Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Throwdown - September 5th & 6th, Ashling Hotel, Dublin

Options
  • 11-05-2015 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Annual Premier event time.

In what is clearly a troll of the Irishness of us all, Randomselect.ie, in association with AsOne productions and Player1.ie presents Celtic Throwndown. This year we are pushing the proverbial boat out a little as we are hosting a 2 day event with 4 regional qualifying tournaments around the country and Northern Ireland.
    Year on year we have grown our annual event and this year we are breaking the mould to host the biggest and best Fighting games event of the year.

Main Tournaments
    Ultra Streetfighter 4
    Mortal Kombat X
    TTTTTTTTT2
    Smash Bros WiiU

Side tourneys
    SSF2T
    SF3 3S
    Bomberman
    Project M
    uMvC3
    Guilty Gear
    Puyopuyo

Rules are pretty standard at this point. They are available in the facebook event page description. Most importantly, no white tracksuits.

We have the venue for the evening of September 5th too, so there will be plenty of casuals, hopefully money matches and with a bit of luck some real salt.

There will be an open bar at the event. It is not an over 18's event but ID will be required for purchasing of Alcohol. If anyone under the age of 18 is found to be consuming alcohol, I will eject them from the premises. We cannot abide by it.

Event page in Facebook is available here - https://www.facebook.com/events/827279547320811/ . If you are thinking of attending, please go to this page and register your interest. It will help us plan more effectively to provide a better event.

Tickets are available for purchase online at http://bitly/cttickets

There are 4 regional qualifying road to events held in Galway, Cork, Belfast & Dublin. There will be seed points allocated to 1, 2 & 3 placed finishers for each of the games. Where a game does not have a regional qualifier, then reputation seeding will be applied. TO's ruling is final.

https://www.facebook.com/events/780488852058149/ - Galway
    https://www.facebook.com/events/384688815049854/ - Cork
    https://www.facebook.com/events/983518511669172/ - Belfast
    https://www.facebook.com/events/781066138674070/ - Dublin
    (Shout outs to the TO's for helping run these regional events - Jmmy, Chris, Mike & Nutrient)

Hope to see you all the main event in September and bring yo hype son. If you have any questions/queries just shout.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Can't make the Cork/Galway tourneys (family) but I'm down for Dublin & Belfast.

Gonna start training that Dekappa in earnest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

TTT2 will be the main game this year, T7 most likely won't be out on consoles til 2016.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Fergus_ wrote: »
    TTT2 will be the main game this year, T7 most likely won't be out on consoles til 2015.

2016? Anyway, I should be attending all the qualls, best be learning the Elena match lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    2016? Anyway, I should be attending all the qualls, best be learning the Elena match lads :D

bro-but-why-dood.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I assume by open bar, you don't mean free bar? Just I've seen it called both and I'd like to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Cork one is looking a little iffy for me ( I've got a few things happening in a short space of time then and it will also be very difficult at the moment to get a Saturday off work ) but I can definitely make the main event in September as I intend on taking some time off work around then.

Just don't expect to get drunk though as I'm thinking about flying out to somewhere warm for a few days the day after this event!

Orim wrote: »
    I assume by open bar, you don't mean free bar? Just I've seen it called both and I'd like to be sure.

It is most certainly not a free bar.

It is merely open for business

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

ayjayirl wrote: »

Not going in that case :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

D4RK ONION wrote: »

My bad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

what do all those T's stand for, Ayjay?

Tekken Tag Terrifically Tyrannical Tubular Terraform Taco Tournament 2?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It is merely open for business

Well it will be free for whoever Orim is buying the drinks for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

2 SF side tournies, Marvel, no anime tournies.
    Damn, son. The hate is real?

Not even the realest game. When's Puyopuyo, yo? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd certainly prefer if there were no side tournaments and just add GG Xrd as a fifth tournament, maybe BB:CP if Xrd not being officially released in Europe is an issue.

Only a handful of people in this community actually play ST and 3S.

Bomberman and Tetris will take up much needed time and Project M isn't even a real game.

I'd certainly prefer if there were no side tournaments and just add GG Xrd as a fifth tournament, maybe BB:CP if Xrd not being officially released in Europe is an issue.

Only a handful of people in this community actually play ST and 3S.

Bomberman and Tetris will take up much needed time and Project M isn't even a real game.

1) that's not a full list of games...
    2) it's a two day event. Time is not the usual concern it was.

