Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smash Cake

Options
  • 11-05-2015 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping to make a smash cakes for my babies birthday. Obviously want it to be as healthy as possible, sugar free so all the babies can have a bit.

I've tried a few recipes I found online, most using banana, but they come out more bread-y than cake-y. Was wondering if anyone has a sugar free or even just low sugar recipe for a cake?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I'm just gonna start off by saying I don't see the point of having a smash cake at all but if that's what you want.

Secondly is there any reason as to why the cake needs to be sugar free or low in sugar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I thought the point of the smash cake was to make something lovely and pretty and then bin the lot after the baby had a go? Typically you have two. One for the baby to make a mess of, and one to serve and eat. Doesn't matter a whit what its made out of if you are doing that. Could be styrofoam. I find the concept of wasting food for a photographic opportunity tough to reconcile with parenting myself, but I guess it's a one off.

If you leave the sugar out of a cake you will end up with something that tastes like bread.

For my own children, I've no issue with using sugar as an ingredient, as healthy to me means homemade and full of flavour, texture and variety, rather than fake, packaged and bland. So I'll use loads of fresh eggs, real butter, flour, sugar, and either fresh lemons or cocoa powder to make a homemade cake. I don't use colourings, fondants, or other additives. I'll serve it to them with fresh fruit.

They're not going to eat it very often, but a birthday cake in my house is always the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I feel a bit let down. I thought it was a cake made from smash - as in the packet potato :)

Birthday cake is the same in our house as in pwurple. The one I made for my 1 year olds birthday was the banana bread (in a cake format) from the cookery club in boards. I would recommend that one as its healthier then most cakes with a nice consistency.

Either way, if you think about how little they eat of the cake anyway, that bit of sugar won't help.

I had to google smash cake. I am speechless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I know. It's an uncomfortable concept for me. The whole "starving children in africa" thing was fairly well ingrained in us as kids. I can't take food waste at all.

Cake-Smash-LaRose2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Me too. On both counts.

I always made birthday cakes for my daughters, and because their general diet was good I never skimped on the sugar, sprinkles, Smarties etc. I don't think I could handle them smashing a cake I'd made though, not even now they're grown up! It's just so wasteful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Same here. It's kind of like this "Trash the Dress" thing that certain brides are doing. Why would you purposefully destroy something that cost good money and can be put to good use?

Could you not just give them a slice of cake to smear all over themselves rather than a whole cake?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dinkie wrote: »
    I feel a bit let down. I thought it was a cake made from smash - as in the packet potato :)

Haha so did I.

What about making up some cupcakes as the cake OP? The baby / babies can smash their own cakes all the want while the grown ups munch away.
    Pull apart cupcake cakes are easy enough to make and really cool :)

https://www.google.ie/search?q=pull+apart+cupcake+cakes&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=dVBjVa6iFqvg7QaIzICgCg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=909

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Awful idea, children should be taught respect for cake from an early age :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yvonne257

What's a smash cake????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

A cake that you let a small child smash to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I'd never heard of a smash cake before. I've a baby and she will never be having a smashing cake! Good home made baking in moderation with a healthy diet means birthdays are treats to be enjoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dinkie wrote: »
    I did too. I remember looking in a cook book and there was a photo of a lovely chocolate cake, I was drooling over it, then I read the recipe and saw it was made from potato and I nearly got sick at the thought of it.

Advertisement