Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funds sought for tiny £6 computer

• 11-05-2015 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

A Californian start-up is seeking funding to make a computer that will cost $9 (£6) in its most basic form.
    Next Thing wants $50,000 to finish development of the credit-car sized Chip computer.
    The first versions will have a 1Ghz processor, 512MB of Ram and 4GB of onboard storage.
    The gadget, due to go on general release in early 2016, could become yet another rival to the popular Raspberry Pi barebones computer.
    The Chip shares some technical elements with the Pi in that it is built around an Arm chip but it includes some networking technologies, such as wi-fi and Bluetooth 4.0, that are not present on the standard Raspberry configuration.
    The gadget can run a version of the Linux operating system and connects to monitors and displays via a basic composite connector.
    Next Thing is also planning to make a version of the Chip into a handheld gadget called the Pocket Chip that will sell for about $49.

Full article : http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32690000

Although the concept of a portable computer isn't exactly new, the idea of one you can keep on your key ring isn't too shabby!

A good way to prevent against "evil maid" attacks perhaps? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'd buy that for (half) a (dozen) dollar(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

syklops wrote:
    I'd buy that for (half) a (dozen) dollar(s).

The more advanced models have a price approaching that of the PI. Still the idea of a fully featured computer you can take with you is an excellent one if hardly new!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

AMMMM composite video ? hopefully not, no HD ? or is it composite RGB for that HD effort ?

I love my PI.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭manjosh

With that screen size, the computer is just a phone, atmost a tablet. You can't really type like a computer and am sure games is out of the question.

Advertisement