. Great to see a good discussion going, hopefully this will help out other people too.
    Hooked wrote: »
    We boost 12 months after the puppy vaccs. Then every 3 years. Don't believe in over vaccinating. We do it ourselves. I know... I know... Hey, they're my dogs so my responsibility.

Our 2 sleep indoors, have a secure yard, are always on leads and fed the best of grub. And they're very well bred. I just don't believe in preparing for all of these seldom seen diseases.

I don't 'buy into' all this must-do vet stuff. Look after your dogs... Check ears, nails, pads and teeth/gums weekly and if you're lucky... You won't need to see one. We've tackled most minor issues ourselves. But we've also been very very lucky.

See, that's what we have done with the 3 rescues and in all the years we've never had a problem with them but these are the first puppies we've had in a long long time and the only dogs we have insurance for so we're just trying to find the right balance between all of that.

Our dogs are always looked after in our home when we are away, it would be far too expensive to kennel all of them so I'm not particularly worried about anywhere looking for vaccination certs either.

To be honest though, I didn't really know a lot about what illnesses the vaccinations prevent, I've heard about the vaccinations and not read into it too much. For example, reading about lungworm being caused by eating slugs or snails or just their slime is something I didn't know.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Vis a vis titres, I've read that antibodies only show up if there's been a recent challenge to the immune system so a dog may well have immunity even if the titres don't show antibodies. The body memory schematic of how to produce X antibody is there but may not be present if the challenge hasn't been recent. Anyone have input on that?

I think I read something similar? He's going for his 6 month thyroid bloods anyways so I'm hoping it'll be a minimal addition in cost to get titres done - the vets fees and courier etc will have been covered anyways? Poor Bailey will be like a pin cushion! :P

For lungworm there were 3 cases at our vets a couple of years ago - one here in Glasnevin and the other 2 in their Blanch branch. Now the blog post has been shared by other sites etc and the dates are different - the vets blog is from Jan 2012 and I've seen the same article on another site last year. I saw on FB that wormcount.com had seen a increase in lungworm in samples they'd gotten in - ours were clear thank god. They do like to nibble on grass so I give the verm-x every month - the liquid seems to work out cheaper than the treats - 1 dose 3 days a month compared to treats every day.

So had a chat with my vet today sorry to hijack thread again :P

I was confused as the dogs where on monthly advocate doses along with the melba (before it covered lungworm) but my vet changed to another flea treatment and now the Melba is for lungworm (good thing this thread happened because I assumed this would cover lungworm for 3 months).

Vet said we are not high risk where we are, so it is ok to dose every 3 months. (One dog likes to eat grass so I am going to do his monthly).

I also use to give my pooches the yearly vaccinations myself, but there is a new version of vaccinations out (which we got done today it covers 2 extra strains of lepto not parvo as I thought prior).

2 different vet practices I go to said they are not selling them over the counter anymore due to the veterinary council not allowing it. Not sure if all vets will change over (never asked) So it consists of 2 shots with a break of 3/4 weeks between them.

Pooch seems ok anyway so far :)

Advertisement