2) it's a two day event. Time is not the usual concern it was.

Wouldn't it be better to have a very smooth running tournament, with plenty of extra time instead of adding unnecessary side tournaments though?

Wouldn't it be better to have a very smooth running tournament, with plenty of extra time instead of adding unnecessary side tournaments though?

It'll be smooth anyway. At large events, the second day is often taken up with side tournaments. The first day runs easier because you don't need to run top 8s (which takes a disproporionate amount of time because a lot of matches rely on the results of other matches). This isn't in any way strange or unusual :)

It will run smoothly, suggesting otherwise is a little disingenuous at this early stage. Plan stays as is for now - there is enough time

Dunno where you got tetris from?

And bomberman is legit hype.

Mostly the side tournaments are for you when you get knocked out first round of ultra.

;)

Mostly the side tournaments are for you when you get knocked out first round of ultra.

;)

Chopper v AJ ft5

Voa wrote: »
    2 SF side tournies, Marvel, no anime tournies.
    Damn, son. The hate is real?

Not even the realest game. When's Puyopuyo, yo? :pac:

Last time we put on an anime game at a big event, 6 people played in it. unib I think

uMvC3 is running as a side tournament.

Guilty Gear is also running as a side tournament.

Would another choice have been more appropriate? I thought since GG is newish it should be on and Marvel is there as a side cause of relative interest in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Chopper got Tetris from Puyopuyo-tetris, it's been blowing up casuals recently (I think).

The reason there were 6 people at that was a horrific clash of lack of forewarning and poor timing. I'll confer with other anime heads and see if it's feasible to put on either Xrd or BBCP, then get back to you, probably in PM, so you can continue to hype in this thread.

Voa wrote: »
    Chopper got Tetris from Puyopuyo-tetris, it's been blowing up casuals recently (I think).

The reason there were 6 people at that was a horrific clash of lack of forewarning and poor timing. I'll confer with other anime heads and see if it's feasible to put on either Xrd or BBCP, then get back to you, probably in PM, so you can continue to hype in this thread.

All the other games had the same planning and showed up but its irrelevant. As it stands now this is where we are

Main Events
    Ultra Streetfighter 4,
    Smash Bros for WiiU,
    Mortal Kombat X,
    TTT2

Side Tournaments
    SF2
    SF3
    Bomberman - mega most hype game ever.
    Project M
    uMvC3
    Puyopuyo
    Guilty Gear

This is a 2 day event - the final schedule for which in process and not yet finalised. The main events will all run to top 8 for the Sunday and we will have alot of setups available. Some for side tournaments, some for casuals. I'm not adversed to money/sandwich matches.

Announcement:

Nintendo are officially joining the list of sponsors and supports for Celtic Throwdown. We are delighted to announce their involvement. We are at early stages with it but it is a major step forward for the us and will help position Celtic Throwdown as the premier FG event in Ireland!

More to follow soon!

I want to thank Mike from Smash Ireland for putting me in touch :)

Gone from trying to block streams to actively sponsoring events. Some change from them.

Gone from trying to block streams to actively sponsoring events. Some change from them.

Yeh but that is a great change of stance tbh.

Especially for us in this case :)

Hey guys.

Not to be shown up by Thursday, Friday has decided that it wants an announcement too.

We are delighted to announce that the www.GrandMasterChallenge.com crew are coming to Celtic Throwdown and will be running Street Fighter 2 with RandomSelect. We are really excited about this one as it will be a real throw back to some of our older members early days.

They will be providing modded arcade boards to run it with a real vintage feel. There will be CRT's for this tournament so hardcore lag-ists will be sated.
    I want to personally thank Michael from Grand Master Challenge for his help in making this happen

Go on and like them on FB - Great lads and are really enthusiastic about coming over and representing with us.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Grand-Master-Challenge/224278210919157?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

There will be CRT's for this tournament so hardcore lag-ists will be sated.

Paging Dr.Chunkis...

Paging Dr.Chunkis...

Hopefully he'll show up and blow our minds with his lagless tatsus

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Moments like this make me wish I wasn't a mod here :mad:

• Advertisement

Turns out I forgot to post this here but I am sure we all know at this point.

Capcom are sponsoring Celtic Throwdown too. We are hopeful of developing this relationship over the coming years. This years CPT is locked down as you can imagine but all going well an we get this right and get a good turnout, we are looking for inclusion next year. If everyone in the community comes for what is shaping up to be an epic weekend.

Advertisement